Replacing 1490LM with a Basecamp Compatible GPS. Which one?

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Brian Bowers, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Brian Bowers

Brian Bowers Han Yolo

Oddometer:
    Searching forums for a straightforward, simple, un-hijacked, accurate thread has been a waste of about 90 minutes resulting in more confusion. Sorry if this question is redundantly redundant.

My Franken1490 (combination of three 1490s) needs to be replaced. The MANDATORY feature is, like the 1490, complete Basecamp compatibility. I need to upload POIs and routes; AND be able to follow the route EXACTLY as I planned it in Basecamp. I am aware and own a phone app that does this but that is not my interest at this time.

So, am I stuck buying 1490s forever or can I upgrade to something sexier with the same features as the 1490? Any help is appreciated but please don't respond unless you are certain the device meets this requirement. Perhaps we can pay it forward and the next goon like me will find this thread with minimal searching.

Thanks and safe riding.

Brian
  2. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    I use an old Garmin Montana 600 and really like it. I would imagine any Garmin that lets you load and record tracks, routes, and waypoints would be compatible with Basecamp

I am leery of the newer models. From casual reading of the huge threads on the new ones I gather there are a number of teething problems and a few near fatal flaws.
  3. Patch

Patch Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have had great accounts of the new Zumo XT. It sexy screen and features are going to be my next get after my BMW-badged Nav V goes away.

I still use my Montana ... been maybe 8-9 years and zero need to change that one out.