Resealing Seams on a tent, tarp, or rainfly

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by dredman, Nov 10, 2019.

1. dredman

dredman Dirty Moto-Tourist

Oddometer:
    It started out as a small repair on my tarp that had some slight oozing on two pull-outs. I figured while I was at it, I would experiment with an old tent I was about to retire that had a significant leak in the vestibule. I wound up treating all the seams on both, but when the tent treatment did not work I sprayed the entire fly for giggles. I was really impressed with the result.

2. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    Interesting fix, did you notice any appreciable weight gain on the tent rainfly once fully coated with the spray bottle and dried? Rainfly still just as flexible?
  3. dredman

Oddometer:
    No weight gain on the tent fly, and the even coat did not show any odd shades. That fly was crusty already, so flexible is not something I would describe. I only treated the seams on the other, but it did a show a sheen on those spots. Well that, and it stopped the leaks :)
  4. DCrider

Oddometer:
    Good to know, recently replaced the fly on my 10yr old ALPS tent as seam sealer did not do much. I may give your approach a try on my old REI tent as they don't have replacement rainflys.
  5. dredman

Oddometer:
    I am thinking seam leaks are just one of many paths for rain to penetrate. The more I think about the tent, the more I consider WHERE the most wear comes from - rolling up the vestibule 1-5x every day I am inside it means it will lose its coating that much faster. So surprised it has lasted me this well for so long, and just now showed small leaks?
    $12 worth of supplies and you can spray 10+ entire rainflys, instead of just 'seam-sealing' one for the same price? I would like to know your experience?
  6. DCrider

Oddometer:
    Well I did use the $8 bottle of seem sealer on the REI tent then sprayed the entire fly with the KIWI Camp dry $6.95, did seem to fix the leaks based on quick hose shower but not yet used it in a steady all day rain. If/when it fails again I'll go with your technique as I suspect it's a better approach, plus cheaper and as a former KLR owner I appreciate cheap fixes that work!
  7. CROSSBOLT

CROSSBOLT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How 'bout spraying with Scotch-Guard?
  8. DCrider

Oddometer:
    Kiwi CampDry is essentially the same thing, it works but tends to wear out after a couple uses.
  9. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:

Here is method I used,materials available at nearby hardware store.
    Have used SeamGrip,etc in past,this works just as well.

Use NikWax Tent and Gear SolarProof on the rainfly as a protectant and waterproofing.

JR356
    DCrider likes this.