1. eNewsletter Sign Up

RESOLVED - Anyone know who can help get a motorcycle off a mountain?

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest and whatev' started by TK-LA, Oct 24, 2011.

1. xymotic

xymotic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey!! I never called the ambulance! LOL, it was a paved road too.

Like I said, conflicted.

lol Rob I totally forgot about that.
  2. Earl999

Earl999 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got it!

Thanks!
  3. Rinty

Rinty Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, all in all, this was a pretty good read. :thumb
  4. groop

groop So much to ponder

Oddometer:
    Says the guy with the sympathetic avatar :D

Glad bikes and inmates are OK.
  5. Earl999

Earl999 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  6. airborndad

airborndad Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm just glad we didn't have to start filling out a bunch of these
    :D

[​IMG]

Good job TK-LA of handling all the BS and still giving us all a good honest account of want went down

All in All a Good ending

thanks to a handful of good ADVers especially Motomike :thumb and Windrat :thumb great job guys
    :clap
  7. spafxer

spafxer Long timer

Oddometer:

You may technically be correct Charles, but try turning a 500 + pound motorcycle around on this loose forest road... You might be inclined to call it a "single track" then.
    A cliff on one side and a mountain on the other are much tougher to deal with than than a single line of no growing grass with level dirt all around..

And Rob,.................. Rob, ............. Rob,............. Oh, what can I say? :lol3 Grab another beer, and chill, OK?

I can see now that we need to have an ADV ride up and down this trail so we can all see how tough it "might or might not be"...

Mr. Joel, keeper of calendars what dates are available please??

8. notmybikemodelname

notmybikemodelname KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer:
    Hey Jim, You know me and you know if anyone laughs at himself, it's me. Therefore, I feel completely comfortable laughing at everyone else.

Therefore, I'm starting this thread http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=17209593#post17209593
  9. herrhelmet

herrhelmet Land n sea adv

Oddometer:
    :rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl
  10. bump

bump COLOR ME GONE

Oddometer:
    You pop off like some epic single track expert and post pictures of stuff any NOOB can do? The stuff you posted certainly ain't real single track and absolutely lacks any difficulty.

Single track used to mean there was only one track available and it was difficult. Apparently you've lowered the bar so that any cow path is now real single track.

And remember these guys are on street bikes and are IMO pushing their bikes near their limits. That is made more true after seeing the DG looking stuff the trails there are made of. A heavy bike with street tires on all that DG is not something I'd sign up for. I don't remember their original post saying anything about the riding being life threatening epic trail. My memory, while far from perfect, is that the challenge was they were unprepared, fatigued, and at a loss for how to get their bikes turned around without doing real damage to the bikes.

I attributed the urgency in TK-LA's tone to his leaving his bike in the wilderness and hoping it did not disappear.

So step off the bandwagoning and get back to us when you've done something like this. Because this old video is real single track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsYNFhO6c8g&feature=channel_video_title

Kudos to the men who helped these guys out of a jam. You guys are the best part of this site.

11. Windrat

Windrat just a poser

Oddometer:
    The trail is open all year gets a little snow in the winter

cherry creek road
    [​IMG]

there's few pic's from last winter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this day was very cold I went out to the tables and had beer
    There is a very hard single track that starts at the tables and is waiting for all you badass trailboss's
    and unless you have a real skill set going down is a good plan
  12. Off Limits

Off Limits Banned

Oddometer:
    Tk, don't worry about razr. He used to ride a KLR. Now he thinks he's a bad ass because he bought a used up ktm. I'd like to try to ride mydr650 up it!
  13. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:

I might actually hang out with you FF's someday. :lol3

Thanks for the XRR muffler. :evil
  14. larryboy

larryboy Stable genius.

Oddometer:

This is the west, we beat horses until there isn't anything left...nightshift just got here. :wink:

Single track:

[​IMG]

:hide

I'm seriously glad you guys got your bikes back in good condition and have a learned a good lesson without dying.

:beer
  15. RAZR

RAZR u may run the risks my friend but I do the cutting

Oddometer:
    one of those pics was from lower Rincon Trail riding UP.

the other was on Cannel Trail.

these pics were from my phone when we were taking a break. if you wanna see the video, look down at my sig. under WARPED. don't fucking question my ability to ride. i never said i was an expert rider, but i know what single track is.

aw yes, The Rider.... how's your parents basement these days? :csm:type

but thank you for bringing up a really good point.

yes, i owned a KLR and loved (and hated) that bike. it made me grow quickly. and i would ride it all over on singletrack. i am infamously a Riceless Victim.:D

my first year of riding dual sport on my KLR i took a side route off this forest road in Washington State and ended up getting my KLR stuck in a mud pit (something we don't see often here). oh yeah, i was riding solo. i tried to get my bike out, but there was no way. it would sink more and more. i had to hike out for miles until a the one car coming down the forest road picked me up and drove me to the near gas station. (cell service didn't work in the forest and this was PRE-Spot). my buddy came and helped me out and i was home at around 3AM. there was NO WAY i would leave my bike up there. i was planning on staying the night if i had to.
    it was a stupid mistake and i would never do that again.

but my point is, yes i no longer have my KLR because i got hit by a car and totaled it. but it opened the oportunity to buy a REAL dual sport dirtbike. and yes, my KTM is the best bike for what i want to do.

so my advice to the OP, buy a real dual sport (KTM EXC, Husky TE, Husaberg FE, Beta or ever a Yamaha WR250 or a Suzuki DRZ400).

keep the street bikes for the twisties and have the dual sport for this trail you were "stuck" on.

BTW i was up in that area ride riding with my buddy Finn (Lost Rider) and we were looking for some dirt. thanks for the heads up on a new trail (to me).
  16. Roadracer_Al

Roadracer_Al louder, louder, louder!

Oddometer:
    It was fun while it lasted.

I've got closure.

I learned lessons.

I'm over the dick-waving.

Out.
  17. tahoeacr

tahoeacr Long timer

Oddometer:
    You guys are all wrong. This is single track. Cause the only track you see is the single one on your GPS you are trying to follow:rofl.
    [​IMG]

Who cares
  18. notmybikemodelname

notmybikemodelname KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer:
    Here are pictures of double and single tracks.

[​IMG]
  19. herrhelmet

herrhelmet Land n sea adv

Oddometer:

Finally someone knows what they're talking about!:lol3
  20. redog1

redog1 KTM 690R

Oddometer:

I was thinking the same thing. :lol3 . WTF. I get the different levels of riding experience and all but really, Come on.:dunno