Resist the years! Resist the years!

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by Burbankalley, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Burbankalley

Burbankalley ancient ski patrolle

Oddometer:
    Growing old is inevitable, and grumbling about the effects of it -- re aching joints and muscles and the stiffness of both -- makes about as much sense as grumbling about the last bits of ice cream in your cone! Get all of it, Bunky! Suck up all the last bits of life as heartily as you did the first! Get all of it! Otherwise, you're cheating yourself.... And if your family and friends keep telling you that at 77 you're simply too old to ride all the way north on Alaska's Dalton Highway, slap on a third wheel and go anyway! Damn the years! Damn the family and friends! Full speed wherever! too old for the dalton!.jpg
  2. TurTal

TurTal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sally forth old man !
  3. Desertaire

Desertaire Adventurer

Oddometer:
    When I grow up, I want to be just like you.
  4. Wolfgang55

Wolfgang55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    They say there is a time for everything............perhaps for some get everything in your time.

Go forth young man, but only if you're going to share your pix.

But for that ''full speed''.........just be sure to shift out of first.
  5. Metalcarver

Metalcarver Geezer Berserker Supporter

Oddometer:
    Are you on the road?
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  6. GPD323

GPD323 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    A KLR too! Nice, have fun!
  7. Burbankalley

Oddometer:
    not now... the pic was last summer....
    rg sw wa. likes this.
  8. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes! Do you have a ride report from the trip?!
    rg sw wa. and JustKip like this.
  9. DRONE

DRONE Dog Chauffeur

Oddometer:
    rg sw wa., Bobmws and Flyin' Monkeys like this.
  10. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    "I might be getting old, but I refuse to grow up." These are the words I live by.
    pratered, CVAN, rg sw wa. and 3 others like this.
  11. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    So you have all these plague hunkered geezers festering in a great heaving pile of unrequited wanderlust, and then you went and poked a stick in it. You better tell us a story or it could get messy. Even if of questionable veracity.
    :rilla
  12. Wolfgang55

Wolfgang55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now I understand the leather helmet ....
    rg sw wa., Burbankalley and Bobmws like this.
  13. Metalcarver

Oddometer:
    Hm. Ski patrol. You probably wouldn't know of a kid who got his ticket ripped half a dozen times, always skied in closed areas , going down avalanche chutes, jumping roads, and cutting in line.

Me neither.
    rg sw wa. and Burbankalley like this.
  14. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
    There's old pilots and bold pilots but not many old bold pilots !

God may have created man but Col Colt made them all equal !

There isn't a horse that can't be rode, nor a cowboy who can't be thrown !

I'm sure I can find more platitudes or whatever ! But it's best to live within ones physical abilities. I met an old guy at a Guzzi rally in IA he crashed out of the Ironman 3 x his wife and daughter suggested if he signed up again to find a different place to live.
    [​IMG]

I guess the real question might be, Is self absorption a liability or what ?

15. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like to complain...did when I was 20.
    But I will "...not go gentle into that good night". At just shy of 64, I just bought another whitewater raft. This one is used, and the seller, who bought it at age 60, is 74 now. He will only be going rafting on commercial trips now, so he doesn't have to deal with dragging a 107 lb raft to the water and back. I bought this one so I wouldn't have to drag the 140 lb one around unless I have a full crew to help. Staying active keeps us alive. The years will come. Resist the recliner and couch!
    CVAN, Wolfgang55, rg sw wa. and 4 others like this.
  16. redfishguide

redfishguide Old Dirt Biker Supporter

Oddometer:
    At closing in on 70 I like the tone this thread is taking. Gonna take me and Buck out kicking I believe.

Old saying but one I believe in...."age is just a state of mind"...

As far as this crazy virus going around....I figure us old guys just need to hang in there till if and hopefully things will wind up with the youngins having a cure all ready for us.

So just keep your head low and your powder dry and all things for us will fly.....

Jack and Buck (btw Buck's no youngin either)
  17. Gasket

Gasket Wandering Samurai

Oddometer:
    I just heard something that was appropriate, "The core of a man's spirit comes from new experiences".

With age 72 quickly approaching, I'm trying but must admit that age pain from what Burbankelly mentions is now a fact of life. At least my 18 month old knee is finally starting to feel better. As we all well know, remaining active is the key.

I finally got out the other day to ride off road on my KLR. The ride was a total of 100 miles but with 15 miles on an extremely primitive road with a tank trap size hole seeming to be around every blind, downhill switchback curve. I'll be taking my DL650/Sputnick hack off road just as soon as I can get the rear wheel/car brake (or more accurately, lack of), sorted. My Canadian friend, one who I've ridden many miles with around the US and Canada, just bought a pristine 2016 Ural Gear up and we are already planning some adventures.

Off Road.jpg

And one more. About a month ago I made some new friends, meeting them at Ace Hardware. Duane and Tillie are in their mid 80s and rode until Duane was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer at age 78. Duane's cancer is in remission and I think they'll probably take up riding again. They were a couple of eastern Washington ranchers who were also rodeo head and heal steer ropers. Inspirational they were.
    pratered, rg sw wa., Jimr80gs and 5 others like this.
  18. Burbankalley

Oddometer:
    Ha! So you're that damned kid! True story: I was shoveling down a snow jump at my area (the area made us do it) when a kid on a snowboard went off that jump about sixty miles an hour, and passed so close to me I almost had a heart attack.... I snapped into my bindings and tore off after that fool in a blue jacket, determined to have justice done.... he was faster than me and disappeared into the crowds at the base. But I figured I had him scoped by the color of his clothes, and went into the lodge looking for him, loaded for bear. I found him at a table, with his girlfriend or wife, and tore into him like fury, embarrassing him in front of about a hundred people, when his shocked girlfriend asked, "Are you sure you have the right guy? We've been here an hour!" Suddenly, I wasn't sure I had the right guy, mumbled something about how hard it is to find the right people in blue coats, and slunk off...... they, of course, went off to complain about me, but they didn't notice my name tag and I never fessed up to it..... worse thing I've done as a patroller....
    CVAN, rg sw wa. and Bobmws like this.
  19. Burbankalley

Oddometer:

Lol.... all my stories are of questionable veracity! I act on the principle of, "If this ain't true, it damn well should be!"
    TurTal and JustKip like this.
  20. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    Never let the truth get in the way of a good story!