Replace stock BMW driving lights with Clearwater on a 2017 GSA??

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by JaredKirkman, Nov 16, 2017.

1. DocSpook

DocSpook Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I started with the universal kit.... now i have the canopener and the Clearwaters are AMAZING!!!,

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  2. JaredKirkman

JaredKirkman All Rifles Matter

Oddometer:
    I actually have the CanSwitch!! I was just talking to Dirk today. Lol... Anyway, I use it for my Whelen add on brake light. I guess I’ll just bite the bullet and stop being lazy.... I was going for super simple install, I’ll have to settle for more work but more functionality.

Thank you all for your advice!
  3. tentative_rider

tentative_rider Wanna Be On Gravel

Oddometer:
    If you end up putting anything bigger than Darla on the stock BMW mount points they will be damaged in a crash. Use CW kit and mount to front crash bar extension like this (or similar) IMG_9585.jpg IMG_9587.jpg
  4. ErikMotoMan

ErikMotoMan Airbag crash survivor!

Oddometer:
    In Motorcycle Heaven since 1990 - So Cal!
    To answer OP's original question, specifically: yes you can use Clearwater Darla lights in place of your stock fog lights, and yes, you can use them with out the CanOpener and, yes, you can wire them directly to your fog light switch. They draw 3.9 to 4.1 Amps. More light than you can shake a stick at. The Darla's work fine using only + and - hookups, but you can't dim them. Unless you use the CanOpener, or, in my case the Neutrino. If you want to use a larger Clearwater light, you should know that the amperage draw on those may or may not preclude using the BMW switch and wiring.

Now, having said all of the above, just buy the CanOpener. It works. It's plugnplay. It also allows you to add the Billie tail/brake light. OP said he uses a Whelen brake light, which I have also used on my other bikes, but it doesn't have the dual functions and it's not as bright as the Billie. One of the problems with the BMW LED tail light on the GS LC is that it is dim in daylight, particularly in direct sunlight. The Billie solves that problem very well.
  5. Advdave

Advdave jubilado

Oddometer:
    What ErikMotoMan said. Nailed it.
    JaredKirkman likes this.
  6. tentative_rider

tentative_rider Wanna Be On Gravel

Oddometer:
    Agree with all the above.

And running Darla at 100% (or any CW light) into oncoming traffic can present a real danger especially at night, you will blind the oncoming traffic. Daytime you risk mostly lewd gestures and honks but at night if you forget to shut them off you could really cause someone to go into the ditch.

TR
  7. onatur

onatur Bastard

Oddometer:
    If I understand all this info correctly, the stock aux lights draw 4 AMPS. So if I can find another set of light that draw 4 amps, I can use the stock switch. Just need to wire up the new lights to the existing wiring and off i go.
  8. mikegc

mikegc Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    I did just that with my '09 GSA. With the '14, I tried it but no cigar . . . fault code. With the '18, I tried to wire the fuse panel trigger to the tail light and that tossed a fault code. I think you're in for a real project. Good luck. (I have Clearwater lights via their CanOpener. They're simply plug 'n play. You can dim them or turn them on/off without adding anything.)

Mike
    onatur likes this.
  9. Lead Wrist

Lead Wrist More Gelände less Straße

Oddometer:
    There is an assortment of wiring harness' options at beyond inexpensive prices all together with switch(es), relays and all else not to mess with OE wiring harness at all... You can hide the switch inside the handguards or place it anywhere you feel like, depending on type of switch your harness of choice comes with...

Random example: https://www.amazon.com/Nilight-Wiri...og+light+wiring+ha,aps,158&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1
    onatur likes this.
  10. bikermd

bikermd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All of our aftermarket lights are not DOT approved and technically are not to be used on roads. There are very specific rules that must be followed to be DOT approved. I would keep the headlight legal and add the other lights as auxillary. It gives you a good out if you get stopped. In some places if you do not have an approved DOT headlight you will not pass inspection. Plus for me the more light the better.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  11. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    My standard OP is I keep the OEM Aux lights on at all times and I keep the Darlas at 10% mounted very low (front fork). the 100+ cops I've passed have never even touched their brake lights to think of turning around and ask me questions. I do not run my Erica or Sevina lights on the road except at night on back roads where no one is around and they turn on when I engage the high beam. I think this is the best way to not be a dick on the roads but also be seen.

I agree with BikerMD. Any LEDs you buy won't be DOT approved and the primary reason is the beam's direction and cut-off point. It needs to not shine up high enough to blind people so it has to have a cut-off no matter what wattage you run. Darla's at 10% are equivalent in power to the OEM Aux lights so they're safe enough while still being technically illegal that I run them 24/7.
    mikegc likes this.
  12. onatur

onatur Bastard

Oddometer:
    Had anyone changed the lenses on the factory fog lights? Something to put more light down the road, less to the sides of the road.
  13. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    I think you need spot ie. driving lights for that task - they put much more light down the road! The fog or flood lights make you more visible to others than throw light down the road - kinda wrong application...

Ideally, you'd run both: a set of fogs/floods and a set of spots/driving lights, wire them to come on with high beams, and cover all of your needs...

:thumb
    mikegc likes this.
  14. H-Jay

H-Jay Mo 2 C

Oddometer:
    At the risk of getting out of the Clearwater Canopener parade line... I wanted plug and play and the flexibility of adding other accessories. So I installed a set of Darlas, without the Canopener, but with an EZcan. Could not be happier with the flexibility and the clean install.
  15. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    There was a Canopener parade line? Where is it?? :lol3

If getting just Darla's, then you do have other options such as your EZ thingmajig. If you get any other Clearwater lights up from Darla's, Canopener comes with them so after paying an entry price, one may as well use it - nothing wrong with either approach... :thumb
  16. toowoomba

toowoomba Certified BMW Therapist MCCL Supporter

Oddometer:
    Damnit! You FF’s need to start adding warnings to your posts before uploading pics of your blazing light artillery cannon blasters. My freaking retinas were just starting to recover from an earlier post of LED turn signals...
    tentative_rider likes this.
  17. KPK

KPK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    upload_2019-5-23_10-8-1.jpeg

Installed my Sevina on the lower bars and kept the stock fogs in place. You can never have enough light!
    I thought the stock lights were amazing until I ran Clearwater lights. I turned them of accidently on a trip once and coud not believe how dim they are compared to now. They literally turn night riding into daytime!

Attached Files:

toowoomba and mikegc like this.
  18. H-Jay

H-Jay Mo 2 C

Oddometer:
    Just to be clear, my dealer ordered the Darlas for me without the Canopener. With the xEZ Can I installed and can customize an additional horn and a aux brake light that flashes on decelerations.
  19. Lead Wrist

Oddometer:
    Got it - ty...

Not sure which dealer you dealt with in MI and if they took the time to explain that Canopener also has provisions for additional horn and brake lights... But, it's all well when ends swell and you got what you wanted!! :D
  20. StormRIder01

StormRIder01 n00b

Oddometer:
    Did you get the new ezcan with 3 wire lights?