Replaced my Garmin 590 GPs battery for $5

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Ozi, Apr 1, 2017.

1. Ozi

Ozi live in the moment, life is short

Oddometer:
    My Garmin 590 GPS battery had lost most of it's capacity (due to fake "off" state) - to the point where it would run for 10 mins when off the bike, then shut down. I like to remove my GPS and sit in the shade and plan trip routes in the trip planner... so time for a new battery. I knew the OEM batteries would be a rip-off - but was surprised to find them at 1000% mark-up by Garmin and TT.

I know LiPo's as i use them in my drones i make (Lithium Polymer) and looked around for an identical battery that would do the same job at "market price" - found a candidate HERE which is also 1s 3.7v cell of 2000mah capacity and similar size for $5 Aussie price. After installing it and riding for a few weeks i can report its working well.

These $5 LiPos come with a small PCB charger-circuit which i removed (de-soldered) then i soldered back the Garmin charge-circuit & plug (from my old Garmin LiPo) and taped it up for the test rides. it needs soldering skills to do this hack. But overall works identically to the original one, fits perfectly.

[​IMG]
    Heinkel150 and Suncoaster like this.
  2. Ozi

Oddometer:
    reserved
  3. RetiredandRiding

RetiredandRiding Retired to Ride Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ozi likes this.
  4. Ozi

Oddometer:
    Looks to be the same cell :)
  5. dddd

dddd Long timer

Oddometer:
    "2018, in the news: A man lost his life on a motorcycle when loosing control after catching fire from a li-po battery explosion.
    The officials say that the man hacked his gps battery with an unsuited charging current control. The gps standing in front of himself and in proximity of the motorcycle tank left no chance to the poor bloke."
    DRONE likes this.
  6. Ozi

Oddometer:
    fake news ...
  7. Ozi

Oddometer:
    Lithium batteries are not voodoo magic, simple education issue - knowledge = safety - even for fake french people living in Canadian-France haha. ... news flash -> motorcycles are banned in Quebec City as are winter tyres for motorbikes - slide and die - ultimate in Fake stupidity risking real lives... in real news
  8. dddd

dddd Long timer

Oddometer:
    Darwin award coming up... Li-on != Li Po

And man you are so way off. Only some roads in QC are closed to motorcycle, for very good reasons, as in avoid stupid moronic straight pipes mototourists making life miserable to hundreds of others citizens and tourists.

As for winter tires, in QC there is a winter tires law and you cannot use roads in winter without winter tires. Since there are no approved winter tires for motorcycle, there is no motorcycling in winter, period. Nobody slides nor dies (which is obviously less than elsewhere). Shows your BS.

And if over 400 years later we are still fake french, then you must still be an outlaw, right?
  9. Ozi

Oddometer:
    fellow inmates - the Garmin battery charge pcb circuit takes the incoming 5v (from the Zumo plug) and charges the internal lithium to 4.1v maximum (measured) at approx 300ma rate of charge - 4.1v is perfectly safe limit for both Li-on and LiPo - the battery remains cool at all times - I have had this hack running for while - and no issues ; none

PS: If your Canadian-fake-French then be sure to shout "le sky is falling on your head, fire, fire!! " and get the OEM battery for $50-$100 and make sure it has snowflake on the side. If youre a real French person you know that Liberté is the most important thing in life - and you would never ban motorbikes from anywhere, or make up fake rules about "non-approved ice" tyres - nor would you fine and tow away bikes fitted with metal studs for ice. Also if you were real French you would not say "period" cause that's just plain Americano lingo.
  10. dddd

dddd Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't give a shit where I come from; I'm beyond that and I look forward, not back. Only you seems to care to justify cheap attempts at insults.
    These tires laws are not there to piss people off; you are just too egocentric to understand why people smarter than you made those choices for the public.
  11. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    whats this about fines for riding in the winter ? people asked for that law ?
  12. dddd

dddd Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you have a license from outside QC province, you don't have to worry.

If you have a license from QC province (qc province resident thus paxing tax to qc goverment), you have to obey the winter tire law (approved winter tires between dec 15th to march 15th). Approved means "the snowflake" on the tire side. There is no such thing for motorcycle (actually maybe one manufacturer, but too little size selection). Therefore, by extension one QC licensed bike cannot legally ride in the dec15 -march15 time.

Nobody I know cares about that limitation. It is generally too cold, ice or snow covered and we have better things to do anyway (like snowmobile and skiing) then try to plow through with a 1-wheel drive. We just got 2 inches last weekend. Ive seen 10 inches on april 10th and on nov. 15th a while ago. This year on march 15th, 18 inches or snow. So that period, no rider misses it...

As a society, we choose to not endorse idiots that will hurt themselves and cost money in the healthcare. Majority rules.

Not a quebecer? no problem. Some BC guy went to manic5 in winter! Almost died frozen, but totally legal.
    You might get stopped for verification if they haven't seen your slush covered license plate...
  13. Ozi

Oddometer:
    @ohgood - see - 31:20 ; These English riders fined and towed because their tyres had ice studs.
  14. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

sounds like our nanny state stuff... don't ride a bicycle after two beers (poor quality 'merica! piss beer!) because you'll hurt yourself, maybe, and besides we can fine you big time for having fun, even on your own property.

the snowflake part is interesting. i guess you could use your own warmed up stamp to apply that, but then they would probably look for a dot stamp out whatever your government uses to identify road compliant tires? it blinker fluid? or decibels?

there is always something to fine you for, on motorcycles.

i could care less about riding in ice, if you stud the tires or whatever, kind of like your decision preferences and browser history, i just don't care.

if two strokes were legal tomorrow, there might be 3/1,000,000 that would actually start commuting on one, (thanks to air conditioning and other"softening conveniences if modern society ") but oh no, it's for the environment,... so they say.

if every tire was checked for a snowflake here, people just would not stop. running is much more hazardous than just riding by, but we forget simple things like that when law enforcement is the goal.

I've tried snow it was a blast. ice was stupid. if someone wants to try it, they should. that's my take.
    dddd likes this.
  15. GCecchetto

GCecchetto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anybody seen the new bear cubs at the zoo?
  16. Ozi

Oddometer:
    2 months after install the $5 DIY battery is still working great in my Garmin 590
  17. drag123

drag123 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can you give as a step by step instructions of how to do this?
  18. Ozi

Oddometer:
    first the usual at your own risk, lawyer BS warnings - if you don't understand LiPos or the dangers of shorting a LiPo/reverse polarity etc - suggest Don't try this hack.

Basically, summary - only the cell itself is replaced (not the micro charger circuit on the end of the cell, as the original is re-used) ; you will need some insulation tape; i use painter blue masking tape.
    1. harvest the IC charger circuit/plug/wires from your old dead Lion battery (otherwise you will get a battery? impasse warning at startup) ; make sure to note the +ve and -ve terminals before you forget the polarity
    2. unsolder/remove charger circuit pcb from the new $5 LiPo and discard it.
    3. solder the original 590 cell circuit (red +ve & black -ve wires ) to the new Lipo ; insulate
    4. charge the GPS on USB ; done

Becuase you're charging a LiPo with a Lion circuit it only reaches a 4.1v max - my hack has been working fine for 8 weeks now - no issues.
    Important user Note for 590 : The Garmin system uses fake OFF - aka SLEEP if you just turn it off with a short press :( - so at the end of the days ride, I always say "NO" to auto off - then i LONG PRESS the pwr button for 5 secs to FULLY turn the 590 off - otherwise it tends to drain the 590 battery in sleep state.
  19. johnny80s

johnny80s Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ozi this great thanks for posting. I have a noob question.

1 how do I tell which post is positive and which is negative?
  20. Heinkel150

Heinkel150 n00b

Oddometer:
    Noob here, so apologies if this is not correct to do, but just to say a huge thank you for this one. Just did the same thing for my 590LM tonight, 20 minutes work with a Stanley knife, a small soldering iron and a multi-tester and I now have a fully functioning Zumo 590 that keeps its charge for €4.99 plus shipping. I bought two of the referenced batteries in case I screwed one up, but all was fine first go, so now I have a spare as well. God bless the Internet and mans continuing ingenuity out there!

Picture of the wee beastie sitting snug in its new home.

Attached Files: