Repowering a KTM 640 Adventure

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Z50R, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Z50R

Z50R Not lost yet

Oddometer:
    I have been looking for some 3/16" rod for tie down points and for the air filter holder but the usual suspects only carry 1/8" and 1/4". While looking over my options and debating making design compromises, I realized I could get several options in much shorter lengths in the hardwear aisle then walked away without buying anything because I already have nails.

IMG_1043.JPG

A bunch of bends and the removal of both ends gives me what I need.

IMG_1045.JPG

Tiedown loops were added to the rack to keep the bag straps from wandering. Loops were also added to the foot peg mounts to complete the Giant Loop integration scheme.
  2. Z50R

Z50R Not lost yet

Oddometer:
    I have been googlesearching fuseboxes so much in the past months that the NSA probably thinks I am up to something. I think I have looked for a better solution under every rock on the internet. I want a waterproof fuse box that holds 5 blade fuses, two spares, and takes up only as much space as the fuses do. I wanted to get away from the KTM unit because it is not waterproof and the rubber cover broke on the hinge. I tried buying a BMW box but BMW jacked their rates and wanted close to $100 for something that should be $40 at most. In the end I doubled down and bought a new KTM rubber cover and sourced new fuse holders from Mouser Electronics. $15 for the rubber and $15 for the fuse holders.

IMG_1047.JPG

The KTM runs a YTZ10S battery vs the Suzuki MG7B-4. The Suzuki battery is smaller, lighter, cheaper, and much easier to source on a trip should it fail. Despite the KTM battery readily fitting the spot KTM designed for a battery, it is worth the effort to make the suzuki battery fit. Fortunately, both batterys are the same height and width. I only need to compensate for the thickness.

The KTM battery was contained by the mount for the regulator/rectifier and fuse block. The Suzuki mounts the regulator/rectifier on the frame where it has a better opportunity to air cool. I did not see a need to move it so that function of the KTM mount is unneeded. The studs were removed and the mount shortened by 3/4".

IMG_1048.JPG

And installed.

IMG_1049.JPG

At this point, all electrics are on the bike. Coincidently, today I recieved the last of the electric connectors I need in the mail too. I disassembled the bike to prep for painting the steel fabricated parts so this bike can be wired after final assembly.
    JagLite and larryboy like this.
  3. Z50R

Z50R Not lost yet

Oddometer:
    I bought the kickstart kit but hadn't even unboxed it because there are so many more urgent things that must be done first. I decided it would be wise to ensure everything in the kickstart kit would fit before painting and I am glad I did. The decompression cable mount needs to occupy space where I put the radiator fan. I got disheartened and walked away to contemplate options for a few days. I really liked the simplicity of the bracket I had and thought about selling it rather than scrapping it. Then I came to my senses and decided I could easily modify it to fit elsewhere. In fact after moving it around a bit, I realized that I only needed the most minimal modification and it'd fit on top of the other radiator. A quick check and sure enough, the fan fits there too! This works out much better because now the fan stays out of the water on all but the deepest of water crossings. Once again the fates appear to be slowing me down but in fact they are helping me. It took 3 days to get motivated to look for a solution and only 30 minutes to execute once the solution was found.

IMG_1073.JPG

An extended tab was added by welding on a 1 1/2" long piece of 1/2" square tube then cutting the tube such that it became a small piece of angle stock.

IMG_1074.JPG

Quite difficult to see here but look closely, the tab welded on above tucks into a fold on the radiator.

IMG_1075.JPG

The general arrangement. Essentially the same as when mounted on the left but upside-down.

IMG_1076.JPG

Fan installed. It tucks under the crossover tube quite nicely.
  4. Z50R

Z50R Not lost yet

Oddometer:
    All fabricated steel parts were primed and painted today. The saying

"A grinder and some paint make me the welder that I'll never be"

plays in my head all the time while I am fabricating but I know that I'll skip the grinding and that the only thing paint does for me is give the spatter some paint runs to blend in with. Some day I'll probably care about form too but I am an all function guy. I have never waxed a vehicle - the paint is only there to delay rust until the engine shits the bed.

IMG_1077.JPG

I chose gloss black to make it really easy to find paint to touch it up as necessary. I plan to let the paint cure for a week before screwing around with the parts again. If I get moto time, I need to do annual maintenance crap like valves and oil change, fork seals, and should do the kick start kit while the engine is drained.

On the egghead front, I think I am finally done all of the pre-wiring iterations of my schematic. I'll need to update it after the wiring is complete with any new useful information discovered such as pin locations but I have it organized, simplified, and color-coded as it will be on the bike. I was able to source 16 different solid colored wires in 16 and 22 gage. EDIT: as always, there is an error on this drawing too, I will update it again it appears.

440.jpg

The schematic

IMG_1053.JPG

This is the previous iteration highlighting which wires need to be 16 gage

IMG_1052.JPG

And this is that same drawing with the wire colors added. I wish I had about three more colors but beggers can't be choosers and I am quite happy I was able to find 16 colors. I avoided the need for any striped wire which I find annoying when testing and troubleshooting. I am also able to avoid recycling wire from the old harness which is really good because quite a bit of it is chaffed and random shorts to ground were becoming quite common.
    bigride, Damuffin, JagLite and 2 others like this.
  5. Z50R

Z50R Not lost yet

Oddometer:
    All of the engine checks and mods were done yesterday (kick starter, valves, crank nut, balancer nut, flywheel screws, and stator screws)

Final assembly has begun.

IMG_1108.JPG
    BeaterBike, Sleepyc, Pezz_gs and 7 others like this.
  6. Goofaroo

Goofaroo The Piddler Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm watching. Several years ago my dream bike was a 640 Adventure. I finally found a very nice 99 model and snapped it up. I loved the bike but the engine rendered it useless. It's unbelievable how badly the LC4 vibrates. It was a happy day when I sold my dream bike.

I'll be watching your build. This could be a great combination.
  7. Z50R

Z50R Not lost yet

Oddometer:
    I don't intend to do a photo update of the entire wiring process but there are a few parts of it I think could be useful to someone else. One of the dangling questions when designing a circuit for a vehicle is how you join wires mid run. I work on trains for a living, they are big and heavy on purpose so they use terminal boards. Boats and cars occasionally do too but more often than not on personal vehicles, the wires are spliced. This makes troubleshooting and repairs more difficult but it saves on weight and space. I briefly considered miniature terminal boards but securing them in place would add to the fabrication nightmare. Maybe on a future project. The next obvious solution is soldering wires. This works well on stationary applications but not so well on adventure motorcycles. When soldering wires, the solder wickes between the strands and travels up the length of wire a short distance. This created a stiff spot to either side of the joint. If the splice sees no vibration, this is not an issue. Since I can't guarantee I'll be able to properly secure the wire at each splice location, this is not a smart move. I learned this lesson the hard way on a previous dual sport conversion and was always chasing electrical problems.

The factory solution is to use a crimp connector. Eastern Beaver sells such things but I didn't know in time to add them to my order and I don't want to rack up a minimum order nor wait for shipping from Japan. There are also some on Amazon but the seller is unresponsive on the sizing. I decided to make my own.

IMG_1110.JPG

I bought insulated tinned copper ring terminals from The 'Depot, removed the insulation and chopped off the ring.

IMG_1119.PNG

I hate these kind of wire strippers because they feel clunky and imprecise. I had to buy a pair for this project since they can spread the insulation mid run without cutting the wire.

IMG_1112.JPG

Feed the crimp from the end of the wire and drop in the friend being spliced. The crimper is for weather-pak connectors but it does this job well.

IMG_1113.JPG

Net result is a crimpped connection that weighs minimally more than the combined wires and takes up about the same space.
  8. Z50R

Z50R Not lost yet

Oddometer:
    IMG_1118.PNG

A bit of heat shrink for insulation.

IMG_1115.JPG

A zip tie keeps one wire from being yanked without the support of it's friends and neighbors.

IMG_1116.JPG

And a bunch more heat shirnk turns a bundle of wires into a cable that won't get tangled.
    Salzig, Dino de Laurentiis and chasbo like this.
  9. Salsa

Salsa Long timer

Oddometer:
    JD had an excellent advice and crimp hardware for inline splices. I don't know where he posted then, but I have some in my tool box.

Don
  10. Z50R

Z50R Not lost yet

Oddometer:
    IMG_1120.JPG

The main harness was strung today. About 1/3 of the plugs were installed after this was mounted.
    JensEskildsen and invisa-bill like this.
  11. Z50R

Z50R Not lost yet

Oddometer:
    IMG_1126.JPG

The rear end/battery box area is wired. There was enough space left from downsizing the battery to squeeze a spare clutch cable in the pocket too. The positive side is intentionally disconnected still.
  12. Z50R

Z50R Not lost yet

Oddometer:
    IMG_1128.JPG

IMG_1127.JPG

IMG_1129.JPG

Everything from the steer tube back is wired. The headlight area is next and last but I want to be clear headed, bright eyed, and bushy tailed when I do that, I am afraid of making a mistake that is hard to undo at this point.
    Pezz_gs, Te Hopo, mehoww and 3 others like this.
  13. Z50R

Z50R Not lost yet

Oddometer:
    Oh joyous day! The electronics got “finished” last night and after some troubleshooting, were finished proper today. I mixed two wires while following my plan and mixed two others on the plan its self. I’ll post the final schematic after I fix it tomorrow.

Spaghetti mess before:

34626801-C4FF-4B75-8A15-476A5C5300A0.jpeg

Wired and ready for a light:

88505B39-FF45-47AD-A679-F448E167E9A8.jpeg

Installed:

CD5F1176-5F8B-4967-9D4F-24687BA9DE6F.jpeg

27044D71-CBA3-4AD3-8A12-217698DD9F70.jpeg
    BeaterBike, Te Hopo, rc mad and 3 others like this.
  14. Z50R

Z50R Not lost yet

Oddometer:
    In the spaces between stripping wires and crimping eleventybillion pins I safety wired the grips and ran a breather hose for the carb for deep water crossings.

C4D832EC-1B34-4D24-AF46-07DEED69C968.jpeg

A “T” fitting in the top loop allows a vent to run up the spine of the bike under the tank.

7093E209-6119-4507-ACEC-053C251AF3E0.jpeg

The vent runs into the fork before looping back and being tucked down the top of the steer tube.

5AC2F6BF-A887-45FF-927D-FFACF8B25F64.jpeg

I haven’t had much success at really deep water in the past but I also haven’t done this modification before. I am looking forward to seeing how it works out this summer.
    Te Hopo and larryboy like this.
  15. Z50R

Z50R Not lost yet

Oddometer:
    While performing final assembly I noted that the muffler side plastic had relaxed and was against the muffler again. I decided a rubber standoff was needed.

Stainless steel was used so that the existing stainless bracket could continue it’s life unpainted. The rubber part was a DRZ frame/tank rubber.

1AF6F3F1-0CA7-4A52-BA11-2839757E30BF.jpeg

Two bends and two holes.

F37CF330-BC80-4BF4-8ABB-B5D4E63A478D.jpeg

A weld on each side, ground back down to stay clear of the muffler rubber.

E03B59EA-180B-47AB-A14A-111A1F75040D.jpeg

Assembled.

E7C3A1D8-4FD6-4D2A-83D1-F59D440D31E4.jpeg
    Te Hopo, invisa-bill and larryboy like this.
  16. Z50R

Z50R Not lost yet

Oddometer:
    And installed on the bike.

1AE3889D-912D-4920-8D76-6A90DC458062.jpeg

B2328C43-3B2B-4657-8C00-5B814E5124B1.jpeg

I have a few things I’d like in the long term:

A better skid plate
    A neutral switch
    A more touring friendly seat
    An additional fuel tank mount
    And a better tool storage method than a tailbag.

But the only things left keeping this bike from passing a state inspection and riding down the road are gas, motor oil, and a mount to hold the air filter in place.

E77F5184-76D4-497A-BAAB-7A346FBD4944.jpeg
  17. iconman

iconman Good vibrations

Oddometer:
    Fantastic! I owned both model bikes in the past and this is a great combination. Very well done.
    Z50R likes this.
  18. JensEskildsen

JensEskildsen Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome!
  19. Z50R

Z50R Not lost yet

Oddometer:
    The updated schematic in case someone else wants ideas:

475E499E-7840-4DAC-BAA7-AA258744D354.jpeg
    invisa-bill and Tanshanomi like this.
  20. Cycleholic2010

Cycleholic2010 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This has been a fun build to watch. Glad to see it coming together.
    Z50R likes this.