1. eNewsletter Sign Up

replacing lowering kit with stock

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by LarryGS, Jul 19, 2007.

1. LarryGS

LarryGS Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi, I bought a DR350 for my wife about a month ago. After her lesson, which was great, she decided that she'd like something a bit smaller, therefore the DR will be mine.:cry I'd like to return the bike to its stock height and have the parts, but have no idea what the job entails. It looks simple enough, but I fear there's some missing steps that I'll run into. Is it as simple as it looks? Remove both sides of the kit and boost the bike up a bit and replace with stock?
    Thanks, any input or leads to directions would be appreciated.
  2. fixer

fixer KLR-riding cheap bastard

Oddometer:
    make sure you support the bike, AND the rear wheel when you unbolt everything, or it'll bite ya!
  3. rob1313

rob1313 Still learning

Oddometer:
    What he said. I just did it on a 650 Strom 2 days ago. Hang the rear end of the bike from the rafters or however you can get it up there, then put something, 2x4 or whatever is handy under the rear wheel so its supported. Undo the nuts, drive out the bolts and replace. You will have to monkey with your bike supports at this point because by installing the links you are changing the position of the suspension. It helps to have another person around to get it lined up.
    Another question, when it was lowered was just the rear lowered or did they drop the fork tubes in the front too? Take a look and see, if the tubes are sticking up beyond the top of the clamps you need to bring that up to stock too. Hang the front of the bike and loosen the bolts, not too much. Get the tubes back down to where they are supposed to be ( usually almost flush ) and then tighten them back up. Most people dont mess with the front tubes but I've seen it done.
    Good luck
    Rob
  4. LarryGS

LarryGS Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    thanks for the tips. I'll get a buddy to help and secure/lift the bike from the rafters.
    At last look it did not appear that the front end was altered. The bike should be a lot more comfortable for me, 6'0", 185 lbs, now. It fit my wife pretty well with the lowering kit - she's 5'4", 120 lbs.
  5. VStromTom

VStromTom Long timer

Oddometer:
    I did my Wee and my KLR by myself. Put the bikes on their centerstands and used a small scissor jack to raise/lower the swingarm to remove the old links and position the new links. I did strap the centerstand to the front wheel so the bike could not roll off the stand. Tightening the bolts on the links took some stretching on my part but was really not too tough. Once you get a look at the links and realize that lowering links are longer than stock links, and that links to raise the bike are shorter than the stock links it should make sense to you. Good luck.