Replacement Battery Options

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by MotoMatt, Feb 13, 2006.

1. MotoMatt

MotoMatt Slacker Wannabe

Oddometer:
    My original ('04) battery died with nary a warning. I charged it once and it lasted about a week. Anyone try a non Yuasa battery as a replacement? The local shop wants $133 plus tax etc. for a new Yuasa. The local Batteries Plus store has a replacement, their own brand name, for $79. Now I can afford the $133, but jeez, my gen-u-wine beemer battery was cheaper. I'm tempted to try the off brand...
  2. PvtIdaho

PvtIdaho Deck Spotter

Oddometer:
    Have you considered one of the AGM type batteries?

I haven't researched it for the 950, but I just got one to replace the stocker in the GS.

It was $69.75 from Odyssey World (on ebay). That's with shipping. Took 4 days from clicking "buy it now" to having it on my door step.

For the prices you've been quoted, it would be a cheaper, and if compatible, probably better.

I found the seller via some threads on the GSpot.

Cheers
  3. dirtyboy

dirtyboy Wheel spinner

Oddometer:
    AGM (absorbed glass mat) is the way to go. And Odyssey is the leader. I haven't checked either, but I'd be surprised if they don't make one to fit the 9fiddy.

We've been using Odysseys for auxiliary power in cop cars, 2150CCA! And you can run them to 0 volts many many times without damage to the battery (alternators are a different story).:evil Optimas don't hold a candle to these things.
  4. MotoMatt

MotoMatt Slacker Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Odyssey doesn't make one to directly fit the 950 according to the local Odyssey dealer. Impressive batteries, hopefully they'll offer one soon. They refer to them as "dry cells", anyone know what chemistry they use?
    The 950 uses the same battery as a Honda ST1300, so the volume may actually be there to get Odyssey's attention.
    I decided to try the Batteries Plus brand "XTREME". It's an AGM direct replacement for the Yuasa for $79, one year warranty.
  5. luv2lean

luv2lean not lost til out of gas

Oddometer:
    My battery seems to be getting weak. So.......Just checking in and reviving this thread to see if there is now an oddessy battery that fits or near fits in the 950. I have shimmed PC680s in the R100GS's very successfully and wonder if anybody has tried a similar fitting in the 950?
  6. kitjv

kitjv "Old Guys Rule"!

Oddometer:
    WestCo markets AGM batteries that I have used in my BMW, Ducati, & Honda. The batteries themseleves are made by Panasonic. After using these batteries, I will never go back to an acid/lead battery again.

Although WestCo does not list the KTM 950 Adventure on their application chart, I contacted their marketing guy (with whom I have worked in the past) to see if an appropriate size battery is available. If not, I will try to use a bit of persuasion to intice the company to have one available soon.

I'll pass along any info I receive.
  7. NothingClever

NothingClever Dirt Winger

Oddometer:
    1) I found the Yuasa YTZ14S for U$D92.54 as of 14 Jan 07 at Tires Unlimited.

2) Further digging around the internet showed an equivalent battery made by Koyo Battery Company in Taiwan. They seemed (to me) to be a reputable company with the usual credentials of a high-quality manufacturer (ISO and UL approval).

The product data is about 2/3 of the way down the first table.

3) One of their North American retailers, Battery Service Corporation in Chicago, asks U$D66.95 for the battery. Retail lists U$D120.95.

Feel free to compare CCAs, dimensions & terminal sides.

As for me, I think I've already found my replacement battery. The extra dosh I'll save will be enough to fill my tank about 4 times which probably comes out to about 600 miles.

Boogie on...
  8. SamM

SamM Jeep Overlander

Oddometer:
    There is a direct AGM replacement battery available for the KTM 950 Adventure. It is available from eProducts To Go: www.eBatteriesToGo.com Their phone number is: 866-330-5414

The part number for the 950 replacement battery is: (WPZ14S) It is listed as a replacement for the YTZ14S Yuasa battery that comes stock in the KTM 950.

It cost me exactly $79.95 with free shipping!

The AGM battery is exactly the same size as the stock battery. It fits perfectly into the rubber sleeve and then slides right in place, just as the Yuasa does. It has the correct polarity for the 950 wiring and features 250CCA. More than the stock Yuasa. I charged my stock battery for 2 weeks and then installed it in the bike. The bike would not start. I then installed the new AGM battery and she fired right up! I've had my new battery for over 3 weeks. The bike sat for 2 weeks after I first tested it with the new battery. After 2 weeks she again fired right up. This is something that would never happen with the stock battery. I suspect it was bad from day one! I couldn't be happier with my new battery!

I also just bought a new Westco battery from MK battery. This is for my '05 Yamaha WR250F. The stock Yuasa also puked and died in that bike. The Westco battery cost me $30 so, I bought a new Accumate charger in case a ever need a good charger. The total for the battery, charger and a wall mount was under $100 at $90.81. Free shipping included!

I hope this helps!
  9. Chipper

Chipper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  10. cpmodem

cpmodem Orange Caveman

Oddometer:
    masa yee yah tee 59° 14' 9" N / 135° 26' 42" W
    This is all very interesting reading. It almost sounds like some of the 950's were shipped with NON-AGM batteries. My early '04 (6/03) came from the factory with a Yuasa AGM battery. Same battery, BTW, that comes in the Honda ST1300. Its still goin' strong after 3 1/2 years.
    -cp
  11. SamM

SamM Jeep Overlander

Oddometer:
    It's the same battery. I only paid $79.95 for mine! It was ordered and received just before the new year, so maybe they had a price increase.

As for how it works! She starts every time. The 950 has been sitting for over a month and I've started it 2 or 3 times after waiting at least a week. She fires right up! I've never hooked a charger to it!

My original battery was a sealed unit but I'm not sure if it's an AGM or not! As I said in my orginial post, I charged it for 2 weeks on a Battery Tender and then installed it and tried to start the bike. No Go! After the new battery was installed it started right up! The new (WPZ14S) battery is an AGM. Incidentally, it was manufactured in Viet Nam. Not that it matters to me! Some might be bothered by that!
  12. cpmodem

cpmodem Orange Caveman

Oddometer:
    Its been my experience that AGM's fail quite suddenly. No warning. Gotta give up something for extra cranking power, I suppose.
    -cp
  13. cpmodem

cpmodem Orange Caveman

Oddometer:
    This is what the OEM battery in my '04 looks like:
    -cp

[​IMG]
  14. Mr D Hertz

Mr D Hertz Old and Tired Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Based on this post and my lousy battery, I just replaced the stock Yuasa that wouldn't hold a charge for more than 48 hours with this AGM battery. I can certainly confirm that it does fit perfectly, and that it does now cost more (a little over 90.00). However, delivery was FAST and my bike is now starting easily.
  15. SamM

SamM Jeep Overlander

Oddometer:
    I guess I bought mine at the right time then. I have the invoice here in front of me and I paid $79.95 with free shipping.
  16. Mr D Hertz

Mr D Hertz Old and Tired Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Congratulations!
    I hope you and your eleven bucks will be very happy together.:rofl
  17. SamM

SamM Jeep Overlander

Oddometer:
    It seemed like my price was doubted ...and yes, me and my 11 bucks are quite happy! :1drink Just confirming my price!

Your welcome!
  18. luv2lean

luv2lean not lost til out of gas

Oddometer:
  19. jsrider

jsrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine too. I just replaced mine with an identical Yuasa unit. After 3 years of flawless operation, my original didn't make it through the winter able to hold a charge any more. I will confess to not being all that conscientious about trickle-charging it in the basement throughout the winter.
  20. GCRad1

GCRad1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bought my new battery:
    [​IMG]

got it from:
    [​IMG]
    Talked to Bob, the owner and very helpfull and got my battery in like two days!!!
    [​IMG]