Resist the years! Resist the years!

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by Burbankalley, Apr 29, 2020.

1. davebig

davebig Another Angry Hun !

Oddometer:
    Mo it's good to keep your expectations low, the OP is new. :-)
    Bobmws likes this.
  2. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you think it's possible to divorce "the meaning of life" from the OP, you should go ahead and ignore me. That's pretty much the Only thing I see in the OP.
    Flyin' Monkeys, brstar and Strong Bad like this.
  3. claude stanley

claude stanley Claude

Oddometer:
    Rough crowd lol
    Flyin' Monkeys and BJMoose like this.
  4. Burbankalley

Burbankalley ancient ski patrolle

Oddometer:
    Ya know … I'm the OP, and I'm new here, and new to sidecars.... But I am a Vietnam Veteran, took a Master's Degree on the G.I. Bill (granted, it's only in Counseling, but ….), went clean and sober three decades ago, married an incredible, kind and beautiful woman, raised a fierce, football middle linebacker who is now an architect, completed an honorable career, and at the age of 78 am still an active ski patroller …… So it's not like I fell off a cabbage truck yesterday, but most of the time I haven't a clue what the hell you all are talking about!

But one thing I know for sure …. I've been riding motorcycles since I came home from Vietnam … and when I ride I no longer am concerned with the meaning of life, or right or wrong, or whether God really exists, or how I look to others … I become wrapped in the joy of the wind, the joy of changing horizons, the joy of dancing sunlight and shadows -- and all of this seasoned with the lurking knowledge of the danger, the unavoidable fact that I could lose it all in a blinding, crashing moment … but if I end in a bloody ditch somewhere, it will be all right, payment due for a bargain made long, long ago... the promise of freedom for just the potential of maiming or death. It was a good bargain in 1966; and it's a good bargain today. You see, I feel alive when I ride --- and I will do it, two wheels or three, until I cannot. But please keep responding! I'll read every word, and follow along as best I can!
    Ajacks, draperg1, Some Beach and 16 others like this.
  5. Flyin' Monkeys

Flyin' Monkeys Wicked Witch Airlines Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well said, Mike.

Very well said. :thumb
  6. TurTal

TurTal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well I was born in 65 so if ya need any pointers just let me know

Burbankalley likes this.
  7. High Octane

High Octane Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe we could get this thread moved into the For Sale thread. It would fit right in with all the dribble posted there lately!

OK I'm just joking, dribble on I'm dribbling with ya.
  8. propforward

propforward PIE!romaniac

Oddometer:
    I've been enjoying it. I have no wisdom to impart though. Except that I quite enjoy chocolate covered raisins in my mixed nuts.
  9. Burbankalley

Oddometer:

Chocolate covered raisins! Oh, Holy Ural!
    draperg1, Flyin' Monkeys and TurTal like this.
  10. Old Dudes Matter

Old Dudes Matter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well hell, I’m in. I enjoy this dribble. I have been lurking on the Hacks forum for a while now. Just haven’t pulled the trigger yet and jumped to three wheels. The Hacks forum as a whole has been a favorite since I joined adv rider. You guys and gals, poke fun at each other and yourselves and it all seems at least to be very tongue and cheek. Someone may piss somebody off, but it’s all really good natured (most have thick skin).
    Now I have a question, a little over three weeks ago after riding my dirt bike (DRZ 400) and having a great day in the woods. I woke up in the middle of the night (because I’m old) and room was moving back and forth like bad cruise ship. After yacking my guts up all night, a trip to the Dr’s (virtually on the internet now) and The Dr thinks I have “EPPV” basically I shook my noodle a little too had playing around and dislodged some crystals in my inner ear, which started interfering with the nerve receptors. Has this happened to anybody else? and did it ever come back? This maybe what caused the vertigo and my dirt bike days maybe over, heck my street two wheeled days my be over also. I have three 2 wheelers in the garage now, so I’m thinking that’s the same as two new hacks right? If I continue down this rabbit hole, I am thinking of starting out with a used Ural, as slow is OK and everything that I’ve read says that being so used to two wheels Im gonna suck on three for a while.
    brstar likes this.
  11. BJMoose

BJMoose that trick never works

Oddometer:
    ^My friends wife had this condition and it lasted quite a while.
  12. Old Dudes Matter

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feed back, not really what I wanted to hear. But sometimes the truth hurts...
  13. propforward

propforward PIE!romaniac

Oddometer:
    Oh yeah. I'm not one to skirt controversy.
    Burbankalley and Flyin' Monkeys like this.
  14. Old Dudes Matter

Oddometer:
    Yes, I’m sure your right. I can never remember the acronym and had to ask the wife and she’s never wrong, just ask her.....
    brstar and Flyin' Monkeys like this.
  15. High Octane

High Octane Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

When I shake my noodle is usually to avoid dribble. YMMV
    Flyin' Monkeys likes this.
  16. TurTal

TurTal Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you're having an inner ear issue to the point where you believe your 2 wheeled days are over then imho you may want to rethink your decision to buy a Ural

Imagine trying to wrangle an out of control 800lb wet noodle while you're experiencing a little vertigo at 45mph

Urals by their nature are wiggly...bouncy and love to constantly go their own way as if they have a mind of their own

That's why we love them...they have a mechanical soul and it's what makes them a hoot to ride

But...

You can't tame a Ural...you can only learn to adapt to them

That requires a different skill set and it takes time for your brain and muscles to unlearn their 2 wheel memory

You may not have to balance a sidecar but if you lose yours it could be game over when it goes bad

And when it goes bad....it goes bad fast

Just sumpin to ponder

Hope you get better and get to keep riding

Old Dudes Matter likes this.
  17. Burbankalley

Oddometer:
    I suffered from "benign postural" vertigo about a decade ago.... by chance I discovered that Palmer School trained chiropractors could take away the symptoms (which is all I cared about). Also, I may be delusional, but motorcycling seemed to keep the disorder in check .... the usual vibrations shook loose the particles. You might talk to a chiropractor, but the one that fixed me said to make sure the guy was trained at the Palmer school..... I offer this just for what it's worth.... I'm no doctor....
  18. Pokie

Pokie Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer:
    Isn't that the situation where the doctor or chiropractor can bend you over, tip your head this way and that to re-align the crystals? I've seen it done but wouldn't try it without knowing what to do.
  19. TurTal

TurTal Long timer

Oddometer:
    Never fall for the old "bend over and let me align your crystals" trick
    High Octane, brstar and Burbankalley like this.
  20. FLYING EYEBALL

FLYING EYEBALL out of step

Oddometer:
    I've used this, worked great for me. May take several tries. It freaked me out extra as I've had a few Strokes.

Flyin' Monkeys and Burbankalley like this.