Repowering a KTM 640 Adventure

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Z50R, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Z50R

Z50R Not lost yet

Oddometer:
    Glad you’ve enjoyed it. I had been hesitant to start such a big project and similarly hesitant to start a build thread because of the likelyhood of not finishing. I am glad I did though, this is the first winter since I started riding that I wasn’t jonesing to ride every day. My intent was to keep my mind occupied, I succeeded in that.
  2. dbarale

dbarale Squiddly slow

Oddometer:
    This is brilliant.
    Z50R likes this.
  3. Roofchop

Roofchop Hands up mother stickers, this is a f**k up!

Oddometer:
    You can give a big fat bird to all the doubters in the beginning!
    Very well done to you, now enjoy it!

Dave
    Z50R and trc.rhubarb like this.
  4. VEXX

VEXX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Despite not saying a thing, I was watching this thread with excitement. Very well done, good job. Your fabrication skills are top notch.

Enviado do meu SM-A310F através do Tapatalk
    trc.rhubarb, Z50R and Roofchop like this.
  5. JensEskildsen

JensEskildsen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Loving this!
  6. CopyCat

CopyCat I am NOT like the others Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thank you for a very well written and humorous build thread. Your solutions to problems were carefully thought out, very well executed, and (Thank you very much) VERY VERY well documented with methods and sources. Bravo!!!!!!
  7. Z50R

Z50R Not lost yet

Oddometer:

You are welcome and thanks for reading along.

I have another project that has been brewing in my head for about 5 or 10 years. This thread took some time away from this project but also served as motivation to finish. The next project is much larger in scope and will take more than a winter to complete so I’m going to need the motivation boost. I will probably start a new thread when temperatures drop late in the year.
  8. Z50R

Z50R Not lost yet

Oddometer:
    I had been pondering and putting off the airfilter mount since I finished the air box. Obviously I can’t ignore it any longer. The reason for all the thoughts was to avoid drilling new holes in the air box.

The KTM airfilter mount consisted of a bent rod where one end fit in a boss molded in the air box and the other end cought a hook near the air box door. I can’t re-use the same setup because the filter now mounts significantly lower in the air box such that the rod passes nowhere near the center of the filter. If I wanted to use the existing mounts, I’d need to add add a third point of contact to keep the rod from twisting off the filter. I didn’t like this option because it would make filter changes a fiddly exercise. I also don’t like the original mount because the boss for the rod is a path for water to enter the box.

I needed a fastener that fit in the rod’s boss. I wanted to use a threaded insert but they aren’t available in metric around here. I decided to make my own stud starting with a 5/16” corse wood threaded stainless eye bolt.

F6D6F2D4-4EAD-4F21-B0C6-606DA4DDDB87.jpeg

I blunted the point and cut M6 1.0 threads for about 10mm.

D811C88F-9F90-4924-A3AB-32C560C7E27F.jpeg

A bit of hardwear...

17274D7C-05FC-4D94-B225-A46B0CE43048.jpeg

And it both plugs an existing hole and provides a mounting point for further creativity.

46206302-FB46-4A64-A5F2-8A6FF2D4C3C0.jpeg
    nuggets, Te Hopo, invisa-bill and 2 others like this.
  9. Z50R

Z50R Not lost yet

Oddometer:
    Another piece of stainless bent into a channel. The hole on the right mounts over the stud. The hole on the left is for the rod. To keep the rod from wearing on the edge of the channel I am using the rubber bushing below. To keep the rubber from getting mangled, I cut a brass bushing to fit through the channel and secured it by soldering on the hex.

6F00D43E-66D2-4BF0-AF45-1EE69CCCBA61.jpeg

Feed the rubber in from the back and it becomes trapped when the channel is attached to the stud. Now the airfilter rod has a mounting point much lower

24AC7DE4-6E6D-43D8-8C3C-3F0627682946.jpeg

A new hole for the hook and the job is done.

AE2DD0D5-6ADF-4CF3-9672-1C38625DE3B1.jpeg

Normally I’d be able to announce the completion of the project and post a completed photo now but the seat doesn’t fit right so more work is to come...
    Te Hopo and Roofchop like this.
  10. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    Just a thought on those screws around the filter. I can foresee a time, at least if it was mine, where at the worst possible moment I'd snag the filter on them and shred it while cleaning it.
    Maybe some rubber vacuum caps or RTV over them if it's hard to grind the tops off...

I love your ingenuity! Even when you said you were making your own stud... even after seeing the lag eye-bolt... I had no idea how you were going to accomplish that.
  11. Z50R

Z50R Not lost yet

Oddometer:
    I took a dremel to each one and took the sharp point off. I ran my hand over each one to make sure they aren’t sharp. I am hesitant to grind them flush for fear of burning the plastic. I could remove them one by one and shorten them... maybe next winter.
    trc.rhubarb likes this.
  12. Z50R

Z50R Not lost yet

Oddometer:
    3007E313-8929-4D89-A0AD-02FC77C25895.jpeg

Sunlight warms the bike again. She runs well after clearing out the carb.
    MotoPolo, nuggets, Te Hopo and 4 others like this.
  13. Z50R

Z50R Not lost yet

Oddometer:
  14. DR650BOY

DR650BOY DR650 Rider

Oddometer:
    Awesome results! Frankenstein would approve. Maybe call it Katie-Mazuki 440 Adventure :-) I hope she can handle the punishment I know you will give it. Plus I am looking forward to what you come up with for your custom seat. It was nice being an ultra small piece of this project by doing the initial test drive on the DRZ for you to make sure it was donor worthy. Nice talking to you yesterday and I can't wait to get to ride it, if only around the block ;)
  15. MaxBimmer

MaxBimmer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It was fun to watch your build. Very detailed, and very inventive. Nicely done.
    I have a Duke II, and it has that same motor. I’ve always been amazed when people say the 640 LC4 doesn’t vibrate that badly. Glad to see someone agrees with me about that paint shaker of a motor. When the revs get to a certain spot, it shakes so bad my eyeballs actually vibrate in their sockets.
    Can’t wait to see your next project.
  16. Z50R

Z50R Not lost yet

Oddometer:

As I was riding to work today, I noticed that I could keep both hands on the handlebars on the highway. With the LC4 engine, at 80 the bars vibrated quite badly. With one hand off the bars, the other hand would act as a damper and the free end would vibrate like crazy. If I tried to ride with both hands, they’d both be numb in minutes. It took me three days of riding to notice that I wasn’t instinctively riding with one hand anymore.

I got a can of contact cement and two slabs of foam yesterday, seat sculpting is coming soon. The contact cement can has some quite dire warnings on it though so it looks like an outdoor project.
    Pezz_gs and Lambo like this.
  17. Goofaroo

Goofaroo The Piddler Supporter

Oddometer:
    What a beauty! Finally a 640 Adventure that's worth a damn.
    Z50R likes this.
  18. Lambo

Lambo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice work and good craftsmanship, good on ya.
    Z50R likes this.
  19. Z50R

Z50R Not lost yet

Oddometer:
    Oh I wouldn’t go that far! There are enough uncorrected mistakes on this bike that I wouldn’t want to call it craftsman like work. It is my first moto build and it had a hard deadline so the learning curve was steep and relentless. In a few more weeks I’ll post all the lessons I learned and what I’d do differently given the time.
    jays100 likes this.
  20. loganlexow

loganlexow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is an older thread that I just happened to find while googling something that I can't even remember anymore lol. How has the 440 Adventure handled?? Did you ever get the seat done?