Replacing Heated Grip rubbers...

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by MikeO, Aug 7, 2005.

1. rdcyclist

rdcyclist Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yep, you can. They're called 18 rib grips. The rightside (throttle side) is part number: 32721458396. Costs 8 clam from Chicago BMW and 10 clam from the local dealer.

BTW, you can't easily use these on an R12GS. The R12 grips are molded to the heating elements and don't give up their hold on the tubes without taking some wire with them. This thread has some ideas about how to replace 'em.
  2. markgsnw

markgsnw WTF?

Oddometer:

wow, thanks, that's great info.:clap I've got a ghetto looking left grip and have been looking all over for a decent looking replacement.
  3. DustMeOff

DustMeOff back on the 2 wheel wagon

Oddometer:
    3.2% UT, formerly of bar on every corner-burgh, PA
    does anyone know where the connectors are for the heated grip wires on a 98 r1100gs? i.e. inside the handlebars, etc.
    i picked up some 7/8" dirtbike bars and i want to try out the position before i decide to drill them and make threaded end plugs.
    Mike
  4. Reprobate

Reprobate Sarcasm Loading....

Oddometer:
    If you have some patience... tomorrow [tuesday] I will be replacing my bent handlebars with a secondhand straight one, which also means replacing the heated grips, mirrors, Acerbis handguards...

I can tell you that the connectors to the heated grips are connected under the tank - and you'll have to strip the connectors before you can pull the wire through the handlebar...
  5. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    Nice write-up, MikeO! :thumb

I cannot address BMW heated grips because I've never changed any of those, so I don't know how the heating elements and rubber of the grips are entwined, but...

For those of you with an air compressor, all you have to do is shove the nozzle between the grip and the switch cluster and squeeze the trigger while keeping the nozzle pointed kind of under the grip (between the grip and the handlebar) and the grip will expand and pull away from the handlebar and you can slip it right off the grip. Apart from removing handguards, end weights, or anything else obstructing the end of the handlebar, this operation takes maybe 5 seconds. :deal :D
  6. Reprobate

Reprobate Sarcasm Loading....

Oddometer:
    See this smugmug gallery Replacing handlebar with Heated Grips...

If you move your tank slightly backward [you don't have to unplug the tank] you can see a slender white connector:
    [​IMG]

It pulls apart.
    [​IMG]

Inside the short end are four metal sleeves that you'll have to slip out of the white plastic connector block.
    [​IMG]

Each metal sleeve clicks into this block with a slight hook. Take a thin piece of wire [bent paperclip or something], insert into the hole above the metal sleeve and push down the hook:
    [​IMG]

If you take a close look, you can see a sliver of metal angling up from the metal sleeve:
    [​IMG]

That's the tiny hook that you press down to slide the sleeves out of the plastic block. You'll have to push them back up before you push the sleeves back into the plastic block.

Take some thin tape, put the sleeves behind each other to provide a small profile and tape them together, to make threading the cable through the steer easier.
    [​IMG]

Don't forget that the left grip is fixed to the handlebar with two screws and detaches separatedly from the left handlebar unit, while the right grip is fixed to the handlebar unit.
    See here:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If you replace the steer, you can loosen the grips, unbolt the steer, move it sideways to make some room, slide off the left grip, and then slide off the right grip.
  7. DustMeOff

DustMeOff back on the 2 wheel wagon

Oddometer:
    3.2% UT, formerly of bar on every corner-burgh, PA
    thanks, that's exactly what i was looking for. i must have been taking my handlebars apart at the same time, i appreciate the pictures for securing the wire bundles, the guy who had my bike before me did some messing with the wires in there.
    Mike

8. ninermatt

ninermatt MORE COWBELL!

Oddometer:
    I just replaced mine this past weekend with ProGrip gel superbike grips (mmmm. soft). Cut 'em off with a razor blade coated the inside of the new grips with rubbing acohol sliped 'em on fired up the heat for the grips and they are locked in place
  9. Bob

Bob Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer:
    So do I need 2 of these, or is this just for the right side? If so what is the part number for the left side?I need to replace them on my 02 GS w/heat.

Also any idea if they would also work on an f650 GS. Same style grips w/heat?
    Thanks
  10. Mr Head

Mr Head Adventure Hippie Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have been contemplating this very task, at 67,000.

I figure to have time to mess with this while I'm away from home with not much to entertain myself with.
  11. DriveShaft

DriveShaft Long timer

Oddometer:
    You guys effin' rock, do you hear me? R O C K !
  12. jlsworks

jlsworks Acid Stained

Oddometer:
    Great timing MikeO! Thanks!

Did you look at any other style of grip before you decided on these pairs? I like the feel of the BMW grip, but was wondering if anyone has tried foam grips or any other brand, or does the heating elements limit grip choices for the GS?

James

P.S. What are those mirrors your running on your GS MikeO?
  13. GillaFunk

GillaFunk I use profanities

Oddometer:
    So...now that I want to replace my grips on the GSA I find out that Motorworks wont ship to the US. Anyone else have sugguestions on Heated Rubber grip replacement? I REALLY dont want to spent $170 on OEM grips
  14. GillaFunk

Oddometer:
    eh....Im guessing different. I understand 1150GS heated rubbers are about $35 a piece. I THINK. Im still researching this.
  15. GS Addict

GS Addict Pepperfool Supporter

Oddometer:
    Air compressor works great - thats how I did mine - piece of cake.
    I used 2 x BMW part # 32721458396 (right grooved handle for K-1) exact match to the originals.
  16. sf_motogrrl

sf_motogrrl Where am I?

Oddometer:
    Gillafunk -
    Where did you find this price for this part?
    I need to replace the right side only on my ol' 01 GS...

I would love the part that = $35....
    I was under the impression it was closer to $200 and well wasn't going to do that repair before I sold it at that price.

Paige
  17. AnyWayRound

AnyWayRound live to ride,ride to live

Oddometer:
    yeah, i spent the $200 dollars for the replacments from the dealer and installed them myself. lots of wires to run through the handlebars and removal of tank is needed. Next time I'll.......save some time and money
  18. markgsnw

markgsnw WTF?

Oddometer:
    gosh, you can replace the rubber part of the grip with another BMW grip for about $10. It's a standard part, both side are the same. Took me about 5 minutes to replace mine.
  19. Trailace

Trailace Dumb Ass

Oddometer:
    I did the same!
  20. GillaFunk

Oddometer:
    Call Michaels. We just did mine. He knows the part #'s. Its like $20 for a set of rubbers. I had him do it, but...its REAAAAAL easy. Just like the pics from the first page, but ours are all one piece of grip. Just dont cut the heat element under them. Its easy to avoid. PM me if needed.