Requiem for a Softail

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by BELSTAFF, Sep 20, 2017.

1. BELSTAFF

BELSTAFF ADV NOMAD

Oddometer:
    Flash back to 1988 Sturgis overflow at, Cowboy Bar Jackson, Wyoming. I was mesmerized by the colors & chrome parked in front of the bar. My wife knew that I was entranced as I had given up two wheeled connivance in favor of raising two boys. 10 years was the longest time I had been w/out a bike since I was 14 & she knew that I wanted,--no--, needed another bike. She said,"When we get home lets go see how much a new Harley will cost". I love this woman.
    1990 rolls around & we've saved enough for the down payment so off to Mid Continent H-D we go, I have the Turquoise Heritage in my sights but fate steeps up and Fred(service manager) says "you should see this trade-in we just got " That was my introduction to "Sammy" a 1990 FLHSTC, It was love at first sight---for my wife--- and she says "we'll take this one."
    I was dumbfounded, but ---well you see my wife is part witch---yes, I said WITCH---& over the years I had learned not to question her premonitions & so begins my 27 year love affair w/ Sammy.
    2005 and 172000 miles roils around & a retirement move to Arizona happens & Sammy goes into storage, not to be moved until 12 years later, last Saturday to be exact. Now during this 12 years I had discovered dual sport & adventure bikes so a series of KTM 990 & BMW 800 & R 1200 GS have come & gone but Sammy has remained-- due in part to "the witch" who says "you may have paid for her, but I picked her out so in reality Sammy is my bike, did I mention I love this woman ?
    So restoration has begun & 12 years of dust, neglect & scattered parts is underway--soon--- very soon, Sammy will be restored to her former beauty & at 27 years old she has acquired antique statues she will proudly ware a tag the simply says "SAMMY"
    Cogswell, Jarlaxle, OldDog and 3 others like this.
  2. OldDog

OldDog non impediti ratione cogitationis

Oddometer:
    Surely there are pictures of this fabled machine?
  3. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:
    I'ma wait to see what kinda amminal an FL(H)STC is.

4. OldDog

OldDog non impediti ratione cogitationis

Oddometer:
    Heritage Softail Classic innit FR?

[​IMG]

Sexy lookin beasts they are, but I like em with a bit of use about them, like they've been used as nature intended. They way Belstaff is talking we're in for a nice little tale :lurk
  5. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:
    Indeed. I enjoyed the prologue.

/hijack :lurk

6. r60man

r60man Long timer

Oddometer:
    So that was a week ago and no update???? What is the deal? More pictures!
  7. BELSTAFF

BELSTAFF ADV NOMAD

Oddometer:
    Had to take time out for a ( tech term here---- Teaec w/patch GRF Caroitid Vertb sub clav neck inc) or got my throat cut----that was the reason for all the excitement to get the bike on the lift before surgery, have limitations on what I can do so it was necessary to get it up in the air where I can strip bolts, polish chrome & assess what needs replacing. DOC & wife made me hold up on that for 5 days after I got out so I'm just now getting started. First pix is when she went into storage 12 years ago the remainder are what has happened since
    I got out of the hospital, progress will be slow but methodical due to money and budgeting for replacement parts to get her running again. DSCN0627.JPG DSCN1314.JPG DSCN1315.JPG DSCN1316.JPG
    longwaypyder and FR700 like this.
  8. r60man

r60man Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sorry, I didn't mean to bust your chops. I hope you are feeling better soon.
  9. BELSTAFF

BELSTAFF ADV NOMAD

Oddometer:
    Damn!!! I didn't realize that Harley did not take in to condensation that someone may have to work on this after they sold it, Six & one half hours of shop time to replace a drive belt WTF, complete disassembly of the rear half of the bike to remove one bolt from the belt guard, again WTF!! Was there any prior planning of any kind on this fucker?
    Honest to god, I would rather have 2 KTM 990's & half a dozen 1200GS apart on the work bench,talk about hard to work on plus I had to dig out all my tractor tools, wrenches & sockets I haven't used in years -----Once again WTF.

I'm beginning to wonder if this is a worthwhile endeavor? 12 years of being away from the Harley mystic is certainly a mind-blower, an 80 spoke wheel the 12 yrs ago was $260.00 is now $868.00 WTF!
    Oh well,I'm already knee deep in the hoopla might as well keep after it, might be pretty fuckin kool if I live long enough
  10. gusanito

gusanito Mindless Wonderer

Oddometer:

That's less time than it takes me to change out the clutch or grease the splines on my '96 R1100RT.
    While you were in there, you should've done a chain conversion. Replacing the chain is much easier.
  11. Nemosengineer

Nemosengineer Hair Ball

Oddometer:
    There's an old saying, "It's not what you have, it's what you do with it". A clear vision of what the finished bike will look and perform like is invaluable for making progress, surely with the miles you have put on it there are things you want to change, comfort, brakes, suspension, and other stuff...
    In other words, having a project plan will keep you moving forward in a predictable direction, yes parts are expensive, but so what... Here's my end result of a multi year Harley build.

[​IMG]

: Mike
  12. BELSTAFF

BELSTAFF ADV NOMAD

Oddometer:
    Well it's been awhile but I've made do with diligence . I spent last of Sept,all of Oct,& Nov plus 8 days of Dec at camp, but during that time I also made several trips to different hospitals,one by life watch helicopter----Blood clots are a bitch & best avoided if at all possible----glad to be back, and work did progress, somewhat slower than planed, (pictures will follow as soon as I can find my camera) as the Labrador makes me walk daily,wife feeds me diabetic diet & quitting smoking is killing me all make for a full plate w/ added trips to doctors have kept progress to a minimum. So stay tuned, barring any future trips to ban camp & hospitals I will finish this, I Promise. ----- OOps ! forgot Dakar starts before long so I need to get screens & computers set up for that, but honestly I will get this done..
  13. BELSTAFF

BELSTAFF ADV NOMAD

Oddometer:
    New year has arrived Sammy is now 28 yrs old. restoration continues, all parts ordered have been installed except for lower belt guard,front end & rear end have received most of the attention, so will now start the middle( fuel tanks down). it's getting closer & I will celebrate my 74th birthday in February plan is to have Sammy completed for birthday ride
    Here some photos of progress so far. DSC_0509.JPG DSC_0515.JPG DSC_0519.JPG DSC_0517.JPG
  14. husky390

husky390 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If it makes you feel better, I have to replace the belt and pulleys on my 90 FLHTCU this winter since the rear pulley has decided to go to crap. Of course this is after I've already resealed the Primaries last September.

How'd yours go? Any tips/tricks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  15. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Bregan D'Aerthe

Oddometer:
    SO...anything?
  16. BELSTAFF

BELSTAFF ADV NOMAD

Oddometer:
    Ignition, coils, lights, turn signals, --Well basically everything electrical is kapute, I have no idea where to start, hooking up a battery is the end of my electrical comprehension.
    Harley shop says bring it in we'll get it up & running----Ok fine, I have some problems here ---$150.00 to pick it up,$90.00 per hr to sort it out , plan on about $1500 to 2000 to get it up & running OH! plus parts if we're lucky----- Ok people remember I'm on a fixed income,it will take awhile at $100. bucks per month allowed expenditure to save enough for for that-- see ya in about a year or so OK?
    Soooooo that's where I'm at -----------What is it the Jews say?--Next year in Jerusalem--we'll see.

I don't think anyone is going to buy into a "Go fund me" account "To fix my bike" :lol3
  17. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Bregan D'Aerthe

Oddometer:
    Well, there is plenty of brainpower and experience here. Other than hooking up a battery, what have you managed for diagnosis? Off the top of my head: have you checked the main fuse/fusible link? No power ANYWHERE sounds to me like the it may have popped.

Have you posted on HD Forums? There is an ENORMOUS amount of knowledge there...and I'm sure they will find reviving an old Softail very cool.
    husky390 likes this.
  18. FR700

FR700 Heckler ™©®℗

Oddometer:
    If you've got no power after turning the key on then start with the circuit breaker.

https://www.fixmyhog.com/video/fuse-check-001725/ this bloke has a full series of videos that'll get you started.

The 2 studs on the circuit breaker are different colors. Be sure that you have the wires on the correct stud.

[​IMG]
  19. Jarlaxle

Jarlaxle Bregan D'Aerthe

Oddometer:
    Or (temporarily) jump it with a (fuzed) wire.
  20. BELSTAFF

BELSTAFF ADV NOMAD

Oddometer:
    Me thinks there is a answer and a simple one it is---I have had my 2006 BMW for sale everywhere I can think of, Here, cycle trader,even Craigslist no takers------It's not like I'm asking a fortune or your first born, 6k seems about right for a completely set up touring bike, but not even a nibble.
    If I could sell it I would have enough funds to complete the resurrection & "Sammy" would live again.