Replacing valve stem seals: Anyone ever do it?

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by wiseblood, Jan 30, 2015.

1. keener

keener Speed changes you.

Oddometer:
    Great info, thx for documenting it.
  2. wiseblood

wiseblood OK, boomer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Small steps forward....

Final valve adjustment, done:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Engine all buttoned up! Surprisingly satisfying!

[​IMG]

Last item for tonight: Roll the bike/frame back up front in the garage, in preparation to re-install the motor. :clap

[​IMG]

FYI on Valve Shims: As has been noted in OC many times over the years, some Hardley Davidson (:D) bikes use the same size valve shims (10mm) as the KTM LC8. (V-Rod, I think.) Two advantages of getting shims from your local H-D dealer:
    1. They have "intermediate" sizes. KTM only sells shims spaced every 0.05mm. H-D sells sizes every 0.025 mm, and they have a greater range of sizes available.
    2. To my SHOCK, my local H-D dealer actually has all these shims in stock! Local KTM dealer? :photog "That'll take two weeks."
    On the HOW, there is this very excellent Excel valve shim calculator, WITH H-D part numbers:

:bow
    DirtyADV likes this.
  3. Rharr

Rharr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just buy a shim kit from hotcam for 80 bucks and throw it in my tool box. then i don't have to run across the city for shims.
  4. wiseblood

Oddometer:
    A friend let me raid his hotcam shim kit, but he was out of one particular size I needed, and he didn't have any intermediate sizes (only sized every 0.05 mm).

I think I spent $7 on shims. :D

Jesse
  5. DirtyADV

DirtyADV Long timer

Oddometer:
    Used to order Harley shims before but they cost 3 times what OEM KTM cost, and they are not even chromed =(

But when they change minimum order to 5 of each I took the hit of buying 2 shim kits, Pro-X I think was the brand, both half sizes and quarter sizes so should be covered. Should I run out of any size Ill order more that day.

Lets just hope it fires right up after all that work =)

/Johan
  6. wiseblood

Oddometer:
    So close...

[​IMG]

Just finished installing new swingarm bearings, and now installing new chain and sprockets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I estimate no more than another four hours of work to get it running. Just cleaning up a bunch of little bits as I go.
    unaweep likes this.
  7. unaweep

unaweep Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer:
    This is like waiting for a jury to return its verdict. :lol3

Good luck, brother. :thumb
  8. wiseblood

Oddometer:
    An update shortly, but for now:

:D
  9. Rharr

Rharr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    now ride it like you stole it.
  10. wiseblood

Oddometer:
    :evil

That'll be tomorrow.
  11. Dusty

Dusty Long timer

Oddometer:
    Excellent!...:thumb

Thanks for taking the time to post all this.
  12. wiseblood

Oddometer:
    An update --

I've started the break-in process, more or less using the "Motoman" technique, described on the HOW:

In short, I'm managing engine heat and running the motor hard with loads both on the gas and using (heavy) engine braking.

After the first 45 or so miles, I did the first oil change. (I'm using NON-synthetic 10w40.) Here is what the oil screens looked like:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The morning after my first break-in ride (first <20 miles) there was a big belch of smoke out the tail when I started the bike. This, I assume, was oil which had been sucked up past the rings into the combustion chamber. I got a similar belch later that day (I rode the bike to work and back.)

Yesterday I did the first really "hard" ride -- a 120 mile twisty route with some highway miles. BTW, it's totally possible to vary the rpms on the highway! You can't do this in traffic, but when the road is clear it's pretty simple to run in low gear (2nd or 3rd) and roll UP, and then Roll down -- like the earth is just a giant dyno for your benefit. :lol3

Anyway, this morning when I started up there was no smoke anymore. :D

Not to say it won't come back -- it's only up to 167 miles, but that's where I'm at. Next oil change will be about 500 miles. I'll run NON-synthetic until about 1000 miles.

BTW... It's impossible to not look like a clown/jackass/hooligan/n00b when you're trying to roll up and down the RPM range all the time. :lol3 :deal Also, it's fun to hear/feel the rear wheel skipping and chirping behind you. :augie
  13. wiseblood

Oddometer:
    BTW #2: I had forgotten how freeeekin' fun this bike is! :ricky
    keener likes this.
  14. keener

keener Speed changes you.

Oddometer:
    What's the reason behind running non-synthetic during the engine break in period?
  15. wiseblood

Oddometer:
    Probably nothing but superstition. But "everybody" :rolleyes says that non-synthetic oil facilitates running in the piston rings. But, it can't hurt, I don't think. The oil is JASO MA, and within the oil weight spec. So, maybe it does, maybe it doesn't help.

There is ONE place it does help, for sure! Co$t! Definitely much cheaper to use non-synth than synth, given that I expect to have at least three or four oil changes before 1,000 miles! :deal

On the note of break-in, I dug up a couple pictures from the FIRST oil change I did on this bike after I bought it used. This was at about 3750 miles:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I suspect that this bike, of which I was the THIRD owner at 2,400 miles(!!) was never run-in very hard. The result was that my riding style (and size -- I'm a friggin' giant :lol3) did some late break-in on the bike! It never had any notable amount of metal in the screens or magnets after that first oil change. But, it always consumed oil! :deal
    chainbreaker and keener like this.
  16. unaweep

unaweep Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer:
    :clap

Congratulations on a job well done! :thumb So glad it all came together for you. You've been working on this for a long time!
  17. wiseblood

Oddometer:
    Thanks! :beer
  18. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    Great thread - always love to read these kinds of threads as it gives me hope that one day, I can do something like this.
  19. docgonzo

docgonzo Old Gadfly

Oddometer:
    within 20 miles of the Center of the Universe
    :clap:clap:clap

Amazing job! Have to admit, I never thought you would get the motor back together. How many extra parts did you have left over?:-)

Seriously, a monumental, incredible job for a computer guy!

Now that you have a big duelie again, are you going to rescue the Big Apple game?
    wiseblood likes this.
  20. wiseblood

Oddometer:

Reminds me of a sign in Boston during the Big Dig. Edited slightly for this thread:

"Rome wasn't built in a day. But, if it was, I should have hired their mechanics."

:lol3