Replacing Heated Grip rubbers...

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by MikeO, Aug 7, 2005.

1. gs-ell

gs-ell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    cheers mate
  2. mauricedonini

mauricedonini n00b

Oddometer:
    The procedure worked for me.

Thanks.

Maurice :D
  3. Smithhammer

Smithhammer Oompa Loompa Slayer

Oddometer:
    The time has come, and I'd really like to go with something different than the standard BMW grips on my 1150GS. Any reason I couldn't/shouldn't use these Renthals on an 1150 w/heaters?

[​IMG]
  4. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    As long as they are the proper diameter, no problem.

Jim :brow
  5. Smithhammer

Oddometer:
    Cool. Btw, for people balking at the price of BMW grips, these are <$13 @ Sierra BMW.
    fcocca likes this.
  6. Smithhammer

Oddometer:
    Another handy tip - if you wait until your grips look like this before you replace them....

[​IMG]

they are way easier to peel off. Haha....

[​IMG]

New Kevlar Renthals, installed:

[​IMG]

Total time, including enjoyment of carbonated beverage = < 10 minutes.

:freaky
  7. AndyCap

AndyCap Mineral Oil Anyone?

Oddometer:
    Excellent thread, and huge thanks to MikeO. I have to do this sometime soon.
    fcocca likes this.
  8. Peka

Peka Long timer

Oddometer:
    Will the 1100/1150 BMW grips fit an F650GS? The ones on my wife's 650 look the same as my 1100 and are due for replacement. Will I need 2 throttle side grips for her 650 which also has heated grips?
  9. esteener

esteener Eat, Drink, Be Merry

Oddometer:
    what diameter grips are these? asking because I want to buy aftermarket and have not ripped my grips off the handlebars yet.
  10. objectuser

objectuser Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Since no one else replied, you're left with a reply from someone on the lower end of the knowledge spectrum. But they're 7/8" grips. I would guess there's an equivalent metric size, but if so I don't know what it is. I think pretty much everything that's not a cruiser (1") uses 7/8" fitment.

I would like to do this grip replacement myself. I've done it a bunch on other bikes, but never one with heated grips. I'd really like to go with the ProGrip 714 as someone did in this thread ... love those grips.

I guess eventually I'll work up the nerve to try it out. :1drink
  11. 99p38a

99p38a Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    7/8" but you would need 2 sets because you need the throttle side from each to get it over the heating elements. That's how I did it when I went to Scott's grips from mx. The mx grips were real soft and maybe I could have got the non throttle grip on the non throttle side, but I didn't bother to try.
  12. lkchris

lkchris Albuquerque

Oddometer:
    Regarding the adhesive, I found information in an early factory Oilhead manual.

When installing nonheated grips, BMW specifies ...

I believe "surface activator" is Loctite 7649.​

A quick check of the datasheet for this product reveals removal tips ...​

I'd perhaps assume (!) same adhesive is used to secure grip to heating assembly.​
  13. e56789

e56789 n00b

Oddometer:
  14. objectuser

objectuser Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I installed some Pro Grip 732 Superbike grips (same as a previous poster) this morning. I used two throttle-side grips. If Pro Grip made the 714s in orange I would have gone for them instead. I like those grips.

[​IMG]

Similar to the OP, my left side grip, while difficult, was pretty manageable.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The right side, however, was tough. There is groove that the grip fits into and they must have filled that thing with glue. After trying a few things starting at the inner flange, I went to the outside of the grip and (very) carefully cut a slot in the flange there. Then I was able to get a grip on the rubber with some channel locks and began pulling it back and cutting a little bit at a time.

[​IMG]

Once I got that all the way to the inner flange, I pulled/tore it free. Then I was able to do a bit of unwrapping of the grip.

[​IMG]

After I got the grip off, I still had some rubber in those grooves. I left it.

[​IMG]

I used hairspray on the insides to get them to slide on and then provide some stickiness so they'd stay there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I would imagine that my next grip install will be much easier, since these are just on with hairspray and not that crazy glue (or Loctite or whatever).
  15. JACIII

JACIII Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    bump for a great springtime thread. Most rewarding 10min I have spent working on the GS.
  16. maxfnz

maxfnz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Metric sizings (from the ProGrips I put onto standard OEM BMW grips) - you need 2x pairs to get the 24mm ID throttle sides, the clutch sides are 22mm. Any style seemed to be OK, the length of the grips seems standard.

HTH
  17. JBrad

JBrad n00b

Oddometer:
    I just replaced my grips on my 08 1200GS. Thanks objectuser for the tutorial. I had a hard time with the right grip as well. It took two days for the hairspray to dry all the way...thanks to the humidity of SC and cheap hairspray.
    I used the old 1100GS stock grips (part# 32721458396) which fit perfectly. The larger grips are more comfortable but they don't get as hot as the originals due to the thicker rubber.
    Thanks again for all the previous posts from everyone
  18. LifeScribe

LifeScribe I do my own stunts

Oddometer:
    This is great, thanks Mike!
  19. ontrip

ontrip Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great thread, just working up the courage to cut the old grips off without damaging the elements.

Purchased 2 pairs as i am planing to use throttle side grips on both sides to fit over the elements.
  20. Pleuelschraube

Pleuelschraube Loose screw

Oddometer:
    The above is my preferred part for this. I like the original style rubber grips, and have used BMW part# 32721458396 (right grooved handle) on both sides of factory equipped heated grip bikes.
    (F650GS and R11xxGS)
    Fits perfectly at a total cost of approx. $25 in my neck of the woods.