Repeatedly flat front

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by apostis, Sep 30, 2019.

1. apostis

apostis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi,
    I had a flat tire on 2018 KLR650 a month ago.

The inner tube had a slit like puncture. I couldn't find anything on the tire thought.

I put in a new heavy duty tube and a new tire.

Today about a month later or less I have another flat tire, front tire again.

What the heck is going on?
    Has anyone experienced this before?
    I'm riding about 6 miles a day, just commuting, no offroading or anything like that.
    New tire is a Shinko sr244. Before it was the original one from when it was new.

Is this a warranty case?
  2. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    a slit... where? there was a thread here a month or so ago where a tube let go on the welded seam and others chimed in with similar examples. the post also have a video on how tubes are made.

what brand and do you have a picture
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  3. Hohmie

Hohmie Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a broken rim lock that would pinch the tire, I didn't figure it out until I fully dismounted everything.
  4. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    Pictures of the slit in the tube would be a huge help.
  5. bwringer

bwringer Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer:
    No rim locks on KLRs.

There are tubes and then there are tubes. Some no-name tubes are shitty tubes, so if you got a shitty one and it split at the seam, is it possible you got another shitty tube?

It's also quite possible to have a rim with a little burr that's flattening your tubes over and over. I've seen this on bicycles more than once.

The number one cause of tube punctures is installing them, but AFAIK these always leak immediately. Never really heard of a time delay pinch puncture.

Edit: Just remembered something... it's possible for something like a shard of glass or a nail to get embedded in the tire tread and only poke through under pressure. Even if you can't see or feel anything on the inside, figure out where it's deflating and give the area a VERY thorough inspection close-up.

Or install another Shinko 244. They cost about the same as a decent cheeseburger.
  6. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    a "slit" in the tube sounds like a tube fail unless there is a really big gash in the sidewall from something sharp, or wrong with the rim (can't picture what). now I'm talkin about clean edges on the cut and not some rub through like you might get from a rimlock. KLRs did not come with locks, but it has been done
  7. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Every time I have seen someone get repeated flats despite hardly riding there was a thorn, nail or something through the tire they didn't see. My BIL being the last victim after using up all my tubes. When I ran fingers over the inside if his tire I found the thorn he swore wasn't there.
    KeithinSC, dtysdalx2 and sieg like this.
  8. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:

What the heck is going on? Well tell us what you found on the second tube, besides that it had no air in it. Was it the same slit as last time?
    Has anyone experienced this before? Experienced what? Two front flats in a month, lots of times.
  9. apostis

apostis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Firstly thanks for the answers so far.

To clear a few things up.

The bike is 8 months old.
    The first tire and tube were the original ones.
    The tube had a tiny slit of maybe 2mm in length. Pic attached.
    On the the tire itself I couldn't find any issue.
    The tire was at the end of it's thread life with 2-3mm of tread left.
    As we all know 2mm is when you should get a new one.

So I took that opportunity and did that.
    I bought a new heavy duty tube as well, I will see if I can find the brand but it was about $18 in USD, and a new Shinko sr244.

I installed those and everything was fine for about 600km.

Now the new tube is flat as well.
    I will dismantle it on the weekend but my guess is it's the same failure, I don't know why else it would be flat. The Sr244 is very knobby so I would have assumed it would take a lot to either penetrate those big knobs or get through valleys of the knobs. The walls of the tire don't have any apparent damage on the outside. I haven't seen anything in the center area either but I have to take a better look.

Edit: picture is the old tube mind you. I haven't had a chance to take out the new one that's also broken yet.

Attached Files:

10. Bounder

Bounder Typing...

Oddometer:
    Put the tube next to the Tyre (Tire) and see where the slit is in relation to the tyre and run your bare fingers around the tyre inside. You might find some debris in the tyre that isn't apparent to the eye.
    trumpet likes this.
  11. apostis

apostis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The picture is the old one but yes if I do find a puncture in the new one I will do that.
  12. sieg

Oddometer:
    So different tire, different tube, different tube of tube. Seems to be totally unrelated, you just got unlucky.
    Beezer, Bigger Al and MotoChris521 like this.
  13. Yinzer Moto

Yinzer Moto aka: trailer Rails Supporter

Oddometer:
    Flat tires are usually just bad luck. There is nothing wrong with 2 flats in 8 months. On a recent trip, we had 7 flats in 12 days of travel.

When there is a slit, that is usually from the tub getting pinched. A pinch can happen when the tube is low on air. The tube could be low because of a small hole that is elsewhere on it. Just finding a pinch is not the end of your search. Hold that closed with your fingers and reinflate and look for another hole. Another thing to look for, it was rumored that the Shinko factory left foil backed ID tags in tires and people were blaming them for flats. I have not witnessed this first hand.
  14. apostis

apostis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That just seems so extremely unlikely. On a new knobby tire especially.

Edit: it's not 8 months, the bike is 8 months old. It's two flat tires within about one month. Just from commuting on asphalt. That just doesn't seem realistic to me. ESPECIALLY considering there is no puncture. And the second tire is a new heavy knobby one with 1cm deep knobs. And the new tube being extra thick. It just seems super fishy to me.

If I was using the same tire still, or the new tube wasn't an extra thick one or I don't know. But under these circumstances it seems really unlikely to me that this is a coincidence.

I'll make sure to look for multiple holes on the new broken one when I have it removed.
  15. Bigger Al

Bigger Al Still a stupid tire guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    The pic looks like a split along where the tube was folded in the box, telling me that it's an older tube. Happens once in a while.
  16. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    that looks like a snake bite (pinch flat) to me.

pull the tire off and wipe it with a dry was off toilet paper. if there is a thorn/staple/etc it will pull paper and mark the spit for you.

sometimes you need some pressure on the tire to push the thorn through far enough to feel it.
  17. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are you sure that part of the tube is against the tire and not the rim? Feel the rim for a burr. Clean it up with scotch pad on a die grinder or good by hand. Check the rim strip for damage or a spoke poking through. Then give the rim a few wraps of duct tape or gorilla tape. Also put some powder in the tire when installing the next new tube.
    katbeanz, Wentwest and JohnE65c like this.
  18. JohnE65c

JohnE65c Been here awhile Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1. Check the spoke nipples for burrs. Check to make sure that no spokes are extending beyond the nipple end. Especially if you happened to tighten any spokes over time.
    katbeanz likes this.
  19. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah I've also seen where someone accidentally nicked the rim with a tire iron when changing a tire. Things happen. Always good to inspect and clean the rim real well before installing a tire or tube
  20. sieg

Oddometer:
    I left a tire iron in the tire once. Yeah I don't know how that could happen.
    nickguzzi and Sonny S. like this.