Rescuing a ttr225

Discussion in 'Some Assembly Required' started by Puregonzo279, Aug 27, 2018.

1. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking good.Alot of elbow grease on that project.
  2. Puregonzo279

Puregonzo279 Ms wanderer

Oddometer:
    20190101_221559.jpg looks like this is going to need a soak just to see if it's salvageable. I wonder if I can buy the filters for the petcock or not. Everything I have found just sells the petcock as one piece but the style is all different. I don't know if I can put that knob on a new one and don't want to waste ten bucks to find out. 20190101_223504.jpg I also am not sure if there should be this much play in the clutch 20190101_223515.jpg when the cable was hooked up it was snapped. He stated this was the original reason it was parked. I put some pliers on the cable and pulled to try and get it in gear but to no avail. So I don't know what it could be. Any help would be Much appreciated.
  3. Puregonzo279

Puregonzo279 Ms wanderer

Oddometer:
    20181209_225906.jpg
    I got to play with the frame a little. I put the swing arm and shock back on I know I will have to remove that bolt in the swing arm in order to get the motor back in but I wanted a mock up before the motor goes back in. Makes me feel like I am making progress. Even the wife said "hey it actually looks like a bike again. " 20180828_203710.jpg before 20180828_203706.jpg After 20181209_225915.jpg I got the triple tree back together after I gave the forks a good bath. They needed it.
  4. Puregonzo279

Puregonzo279 Ms wanderer

Oddometer:
    20181210_015323.jpg forks and handlebars back on . While I was messing with this my 8 month old got into my tool bag after I had stepped away for a moment for a phone call, he got out a wrench and decided to make some music. He nicked the paint all the way to the metal. I Don't know how to fix it without sanding it all the way down. Maybe a touch up pen? 20181210_015904.jpg
    Ignition switch is back in.
    LandsVW likes this.
  5. LandsVW

LandsVW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Doing great! I have a 2003 TTR225 and 2002 TTR125 (and several other bikes - it’s a good sickness). Both have seen some serious punishment from prior owners. I really enjoy fixing them up.
  6. Puregonzo279

Puregonzo279 Ms wanderer

Oddometer:
    20181206_001257.jpg I think in liking this deep sink as much as the wife. It's great for washing all sorts of bike parts. 20181206_020450.jpg 20181206_020456.jpg got it all cleaned up and fresh filters installed. 20181206_021156.jpg
    LandsVW likes this.
  7. LandsVW

LandsVW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    7D936E48-56BD-481E-B76F-A0ED75BA5868.jpeg Btw, in most states TTR225’s can be made street legal. Their VIN has no ‘flags’ in them to mark them as dirt bikes. I’ve got mine registered and plated. Did the Vermont trick then changed it over. No issues! I put headlight, brake light and turn signals and mirrors on it, and it’s good to go. And, them having electric start and a battery make the setup relatively easy.
  8. Puregonzo279

Puregonzo279 Ms wanderer

Oddometer:
    You can see in that last picture how awesome my organizational skills are. I knew were everything was till my son decided to grab that blue tray and drag it in the floor with him. This is gonna be a fun build. I can tell already. 20181007_163626.jpg
  9. Puregonzo279

Puregonzo279 Ms wanderer

Oddometer:
    I did not know that. Did you have to change the stator in order to handle the new load with lights? Turn signals are not required in Mississippi in order to be street legal. All I need is headlight, tail light and a tag light. Turn signals would be handy in town. You are making me want to keep it for some offroading.
  10. LandsVW

LandsVW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A98D9154-9684-4857-B37D-97B19E28E073.jpeg No. The stator, since it’s already charging the battery has power and has handled my lights for 2 years now with no issues. Here’s my not exactly perfect setup but works fine. Bought the taillight off eBay for 12$ and some cheap but actually fine Chinese switches for it too, 15$ I think. I want to say the brake switch bracket is already welded to the frame! On mine it was anyway. But easy to create one or use a hose clamp. And the clutch and brake perches already have the mirror mounts too, or at least mine do. Pretty neat bikes! Good for that low budget dual sporting.
  11. Puregonzo279

Puregonzo279 Ms wanderer

Oddometer:
    I like that setup. I don't expect mine to be perfect either and the more I work on it the more I wanna keep it . My wife wants to learn how to ride anyway she loves driving a stick and thinks it would be fun. If I could get this thing on the road she would be all about keeping it. Street legal dirt bike for under a thousand. Can't beat it. Did you make that headlight setup yourself ?
    LandsVW likes this.
  12. LandsVW

LandsVW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Heck yeah - it’s a Honda (6v originally) sealed beam from a 1970’s bike that I cut the back out of (the backs are metal) and then created a little bracket to mount a car hi/low beam halogen in. Lol had both laying around the shop. Then, cut a hole in the number plate. Looks kind of umm, red neck, but that’s ok. It’s my low budget dual sport! I keep it at my moms house in Alaska for summer use. Ridden the heck out of it. Highway speeds are kind of out of reach ( but a smaller rear sprocket would help) but once I hit dirt it’s really a great bike. I use an old 5$ gps to tell how fast I’m going. An iPhone with a bracket would work too. And a person could rig up a 12 volt socket. So many possibilities with these bikes when we get them cheaply. And, mine was given to me by my brother in law and sister with lots of engine issues so I put rings, gaskets, a timing chain and a few other pieces into it. Probably have 500$ total into it including the titling.
  13. LandsVW

LandsVW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’ve ridden mine for over 9 hours in a day and honestly it is very comfortable, doesn’t beat me up and I actually wanted to keep riding at the end of the day... testament to good ergonomics for sure. Kind of front heavy maybe? But very stable feeling.
  14. LandsVW

LandsVW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  15. Puregonzo279

Puregonzo279 Ms wanderer

Oddometer:
    That's really awesome. I like the looks of it myself. When you worked on the motor did you have any issues with your clutch ? I can change gears on this one without the use of the clutch and I worry it might need a new one.
  16. Puregonzo279

Puregonzo279 Ms wanderer

Oddometer:
    20190102_003526.jpg I pulled the oil filter , and found metal shavings. So either there is a lot in there and some crazy catastrophic failure or they made their way up there when I turned the motor over . I don't know. I know when I change the primary in my sporty there is usually a small amount of metal shavings attached to the magnet on the drain plug. But the filter on this sits up pretty high. I don't know what to think at this point. I'm about to pull the cover for the clutch basket and see what's on the other side.
  17. LandsVW

LandsVW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Most bikes, when not running can shift through the the gears without the clutch. So, until it’s running and You have the clutch cable attached and it has tension, I wouldn’t worry about it?

At that point, if clutch seems weird then the side cover can come off and you can then fix it.

I wouldn’t worry excessively about the tiny metal shavings either, yet. Get the new filter in, change the oil and start it. Listen for weird noises, check the clutch action, check for excessive smoke and if all seems well, go ride it!
  18. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You don't need a clutch to shift gears as said before.The clutch lever on motor is most likely ok as when cable is unhooked many can swing back.The clutch plates are most likly just stuck.Happens when they sit for awhile. Aim the bike at a open area and be ready for it to take off in 1st gear even with clutch in.clutch will break loose pretty fast and the you can adjust it.
    LandsVW likes this.
  19. Junglejeff1

Junglejeff1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have seen worse for metal in filters.I would not worry to much at this point.
    LandsVW likes this.
  20. LandsVW

LandsVW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Remember the clutch is just a interface, if you will, between the spinning crankshaft and the gearbox. The idea is, both are spinning when engine is started and clutch is released. Of course, bike is usually in neutral at this point. The clutch is engaged, and it allows the driven shaft to slow down and stop so that the first gear can be engaged. Once it’s engaged all it does is reconnect the crankshaft speed to the gearbox speed. So, when crankshaft is stationary, all 5-6 gears should work fine and in fact if a person rocks the output shaft (where the drive chain is attached)a little, should be able to shift through all gears with a non running engine. The rocking or twisting of the output shaft is just letting the gears inside the gearbox move a little to engage the teeth.
    Junglejeff1 likes this.