Replacing the rear 'wheel flange' on the R1200GS

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by inyang, Sep 2, 2009.

1. inyang

inyang 5secs away

Oddometer:
    Was washing my bike when I noticed a crack on one of the ribs that the rear brake disc is bolted to. Hmmm, what could have caused that?

6 months later and cracks on two more of the stuff, I never got round to ordering a replacement. Time to change rear brake pads in July and its more ugly than I thought, ok, I'll park up the bike while waiting for a replacement but I had to do one last 400km (to/fro) business trip next day and it was a GS type trip.

120km into the trip, I slowed down for a police checkpoint and wham I hit a log on the road I did not see so pulled over. It was not really a log but the rear disc coming out from from its mounting. Not good

Pulled over.

Attached Files:

2. inyang

inyang 5secs away

Oddometer:
    Cobbled up this and proceeded on trip.

ABS thrown off and braking iffy to say the least.

Still did 1500km more though.

Attached Files:

3. inyang

inyang 5secs away

Oddometer:
    Parts arrived late August

So time to 'fix it'

How do I get off the wheel flange?

BMW Maintenance CD, no info (well I did not look at odd places)
    Online, advrider? More discussions on FD failures until I came across Mac's post.
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=273522&highlight=1200+final+drive+repair

The correct topic I should have checked on the CD was 'Replace Wheel Set'. Very intuitive

Thanks Mac.

So, got a welder to do his thing with a 'blow torch' and pulled off the old unit

Heated up and pushed in the new unit.

Wheel refused to sit properly, hmmm, put wheel on and used bolts to pulled it into position.

Doing a 600km test tomorrow to see how well it will hold up.

Changed out my FD oil, leaking seal and seal cover at same time.

No FD was harmed during the filming of this documentary.

The GS has 100,000km + on the clock now and served its owner well through mud, water and other terrain.

Attached Files:

4. LTCOliverNorth

LTCOliverNorth Peeping Tom

Oddometer:
    Crazy that the brake rotor mounting points broke off like that!
  5. JetSpeed

JetSpeed Naviator

Oddometer:
    Oh hell that's not even worth getting the toolbox out over you damn sissy.
  6. on2wheels52

on2wheels52 Long timer

Oddometer:
    krikey, I haven't had my '05 long enough to have the rear wheel off yet. What induced a failure of that nature?
    Jim
  7. Disco Dean

Disco Dean Long timer

Oddometer:
    Depending on the year - it was a known problem with a very few bikes. There are posts here that I cannot find.

But they are worth a check to see - I think it was even fixed under warranty.

But known...
  8. Redron

Redron Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi
    I have just replace flange for the sme reason. I had the wheel off for a clean up and at same time replacing rear brake disc. I noticed crackes on the lugs supporting the disc. I heated up the flange with a heat gun put a plug in the center of the axle and used a puller to pull of the flange.
    Ensure splines on shaft clean and in good condition. Keep shaft at ambient temeperature (less than 30 degrees C).
    Heat flange ( kitchen oven 100 deg C) . I had turned down a plug to fit in outside end of axle, Fit new flange, then old one against it followed by a threaded plate. Threaded bar goes through plug , flange and threaded plate. Nut on the threaded bar. Tighten up nut ,pulls the new flange on without having to hammer the flange on.
  9. inyang

inyang 5secs away

Oddometer:
    Don't know, but suspect riding through water when the rear rotor is hot may set up cracks in the metal. This cracks then propagate further when same heat quench cycle is repeated.

Or could be caused by big hits on the rear wheel over ruts and bumps?

GS doing ok so far, did the 600km trip post install no problems, doing another 600km this coming weekend. Notice the clunky sound from the rear more now but may be my imagination. On takeoff and throttling down.
  10. Slaniac

Slaniac Martini elbow

Oddometer:
    What was the price of the new part? Mine has one crack in it, and I'm sure will need replacement before I do any long distance. Seems to me this a part that should not develope this sort of problem. I'[ve pranged the front wheel, but not the rear. Thanks,
  11. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard Supporter

Oddometer:
  12. Slaniac

Slaniac Martini elbow

Oddometer:

Thanks for the info. I have this issue as well. The common thought running through the posts is that BMW has not even listed this as a potential problem so mechs. and riders can be aware of it. I saw it because I was doing a FD fluid change and had the unit in hand so to speak. It worries me that the company has such low regard for its supporters. Lack of support for the motorcycle issues like fuel lines, cable fraying, warped rotors, FD failures, the infamous surging, etc. (and yes, some of these have been addressed, but only after much bitching) have caused me to look elswhere for my next motorcycle purchase. I doubt that when my ship comes in (2 years, 9 months) that I'll look into a BMW auto either.
    I'll admit that I've written this in the hopes that some big deal at the company reviews this site from time to time to see whats up. If they do, you'd never know it. I'll write my concers directly to the company after which I'm sure they'll send me a new flange...FOR FREE!
    I know that things break. I personally fucked up my front rotors, but hell, for only 500 USD I was able to get new ones. It's the safety issue involved here that worries me about the companies lack of 'give a shitness'.
  13. Slaniac

Slaniac Martini elbow

Oddometer:

If the cooling effect of water causes the problem then BMW has used the wrong material in the manuf. of this flange, and should make it right...I'll just hold my breath on that deal.
  14. Slaniac

Slaniac Martini elbow

Oddometer:
    I phoned my local dealer, A&S BMW in Sacramento/Roseville. After a few hand off's I was advised that they would look at the flange and then contact BMW to see what if anything can be done to make it right short of my buying a new flange for 250 USD. I think I'll photograph the part in situ and take the copies to them...maybe avoid a service charge that way. Or, do youall feel they'll need the bike there?
  15. huggybear

huggybear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    On My 05 GS the final drive was replaced at just under 14K,in the bulletin the dealor had it said that two final drive failures were possible one was bearings and the other was worn splines on the part that you bolt the wheel too,mine was worn splines that caused side to side play, It should be plain as day that if the tire,wheel and brake rotor are wiggleing back and forth it would put a serious strain on the mounting holes for the rotor
    Check your flange for movement and have the dealor check the possible FD problems in their bulletin
    I think I have seen that bulletin posted on this site
    Good Luck
  16. michnus

michnus Lucky bastard Supporter

Oddometer:
    That was also another problem with the 04 and 05 flanges, people thought it was the FD going tits up but it was the flange splines that was wearing out to fast, this flange crack is just another part of the same part number problem.

BMW in SA told me to sod off, won't replace.
  17. inyang

inyang 5secs away

Oddometer:
    I think 257.50 US Dollars.

May have to heat the flange again to push in further, my rear wheel does not go in smoothly. Did a tyre change and it was difficult to fit back the wheel.
  18. TagBagger

TagBagger Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They seem to have changed their tune with today's recall (erm "Technical Campaign") to replace the rear wheel flange on all R's and K's 2003-2011
  19. HighWay319

HighWay319 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is about one year too late for my 2005. Got lucky on the fuel pump flange recall, mine started leaking 2 days after the recall started.
  20. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    You may be eligible for a refund if you can prove you paid for the repair.