Repair That Old Riding Suit: Rugged Thread, Bend, Oregon

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Mtnbiker1966, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Mtnbiker1966

Mtnbiker1966 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I purchased my Aerostich Darian Roadcrafter in 2004. It’s been a fine suit and I’ve had no problems. It’s seen about 80+k miles. This suit provided many a good riding hour much to my delight—confirming that its cost was with every penny.

Overall, this thing’s been solid. Recently, I noticed a slight bit of fraying on the left elbow and thought it’s time to send it back to the experts at Aeorstich for repair. My beautiful lady reminded me we live in Bend, Oregon and that, more than likely, there’s a local shop that probably could do the repair. After a brief search on Google we found Rugged Thread, a local gear repair shop. They repair just about anything: bags, boots, jackets…well the list goes on.

AND THEY REPAIR MOTORBIKE GEAR.

Ergo…

I love my Aerostich Darian Suit. I’ve lived in this thing for years from freezing temps to 105 degrees. Many a good memory…but I hate the zipper cuffs. They really don’t seal like they should, and, it seems that no matter how hard you try, they never zip all the way up. I love you Aerostich, but call Kim at Rugged Thread because she has come up with the answer: Velcro.

My lady and I walk in to Rugged Thread on a beautiful late Summer morning: there’s Kim. I show her the suit, the fraying and she says no problem, we do the repairs for all Moskow Moto bags. I can repair that—and it’ll be better.

So, I say what about these zipper cuffs…any ideas? After about 5-7 minutes of brainstorming we come up with the perfect solution.

I picked up my suit from Rugged Thread: The elbow is repaired with the proper Denier Cordura, AND Kim engineered a whole new cuff system on my suit. This solution is absolutely perfect. I can synch down the cuffs on any sized glove, quickly adjust the tension while riding down the road, and quickly release the cuffs when taking the suit off. Check it out here.

Brilliant work Kim and team at Rugged Thread. Thank you, Thank you for taking my Darian Roadcrafter to the next level. We’ll be by soon to drop my wife’s suit off for the same upgrade. Keep up the great work!!
    Xchemie and Oldsport79 like this.
  2. Mtnbiker1966

Mtnbiker1966 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And, Rugged Thread does mail order as well. So, anything you need repaired ship to Kim and it'll be done. Enjoy!
  3. Hohmie

Hohmie Long timer

Oddometer:
    They are the go to for a few of the motorcycle accessorie companies, a couple of them right here in Bend.
    Mtnbiker1966 likes this.
  4. dietDrThunder

dietDrThunder Why so serious, son? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good to know!

Also, inmate 'AkaRob' is in New England, and does excellent repairs and customizations for prices bordering on the absurd (in a good way). I recently had him shorten the sleeves of my Icon Raiden DKR jacket, as well as add velcro collar stays, and the work was impeccable, fast, and cheap. Apparently, you can have all three.
    Mtnbiker1966 likes this.