[RESOLVED] Anyone here in Omaha? I need help from an agent...

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by rufus919, Jan 4, 2016.

1. rufus919

rufus919 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello World. First post on ADV; I've been lurking like crazy these last few weeks.

I live in Oakland CA. I'm setting up to take my newly acquired 2007 DR650 ("The Doctor") on a ~12,000 mile, 3 month tour across the US, down through Mexico and CA, etc. etc. and am desperately sourcing used ADV farkles.

This guy in Omaha has the IMS 4.9 gal tank, Corbin saddle and Pelican cases I want, all for a reasonable price, however he refuses to sell/ship them to me without meeting me in person because of "the whole craigslist thing" (even after I offer to send him cash in advance!).

Anyway, if anyone in Omaha will act as my agent to meet this guy, purchase, and ship the goods it would mean the world to me; I'm blown away by how difficult it is to find used parts for what seems to be a fairly popular bike. I'm sure we can work out some kind of agreement to make it worth your time.

For reference, here's the listing...if I can't get it I hope someone can...:

https://omaha.craigslist.org/mpo/5343908112.html

Let me know what you think!
  2. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds strange to me. I would prefer to not meet anyone buying stuff from me on Cragislist in person. I get kind of antsy when guys come by to buy bikes.
  3. rufus919

Oddometer:
    Yeah, totally strange...guy even gave this weird chuckle after "sorry man, I hate buying new parts as much as the next guy..." Anyway, other avenues are being explored...one of the inmates in SC is hooking up the saddle for almost the same price (hopefully) and I have a line on some Wolfman bags and an Acerbis tank...just need pannier racks now...

Thanks to all who took a look at this; hopefully someone in Omaha can make good on this deal...the price seems very right.
  4. rustycager

rustycager Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's not strange at all. Not everyone has paypal or wants to give out their info. When buying especially I'd rather see it first.
  5. rufus919

Oddometer:
    Yeah, 'spose that's a good point...I guess I can see it from his perspective...wish I could gain his trust nonetheless...:norton
  6. keeponriding

keeponriding Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm with webbnm...I don't want anyone coming over to my house....cash is cash....once it's in hand, I'm fine with putting in a box and shipping....it can be a hassle to ship international, still....

I don't do craigs' list though....
  7. TDC_ERock

TDC_ERock Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    You will very much enjoy the seat!
  8. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    Hey - this has got to be a guy who is a good friend of mine. If you are still trying to work this out let me know.
  9. rufus919

Oddometer:
    Thanks for hookin it up ERock.
  10. rufus919

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your reply tbird. I went with ERock Corbin, a new 5.3g Acerbis and used Wolfman bags. I appreciate you reaching out nonetheless...will let you know if any of the above end of being an issue.
  11. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    Cool. He is one of the most trustworthy guys I know. Known him for years, bought a bike from him and rode it on the Continental Divide ride in '07. Helps me with tire changes and maintenance. I'm sure he was just being cautious.
  12. rufus919

Oddometer:
    Yeah, a buddy of mine pointed out that your guy was just following craigslist's own advocated policy...no hard feelings at all at this point.

"Avoiding Scams
    Deal locally, face-to-face —follow this one rule and avoid 99% of scam attempts."

https://www.craigslist.org/about/scams