[REPORT] Small Trip To Way Kambas, Lampung – Sumatera Island

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by h17, May 22, 2008.

1. h17

h17 Enjoying The Ride

Oddometer:
    <o:p></o:p>Day 1 (Friday, May 16th, 2008 – Saturday, May 17th, 2008 )<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    Finally, after 3 weeks of planning and saving up our money for this ride or you could say an adventurous ride, me and Yufi left for Lampung with Way Kambas as our target destination. Yess!! it's a place where all those wild elephants are being conserved and breed. <o:p> </o:p>

This was my second trip to the southern part of Sumatra Island, I had my first trip to the same place one year earlier riding on my Yamaha Nouvo, and I gave this second trip for the Pulsar to take a piece of the action on the Lampung ground! For Yufi, this trip was his farthest trip on his motorbike. Both of us were riding on the same Bajaj Pulsar 180cc there will be no differences in terms of the engine of both of our bikes.
    23.00 After all the today's routines are through and all the stuff I need for this trip are packed up, we agreed to meet up at my usual hang out place in Mega Kuningan.<o:p></o:p>
    24.00 We departed for Lampung using Jakarta – Tangerang – Balaraja – Serang – Cilegon – Merak route .
    We did not encounter any problem on our Jakarta - Tangerang ride, a technical problem rose just after we left Tangerang where our communication devices refused to function properly. Yufi could only hear my voice while I couldn't hear Yufi's and we had to cope with the situation till Merak. Damn!! Being mute on the way to Merak was definitely sucked. <o:p> </o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    There were uneven surfaces along Balaraja – Serang line, we had to give an extra effort to get through it. Some said that this track was prone to plunder but we didn't get any sign of the say being true and the ride was definitely a smooth ride although we had to steer clear of bunch of holes along the track.

Serang – Cilegon – Merak track was done smoothly, we entered Merak port at exactly 02.40, All I could think of was "It's tea time!" so we made a stop in Restoran Simpang Raya to get a quick rest while sipping on a cup of tea.

[​IMG]
  2. h17

h17 Enjoying The Ride

Oddometer:
    03.30 We finally queued up to get into the ferry after paying Rp.29.000,- each person at Merak Port's gate, the process of getting into the ferry itself was rather easy because less people and vehicle queued up at this hour.
    <o:p>
    </o:p>

<o:p>[​IMG]</o:p>

<o:p>[​IMG] </o:p>

<o:p></o:p>04.00 At this time the ferry set sail across Sunda strait for Lampung. The ferry we were in was a small ferry, but I reckoned it makes the ferry way more comfortable. With an additional fee for Rp.10.000,- each person, we opted to sit in the executive class where we were entertained by Indovision, the TV cable which I didn't watch at all as I dozed off straight to the dream land.
  3. h17

h17 Enjoying The Ride

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

06.40 I woke up and kind of startled finding the deck was all wet "hey what the..?" Yufi told me that the ferry went through a rainstorm for 2 full hours in the middle of sailing. Yufi was kinda worried that things might happened during the rainstorm, "the storm is bound to get by" as in the late Chrisye's song, the Lampung sea was placid after the storm. <o:p>

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. h17

h17 Enjoying The Ride

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

07.14 The ferry was finally dropped anchor in the wharf at Bakauheni Lampung Port, the ferry was about to get close to the wharf but was obstructed by this loading-unloding activity the ferrry had to queue, thus we had to wait for about 1 hour to get off the ferry, Damn!! <o:p>

<o:p>[​IMG]

5. h17

h17 Enjoying The Ride

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

07.30 Got on to our trip at last!!! We did not have to face the technical problem we had ecountered last nite as our communication device had gone back to its usual self, so this time we could communicate freely to each other during the ride. The ride from Bakauheni to Bandar Lampung city was pretty smooth, the track I noticed was in a better condition compared to my previous trip a year ago (the road last year was a mess as it was covered by uneven surfaces), the only obstacle that we found was peanut, we had to take over a long bunch of buses and trucks.

08.42 Getting closer to Bandar Lampung city, we made a stop, at the white sand beach to be exact, to enjoy the beautiful landscape

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. h17

h17 Enjoying The Ride

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. h17

h17 Enjoying The Ride

Oddometer:
    09.10 Finally we arrived at Bandar Lampung city then cruised along to find a hotel, we finally landed at Hotel Hanum which is located in Jalan Raden Intan, one of the main roads in Bandar Lampung. I actually stayed in the same hotel last year and I was quite happy with the hotel, I reckoned it has a more spacious and secure parking space for motorcycle compared to other hotels within the area.

[​IMG]

I stayed in the same hotel, in the very same room and even the guy who carried up my bag this time was the very same roomboy who carried my bag last year..hehehe
    The diff from last year's trip is there's only me and yufi , last year I came here with 5 other guys and I thought the room was kinda huge for the two of us... <o:p> </o:p>

Coincidentally, there was a Honda Racing Championship event on 17-18 May, .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and some of the teams who compete in the race also stayed in the same hotel

One of the Team Bikes who participate on the Race:
    [​IMG]

8. h17

h17 Enjoying The Ride

Oddometer:
    15.00 After done with the check-in, had some breakfast, took a shower and had some beauty sleep, we were up for Lampung city touring, we were stranded in a very quiet beach and to add an excitement to the misery, dark clouds gathered overhead followed by a heavy rain. Great! We were a bit dissapointed with the situation. <o:p>

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. h17

h17 Enjoying The Ride

Oddometer:
    21.00 We continued on our city touring at night just right after dinner, I reckoned Bandar Lampung is a clean, neat and fuss free city. In overall, it isn't a bad place to live in, but from a lifestyle wise is kinda dull, cool hang out places were nowhere in sight...hehehe

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. h17

h17 Enjoying The Ride

Oddometer:
    more capture moments from the Honda Racing Championship in the City of Bandar Lampung:

the Spectators:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Chicks:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Champions:
    [​IMG]
  11. h17

h17 Enjoying The Ride

Oddometer:
    Day 2 ( Sunday May 18th, 2008 ) :clap:clap:clap<o:p></o:p>
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

08.00 Time to go to Way Kambas!!! Right after we had our breakfast, we get on to our target destination Way Kambas using Bandar Lampung – Metro – Pekalongan – Sukadana – Way Kambas National Park route.<o:p></o:p>
    We had to go through Trans-Sumatera line to get to Metro city before finally taking a turn to the east at KM 27. There were small holes surfaced on the road along the track but it didn't bother us at all. <o:p> </o:p>
    09.00 Got out of the Trans-Sumatra line and entering Metro city. as we ride through the smooth and friendly road to Metro city under the sun we were enthralled by the views around us - paddy rice under a beautiful sunny day, sweet ass!!<o:p>

By the way have I mentioned about Bandar Lampung experiencing a fuel crisis. This situation had caused a long line of queue up to 2 KM long in Metro city ( i forget to capture this moment ) and had slowed down our ride to Way Kambas a little, but it was a freeway after that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. h17

h17 Enjoying The Ride

Oddometer:
    Capture Moments From Metro City to Way Kambas:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. h17

h17 Enjoying The Ride

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. h17

h17 Enjoying The Ride

Oddometer:
    11.00 Welcome to Way Kambas National Park!!! We finally arrived at our target destination. <o:p>

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. h17

h17 Enjoying The Ride

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  16. h17

h17 Enjoying The Ride

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. h17

h17 Enjoying The Ride

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  18. h17

h17 Enjoying The Ride

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14.00 Time to bid farewell to the residents of Way Kambas..as we have fed our curiosity to see and touch the elephants then stuffed ourself with a bowl of indomie noodles and of course a bowl of meatballs soup... yes unfortunately that was the only available luxury food around the park ...but hey no fuss about it, as long as we filled in our tummy up with food before
    heading back to Bandar Lampung.. After buying Way Kambas T-shirts as souvenirs, we finally left Way Kambas and headed back to Bandar Lampung through the same route.

[​IMG]

Kids queing for Ice Cream:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. h17

h17 Enjoying The Ride

Oddometer:
    16.10 Back to Bandar Lampung, we got there earlier than we thought we would, I guess because we kinda get the hang of the track also the traffic was empty. Without wasting too much time we went straight for food!!! <o:p>

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. h17

h17 Enjoying The Ride

Oddometer:
    Day 3 ( Monday May 19th, 2008 )

10.00 Time for us to check out from the hotel and head back home, before leaving Bandar Lampung, Yufi wanted to change his Pulsar's engine oil as his Pulsar's odomoter showed that it was time to change, so we stopped over at Bajaj dealer which actually located about 400 meters from our hotel, Yufi didn't get any service charge at all because he brought his own engine oil, Yufi's Pulsar was also had a small service while we there. <o:p>

<o:p></o:p>[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]