Replacement Tires in Baja

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by Starstruck, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Starstruck

Starstruck Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Solo on a 2015 BMW R1200GSA. Took two nails in my rear tire in San Ignacio. Was able to make repairs but being solo it makes sense to get new tires while in Baja. Made it to Lorento and plan to head to La Paz tomorrow.

Would appreciate any recommendations on a place to get new tires for a R1200 GSA - preferably in Lorento, La Paz, or (if necessary) Cabo.
  2. Pawlie

Pawlie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not likely the advice you are looking for......but......I would turn around and head for California......Tires are always scarce in Baja........Even in the much more common dirt bike sizes. Big GS tires would be like a needle in a haystack!
    Best of luck.
    Pawlie
  3. Pawlie

Pawlie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Oops.....I thought you were further north.....If already in Loreto.....You will likely need to ride it out on what you have.
  4. Hill Climber

Hill Climber Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you made repairs with a couple of plugs? If so, then you'll have to do something about the temporary repair.
    Take the wheel off at any llantera shop (tire repair). Pop it off the rim and have him do a permanent repair/patch on the two holes.
    If it's a sidewall puncture, then I think you'll need a new tire.
    There are a couple of bike dealerships in la Paz... not likely you'll have any success there but you might do better in Cabo.
    I found this:
    Baja Motosport, S.A. De C.V.
    BMW Motorrad

Highway CSL-Todos Santos
    In front of the Chrysler Agency
    Brisas del Pacifico, Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Sur.

Phone: (624) 163-47 06, 07, 08, 09, 10

Open Monday to Saturday from 9:00 am to 8:00 pm

Give them a call and see if they're still in business......
    Secret Agent Man likes this.
  5. Secret Agent Man

Secret Agent Man Globe Trotter

Oddometer:
    Hill Climber stole my thunder! Other than you, none of know the extent of the damage so my comment could be for not BUT the Mexican llantera guys can do some pretty amazing stuff. I once caught a screw outside of Guaymas and had a very quick rear tire deflation. I hitch hiked with the tire still on the wheel back 40 kms to a tire guy who knew what he was doing. He installed a patch on the inside (melted with electricity) and I rode that tire to Panama and back. My point is, we as Canadians / American's tend to throw away a lot of stuff whereas the Mexican's & Central American's don't have that luxury (read: $) so they are very good at fabrication and repairing things.
    Best of luck with your situation.
    Hill Climber and Cal like this.
  6. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    Odds are really low of finding a new tire. Like said, have a tire shop put a patch on the inside, they are good at it!
    Cal likes this.
  7. Hill Climber

Hill Climber Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just thinking... you got two nails in the rear tire, you should take a really close look at the front tire, meaning wash the tire and examine inch by inch.

My current 990 tires are tubeless type, but I run tubes in them so I can repair trail/road side.
  8. Gustavo

Gustavo Motociclista Errante

Oddometer:
    What SAM said. Go to a tire shop, any tire shop, doesn't have to be a bike shop, ask them to patch your tire. They will install an internal mushroom type patch, it's as good as a new tire after the repair. In many places you'll see signs that say "vulcanizadora" or simply "vulca". Those are the places you are looking for to have the tire repaired.

Good luck,

Gustavo
    Cal and Secret Agent Man like this.
  9. Starstruck

Oddometer:
    Thanks all for the suggestions. I am in La Paz now (the two rope plugs are holding up - the tire hasn't lost any air...yet). The punctures were small and in the main tread of the tire - no sidewall damage. Front tire appears fine, but I will take Hill Climber's suggestion and wash and even more closely inspect it in the morning.

Went to the Honda dealer in La Paz. They didn't have anything in stock and suggested a shop which oddly enough had a single ContiRoadAttack 3 in the right size for the rear tire, but were unwilling to install it. They suggested a no-name motorcycle shop, which was willing to order tires, but they said it would take 5 days to get them to La Paz.

Tomorrow I am going to stop by the other motorcycle shops in La Paz and see if I have any better luck. If not, I will either go ahead have an internal patch installed as suggested by Hill Climber, Secret Agent Man and others and head back to California or buy the ContiRoadAttack and see if I can get someone to install it.

It's odd given the number of GS and GSA's on the road around here that no one seems to have tires or offer service for BMWs.... (FYI - Baja Motosport in Cabo (suggested by Hill Climber) seems to have gone out of business). I'll root around town tomorrow and see what I can find and post the results for future riders in similar circumstances.

I really appreciate everyone's help!
  10. Secret Agent Man

Secret Agent Man Globe Trotter

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a plan!
    At least your tire is holding air, thats great!
    Hope it all works out for you.
    Starstruck likes this.
  11. Starstruck

Oddometer:
    For what it's worth, I am back in the States getting K60s installed this week, but thought I would close off this thread with info for future riders in similar circumstances. The first two rope plugs held up - and on the way back (believe it or not) I got yet another nail through the rear tire (apparently I have a strangely magnetic Michelin Pilot Road 5 on the rear). I plugged the third hole in Catavina. All three plugs are still holding up after some 400+ miles.

There was only one place in La Paz that I could find that had tires on hand to fit the R1200GSA. That was BICICLETAS Piluchos at Blvrd Padre Eusebio Kino, Los Olivos, 23040 La Paz, B.C.S., Mexico. Yes, it is a bicycle repair shop, but off to the side they had the largest collection of motorcycle tires I saw in La Paz. They won't mount motorcycle tires, but they do have a wide and eclectic variety of tires available. Nice people - very helpful. The moto repair shops all told me it would take 5 days to get new tires to La Paz (although this was over the Constitution Day holiday, so that may have added to the time).
    Secret Agent Man and knight like this.
  12. Birdu2

Birdu2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi there Starst, i live in Cabo San Lucas, if there is anything the i can help you with, just send me a personal msg. I brought a tire for my 650GS here, its not easy, but you can get one.
    Strong Bad likes this.
  13. knight

knight Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought a tire from this shop last May and had the tire installed at the Honda dealer in La Paz
    Cal likes this.
  14. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why did you not buy the tire from the one shop and take it to another to have it installed? Or do it yourself?
    GR8ADV likes this.
  15. GR8ADV

GR8ADV Safety Second!

Oddometer:
    Either of those options seem pretty simple.
  16. knight

knight Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The shop I bought the tire from does not do installations
    Cal likes this.
  17. markharf

markharf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Far too late for the OP, but it's common to buy parts (including tires) in one place and have them installed in another. Riding all the way back to the border while wondering whether your plugs will hold is just silly. The place you buy a tire will tell you where to go to have it installed, same as they would for anyone else, including locals.

FWIW, I've been racking my brains for any occasion when I've purchased a tire in Latin America and had it installed in the same shop, and I couldn't think of any. That's 8 or 10 data points for you.

Hope that's helpful.

Mark
    Cal likes this.