Replacing Heated Grip rubbers...

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by MikeO, Aug 7, 2005.

1. sykospain

sykospain Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I swear by the US-made Grip Puppies. They last and don't get marmelised by intense sunshine - like wot we 'ave 'ere....
    They're great for anybody who has piano-player's long fingers that find standard grips too thin.
  2. ontrip

ontrip Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Finally worked up the nerve to change mine on my F800r.

Removed them using pliers and a sharp blade.
    Used hair spray to slip the new grips on. Shame to have to throw out the left grips from the 2 sets of grips..

Left side was easy without any drama.
    The throttle side was more challenging as they must have used more adhesive as it is the throttle side.

IMG_20170520_101633.jpg IMG_20170520_112544.jpg IMG_20170520_101633.jpg
  3. BandwagonJumper

BandwagonJumper Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Guys..............I did this last week on a R1200RT-P.................ive screwed the pooch.
    I had the correct grips 2X Throttle grips
    I damaged both the grips as the R1200RT essentially looks completely different to the R1100 and R1150 elements Ive seen when exposed.
    There is a Plastic ring on the outside and its larger diameter hampers the fitment of the new Grips. I broke it away to enable the new grips to go on.............Ive now lost Heated Handgrips on Both sides.
    Im not a total clown( I did make a "sweet" spice rack once) but I just wanna warn people that its more complicated with a Hexhead.
  4. sykospain

sykospain Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    In your 2nd foto, Ontrip, showing the remnants of rubber bonded to the heating element at the bar-end, wouldn't the "heat to 250 degrees" tip in the workshop manual be the best way to remove all that remaining rubbish ? If the Spandau factory uses that particular Loctite as a rubber grips glue, it will melt at that temperature. Watching the assembly guys on a factory tour in Berlin a few years ago was clear proof of how much those guys love Loctite. They seem to dip most everything in a giant tub at the side of the conveyor as they assemble the bikes.
    ontrip and fcocca like this.
  5. ontrip

ontrip Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Skyospain, I should have done that but unfortunately if you look closely at the photo, I actually damaged the element and had to bring out the soldering gun to splice a piece in. Ended up using sandpaper to remove the rubber. Junk.
  6. Rogue_Ryder

Rogue_Ryder

Oddometer:
    Just put the Ariete grips on my R1200GS. They are $35 on eBay and installation was a snap. I don't know why BMW went backwards on their grip design. The R1150 style is better ergonomically and looks better too.
    nervous likes this.
  7. ontrip

ontrip Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After changing my grips and repairing the element on the throttle side, it has stopped working suddenly. Any ideas on using a different type of solder or something else to splice the element?

Replacement grip is $200 plus I would have to rip the factory grip off and replace it with the aftermarket progip to match the left.
  8. GS Addict

GS Addict Pepperfool Supporter

Oddometer:
    Conventional lead/tin solder won't work as the element is made of Nichrome wire.
    Silver solder or brazing is required. It takes a jewellers torch and a skilled hand to repair.
    Much care is needed to shield the surrounding area from heat damage.
    Sometimes (if space allows) a crimp ferrule can be used but there needs to be slack to overlap the broken ends. You can also use 2 ferrules and patch in a short length of tinned copper wire.
    sweatmark and ontrip like this.
  9. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    I remember fixing such grips a long time ago.Unwound the wire and rewound with one less turn.Twisted the ends together,snipped the excess...taped over and reinstalled the rubber grip.
    ontrip likes this.
  10. Learres

Learres Adventurer

Oddometer:
  11. 396427454

396427454 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The BMW 32721458396 grip is now 28 clams - still better than 200 but.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  12. Firebladeboy

Firebladeboy n00b

Oddometer:
    Many Thanks for this! Used the same technique on my Multistrada 1200 and it worked like a charm!