Replacing Heated Grip rubbers...

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by MikeO, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Guzz

Guzz Gutless wonder

Oddometer:
    Good timing for bringing back an old thread.

Just ordered 2 Grips (part #32721458396) from Chicago BMW.

My grips are shot, and I've been putting it off getting new ones because I didn't feel like searching for the part number.
  2. Ferdinandus

Ferdinandus Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very nice, thanks:clap
  3. mitch

mitch Long timer

Oddometer:
    Guzz, if you dont mind what are you paying for the grips ? I have just been told by my local BMW shop that they want a $A 160.00 for a set of grips:yikes , just grips mind you no heater and the got upset when I told him what he could do with them.
    Has anybody else having trouble with the new style grips ? I only have 24700 klms on my bike in 18 mths and they are shot allready what a load of :topes
  4. gus

gus Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got mine from Chicago BMW for about $14 a pair. When I asked the guys at Charlotte BMW, they wanted $180. I had to chuckle because I could not make them believe there were no wires in the rubber grips.
  5. Siva

Siva Canberra ACT OZ GSer

Oddometer:
    bloody fantastic mate.!!!!!:clap
  6. PartTimeTravel

PartTimeTravel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    rdcyclist,

thanks for the info. Can you confirm that TWO RHS Standard rubber grips will work over my R1100GS heated grip tubes?

What is the difference anyway from LHS to RHS??

thanks.

Nic.
  7. Tail Gunner

Tail Gunner Life is Good !!! Enjoy the Ride

Oddometer:
    This worked great. I did both grips in an hour. I did a couple of things different. First I cut the thick rubber with a pair of cutters , then I used my finger to pull the grip away from the heater element and used a razor to cut the grip ( trying not to cut my finger), so that the ravor never came close to the heater element. So instead of rolling the grip I split the grip using my finger. I should have taken pictures. I used Progrip 714 (blue to match my blue 1150GS) Several people said that you had to buy 2 pairs and use the throttle grip only. Well I forgot this and only bought one set. I desided I would try to get the grips on and if it did not work I would order another set. So what I did was to heat up the grip and see if I could get it to fit. So I put the grip in a pot and boiler some water. I pulled the grip out of the hot water and sprayed a little hair spray and it slid on. So I did the same if the throttle side.

Andrew
  8. kdude

kdude Happy to be here !

Oddometer:
    has anyone changed the grips on the 1200 gs ? Is it the same procedure ?
  9. knary

knary sunshine and puppies

Oddometer:
    I replaced the grips on my 1150GS a few weeks ago. It took a whopping 10 minutes. Thanks for the part numbers, etc. :thumb
  10. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    With the stock grips it is about the same. You can, if you like, replace them with the 1100/1150 grips too.

Jim :brow
  11. GS Addict

GS Addict Pepperfool Supporter

Oddometer:
    Whoa....isn't that kinda like incest? :eek1 :huh :lol3
  12. Peka

Peka Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does that mean I could put 1200 grips on my 1100?
  13. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just the rubber? I suppose, but why would you want to? The biggest complaint by most is the R1200 grips are too small, and hard.

Jim :brow
  14. Motowalt

Motowalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Most stock grips are too small diameter for my XL hands, causing cramps.

I've installed Kimpex heaters on all my bikes for about $30.
    Be sure to use rubber electrician's tape (the thick kind) on the left bar under the heater foil to insulate it.

Then install Galindo Superbike grips ($9/pair) over the heater foils. They have a slightly larger diameter and are very comfortable.

I've been able to use the compressed air technique to carefully remove the grips without damage to the fragile heaters.

I always use grip glue and safety wire, but that is just me. Personally, I wouldn't trust my life to water-soluable hair spray to hold my grips on...had a grip come loose because of that many years ago...luckily my guardian angel was flying with me at the time...hence the extra safety measures ever since.
  15. BiG DoM

BiG DoM African Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Gtiptek grip cover (grip Puppies) are the answer if one just want thicker softer grips - great product that really lasts and 5 min install same as for complete new covers.
  16. AntonLargiader

AntonLargiader Long timer

Oddometer:
    MikeO, rdcyclist, and the rest, you guys rock. I just bought a bag of the 396 grips and some White Rain "Maximum Hold." It couldn't have been easier and my customer will like the $20 cost much better than the $220 or so for two new heated grips. I'll keep a few pairs of these on hand all the time now.
  17. careycsg

careycsg Mid Life Crisis

Oddometer:
    Bought a set last week from Chicago BMW and 15 months later, they are charging $8.00 each for the right hand grip. Followed directions as indicated here and had new grips 30 minutes later. These are the 18 rib grip with larger diameter and better feel on the 1150GS Adventure.
  18. knary

knary sunshine and puppies

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  19. MOTÖRHEAD 1

MOTÖRHEAD 1 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cheers MikeO; grips changed in 10 minutes. Quality tip :super

P.S....Anybody want to buy a couple of left handed grips ?:evil
  20. ownst1100

ownst1100 BLUES TRAVELER 04'GSA

Oddometer:
    Ninermatt,

This is what i've been watching for. I love the Pro-Gel grips. Have them on all my bikes. Did you have to buy 2 sets and use both throttle side grips to make this work?

Also: WD-40 not only works good at removal but works better than just about anything for install. It's not a lubricant.