Renting an Ural in Mongolia without any experience with sidecar a bad idea?

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by Anby, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Anby

Anby n00b

Oddometer:
    Long time (10+ years :D) lurker here on this forum. My wife and I are planning a trip to Mongolia next summer. My riding buddy from India will be joining us with his wife. The ladies do not ride, and we are keen on riding. Hence, we are thinking of renting two Urals from Ulaanbaatar and exploring (to the extent we can) Mongolia for 10 days or so.

So here is the thing, neither of us have ever ridden a motorcycle with a sidecar. I understand that the handling characteristics are very different from that a motorcycle. How bad (or dangerous) an idea is it to rent a hack and to head out to the Gobi desert? We are experienced riders, but we have no idea how different/difficult it will be to learn on the go.

We are fine with the idea of riding around Ulaanbaatar for a couple of days without our spouses to make ourselves familiar to the hacks. We don't aim to go fast or cover long distances on the trip. We just want to be out there, cover whatever distance we can, camp under the star, drink and most importantly ride together after a gap of 10 years so.

Additionally, anyone who has experience renting Urals from Drive Mongolia or Cheke Tours? Please chime in with your thoughts/experiences.
    brstar likes this.
  2. out rider

out rider You Go First

Oddometer:
    Terrible idea. Unless you can get some instructions and driving time first.
  3. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Next year? Just go out and get some miles. By next year you could be reasonably competent.

Used Urals are almost like currency. You could buy one today and sell it next Spring and have it cost you next to nothing.
    Tmaximusv, 3legs, Bar None and 3 others like this.
  4. RetiredandRiding

RetiredandRiding Retired to Ride Supporter

Oddometer:
    1) Take a class in sidecar and get your 3-wheel certification. You DEFINITELY don't want to learn to ride on the trip.

2) Get Emergency Evacuation insurance, too, though many insurance policies won't cover you unless you're licensed for the vehicle.

3) Driving a sidecar is to riding a motorcycle like flying a helicopter is to flying a plane; the only thing similar is your environment.
  5. norton(kel)

norton(kel) He’s my President! Supporter

Oddometer:
    ABSOLUTLY DO IT!

As DRONE says buy a used rig, learn to ride it and go have the trip of a lifetime :clap:clap:clap
  6. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep! Take a class. Buy a used Ural and practice, practice and then practice.
  7. Anby

Anby n00b

Oddometer:
    Going by everyone's opinion, I will sign up for the basic sidecar course offered by Evergreen Motorcycle Safety.
    Wait. I thought Washington state is the only place that requires a separate certification for sidecars? I will start researching on emergency evacuation insurance, it had not crossed my mind earlier..

The more I think about it, the better the idea of buying a used Ural to get some practice sounds. My issue is space, I live away from home and rent a tiny room in the Bay area with one parking spot. Wish I had a garage to store one and do basic maintenance on.
    Tmaximusv and Bobmws like this.
  8. RetiredandRiding

RetiredandRiding Retired to Ride Supporter

Oddometer:
    According to this, https://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/motorcycle-licenses/, Delaware and Oregon also require a 3-wheel endorsement. Since this source does NOT mention the requirement in Washington, it may've missed other states.

Re a garage, could you and your friend split the cost of a storage warehouse that could house the rig?
  9. Ridn3

Ridn3 Lopsidd

Oddometer:
    Virginia now issues a 2 wheel endorsement and a 3 wheel endorsement. Anybody who already had an M endorsement 6 years ago when it changed can still ride either. Newer riders must pick one or test on both.
    Anby likes this.
  10. Wolfgang55

Wolfgang55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is going to be great.........be sure to invest in a camera mount on the rig.

You might think about a helmet to helmet radio.

You folks are going to have a fantastic time.
    Anby likes this.
  11. el Pete

el Pete toda su base

Oddometer:
    Excellent idea! Take it easy at first, go slow and you'll be fine.
    Anby likes this.
  12. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    Anby likes this.
  13. Prmurat

Prmurat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Go and see Ski at Triquest : I am sure he will find a solution to help you (incl a cheap Ural). He is a great guy and very helpful! Worst: you’ll be able to test ride a Ural! I bought two Ural from him and he is the best! I still have pals from my 20 years in SF and I’ll check around for help!
    http://www.triquestcycles.com
    Tmaximusv, Anby, norton(kel) and 2 others like this.
  14. Anby

Anby n00b

Oddometer:
    Renting a garage will be a good idea. This friend of mine I am planning to ride with lives in India. I will try to find someone here in the Bay area to share a garage with. I did do some searching on the web, $100-125 seems like an average price. Expensive!

Ah, now I get why there are sidecar riding classes being offered in Virginia.

I was thinking of bringing my tripod & Gorillapod to set up my DSLR to take still shots with.

I will make a trip to Triquest when my wife visits the Bay area around Thanksgiving. The sidecar idea is entirely hers, I would have been happy with two wheels. :D
  15. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  16. bk brkr baker

bk brkr baker Long timer

Oddometer:
    You'll be fine , Safety Third !
    caycek5 likes this.