1. eNewsletter Sign Up

replacing injectors???

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Charlie Brown, Oct 23, 2002.

1. Charlie Brown

Charlie Brown Sweeter than YooHoo

Oddometer:
    well the jeep is aobut 12 years old now... the other day i noticed some lag in power after depressing the accelorator... i figure it is either the transmission or clogged injectors, and advice and if it is the injectors, how hard are they to replace??? thanks for any info

oh i tried to join a jeep forum but they wouldnt allow me to because i have a hotmail acount...WTF?

charlie
  2. jdiaz

jdiaz .

Oddometer:
    You don't need to replace them.....just have them cleaned. Call a local diesel fuel injection shop, and ask them. I think I paid $25 per injector for ultrasonic cleaning.

Jon
  3. Rubber Cow

Rubber Cow GS Dork

Oddometer:
    Hey Charlie,
    I take it you have a 4 liter injected six cylinder Jeep. If not, sorry. The injectors are not that hard to remove but you will need to take care removing the fuel distributtion bar that takes fuel to the injectors. Your dealership sells an O-ring kit(cheap) for this bar and you'll need it as you will need to replace the O-rings. You'll also need some Torx-head drivers to remove some of the fasteners. If you had a GS you'd find Torx wrenches in the tool kit...jab jab jab! Take care not to knick the new O-rings when you're installing them and make certain that the area is as clean as possible.
    On the six cylinder engine the rear-most injector can be kind tough to get at but not impossible. The Haynes manual covers injector removal pretty well.
    As Jon said, you can usually have them cleaned but it depends on the condition of the tip. I have seen some that are pretty shot due to neglect.
    FYI, There is also a good Jeep wrecking yard in Rancho Cordova, California that will sell you used ones. I'll try to do a seach for their contact info and get back to you.
    Good luck and cheers.
    Jorge
  4. fish

fish Banned

Oddometer:
    why don't you ride down there and show him how?
  5. Charlie Brown

Oddometer:
    i happen to have an ultrasonic cleaner at my disposal, i use it to clean my surgical instruments, but what the hell my engine is important too...

charlie
  6. Charlie Brown

Oddometer:
    alas i hav ethe 2.5L 4 cyl... yeah i wish i knew then what i know now, id a bought that 71 vette conterible instead...

charlie
  7. sven

sven Hard Rider

Oddometer:
  8. Rubber Cow

Rubber Cow GS Dork

Oddometer:
    Yeah, but then you'd be stuck with an uncomfortable piece of shit that looks like the car it isn't and feels like your sitting in a soup bowl.
    Besides, when you do get a bike you'll be greatful for the cargo capacity of the Jeep. Try fitting a GS transmission or final drive in a Corvette... as in, to take it to the local BMW dealer for obligatory repair....
    My 4.0Liter Jeep is a very imprecise handling noodle-beast. It is such a different type of vehicle from the GS that it scares me into driving it at the speed limit...me driving at the speed limit...go figure!
    Cheers,
    Jorge
  9. jdiaz

jdiaz .

Oddometer:
    Too busy. I have to spend every waking hour at home training on MotoGP for PlayStation2 before my wife goes on maternity leave and catches back up with me.

Jon
  10. zouch

zouch part-time wanderer

Oddometer:
    hey Chuck!

(it may be foolish of me, but i'm assuming you already checked the obvious; tire pressures and auto-tranny fluid level?)

for a good general source of info, try the
    Off Road List

if you tell me what year/model/engine/tranny J**p you have, we might be able to get more specific.

sluggish response with an automatic tranny can also be due to a failing Throttle Position Sensor or out-of-adjustment Kick-Down cable. (and if you don't already have one, you *really* should get a Factory Service Manual for it; they're worth their weight in gold.)

for about the same money as what someone quoted here for cleaning them, i got a matched set of rebuilt injectors from the guys at
    LinderTech
    try giving them a call to see what they can recommend for your rig.
    one plus is that if you get the injectors from LinderTech, they'll come with new gaskets already installed and you don't need to mess with those at all.
    there are also some Mustang injectors that are rumored to fit at about the same price, but i haven't messed with that.

as far as changing them goes, one tip that i picked up was to use a Dental Pick to lift the retaining spring clips off of the connectors on ONE SIDE ONLY while you remove the connector and leaving the clips in place on the connector; they're a b*tch to get back on if you take them off.

this little upgrade made a bit of a difference in throttle control and idle smoothness on my 4.0L XJ; the surprise was that the exhaust note while cruising at speed smoothed out and became quieter! (this was quite noticeable, since my XJ is outfitted with Borla exhaust from front to back.) i figure that since the injectors were matched more evenly it was causing more uniform power pulses.

WRT Jorges "imprecise handling noodle-beast"; i can't imagine! i can assure you that my OME outfitted XJ has spent many tens of thousands of miles @ close to triple-digits on its way to and from where i work and play. of course, i've made an effort to make sure that the suspension and tires have always been *at least* 'Good'...
    if this statement was made in reference to a shorty Flat-Fender/MB/CJ/YJ/TJ, then all bets are off. that's what you get with a short wheelbase! :):

cheers!
    e