I asked a long while back (http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/2009-gs-adv-aux-light-switch-replacement.1027682/) about the ease in replacing the aux light switch... in the time that passed it went from intermittent to just plain not working. So I ordered a new one, installed it, and set about to seeing what what wrong with the old one. The top of the switch is held on by a pair of posts on the base of the unit. You can see the lighter gray poking through. Since I already had a working one on the bike I didn't care if I ruined this one completely in tearing it apart (but, as you'll see, I actually fixed it). The base of the top has a spring-loaded plunger that provides the positive detents for the unit. In my case it didn't at all want to spring apart. It was quite content to sit there until I pulled it apart. The base had a plunger than matches the cutout in the top of the switch. Which then pushes a tac switch that's buried in the base surrounded by a rubber sleeve. The problem I was having was that even in the "switched on" position the actual microswitch in the unit wasn't getting pressed down enough to make contact. Solution: I grabbed an 0805 capacitor I had around (no, you can use anything, this was just convenient for me... heck a small blob of epoxy is more than enough) Essentially, all you need to do is make the plunger have a little bit more reach to get to the microswitch on the bottom. Once you get solid contact, you have a fully working switch again. Problem: Solved! And now I have a spare switch I'll likely never need. I guess it's like insurance... another part to never break -- and I'd be able to fix the new one just as easily too. Oh well.