Resurecting my, no longer abanoned, retired and rusty old relic.

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by bwalsh, Jun 28, 2019.

1. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd rather get the correct radiator if I did a swap.

What's this adapter plate you speak of? Do these Auto trans have a bell housing that bolts to the trans body? There's one in the local junkyard, Slant 6/Auto. I haven't looked at it closely.
  2. thumpism

thumpism Between bikes

Oddometer:
    If the Caddy is an El Dorado you might as well swap the big 500 cubic inch engine and front drivetrain into the van. It's "only" a little more work.
  3. vtwin

vtwin Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer:
    Would you have to change the "K" member, like in a Challenger, to fit a V8? I know little about Mopars.
  4. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    No. There is nothing but ground under the engine.

[​IMG]

The transmission mount is above the transmission.(photo off the net)

[​IMG]

No lower cross member, which makes it sketchy to transform the van into a 4x4 by just adding a front axle and transfer case. The transmission already sits low and T case would be sitting pretty low too. Add a home made skid plate to protect them and you just lost a few more inches of ground clearance and something to catch on/tear off.
    vtwin likes this.
  5. Nailhead

Nailhead Inclusion Rider

Oddometer:
    Take a look at a Scout 80/800 sometime: it's a wonder one can go anywhere off-road in one with the lack of clearance a stock one has. There's a lot more daylight under that tranny than there is anywhere under Harry's 800.
  6. vtwin

vtwin Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer:
    That's great that you can get to the oil filter so easily. My first car, a 1963 Plymouth Valiant was challenging to change the filter and forget about changing points on the distributor without dropping a screw down it. I just pulled the distributor to do any work on it.
  7. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    My first vehicle was a 65 Dodge PU with the same drive train as what's in this van. The hood of the truck was made to open up past vertical so it rested on the drip line of the front of the cabs roof. The wheel wells were flat and the frame rails were completely exposed. I could sit on the wheel well with my feet resting on the frame, and comfortably work on anything on either side of the engine!
  8. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    76 caddy is a smogger and junk, you want the 69-72, only the eldos were 501's but imo the 472 ran circles round em...i had at the same time a 72 eldo and a 71 coupe devillie 2dr, and the coupe would leave rubber till you let up, wanna do a burn out..youll actualy chew holes in the pavement, the eldo was much more...civilised and boring

an RB "will" fit but its tightasfuck, and cooling is an issue

as far as a LA swap, im not even certain that the rad on the slanty vs la is actualy different on the vans, they did their best to re-use EVERYTHING they could, so much so thats why i mentioned the adaptor plate, so the 727 behind ALL of the slanty vans is actualy a LA unit with a 1inch thick swap plate from the factory, you get you paws on that and the matching crank spacer and you can then stuff ANY small block trans behind a slanty in ..well...anything

as far as linkage, let me state this right off the get go...if you put an auto in there you can remove all but 1 linkage rod from the 3spd and re-connect it to the auto, and its 100% functional, you wont have an indicator but with as sharp as the points are in those trannys youll feel it, hell you could easily put an indicator needle on the column shift if you felt the need, as well as a lockout since youd have the up/down motion un-used...i ran the van around as pretty much a daily for a good year or 2 like that before finding the cables and such...which...btw is all the same parts from a sweptside pickup...in fact the whole dash is so if you come across a sweptside with the chrome bezzle guage cluster its a direct bolt in and "caps" the guage cluster in place of the stamped steel, im trying to remember for certain but i "think" he auto shifter chrome cap is different for the van as it has a V bottom, but...were talkin a long time ago since i was hunting for that stuff..hell you can actualy pull all of this stuff off alot of the 70s dodge framed motorhomes....hell i have a spare shifter assy and cables from a 76 MH i gutted
  9. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    ive had and have a pile of mopars, my first loves afterall, lots of a-body fish(13 or so), a dart, a couple c-bodys, 2 b bodys(early 60's) and a PILE of trucks 64-80 the a-108 and an 80 tradesman..stil got the 108, a couple sweptsides my gen1 rc and a couple fish

on a 4x swap, i spent some SERIOUS time calculating to the point of even grabbing the parts

so heres the deal, youll have to put a good deal of lift on it, think 6 inches that wheel house is TINY, to get even a remotely reasonable tire under it without it smacking something...remember these vans basicly have ZERO front wheel well opening and thats your butt those tires are trying to go up into, that said, youll end up with more clearance, also with the trans and engine "hung" from the top basicly it opens you up to easily mounting a t-case, now..i wanted to go married unit as its what i happened across, but, knowing what i know now, id go divorced as then you can move it back, gain better front line angles and with a divorced unit you can then make it fit between 2 of the floor cross members thus mounting it HIGHER tha the trans for more clearance, the rears a no brainer..its an 8 3/4, for front id run the axle offf a ramcharger, the non locking hub unit from the early ones, as far as springs go, if memory still serves me any dodge truck springs ill work, but may tweak your shackle angle slightly which is no biggy, the big challange becomes mounting up a t-case shifter, to which i looked at going cables ran off a stock shifter mounted to the t-case, then you just need a lever action up front for it simplifying the whole thing, the biggest hurdle is the steering, youll need power not power assist, so that leaves 1 option you need the box off of a motorhome
  10. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    these will brighten your day 1 way or another

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    bwalsh, Roqon and Richarde1605 like this.
  11. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    The inlets on the radiators are in different places and I was under the impression the V8 radiator was a bit larger. I know I can rig up some odd ball radiator hoses to make it work but I'd rather have the correct radiator. If nothing else I there are a few companies making aftermarket aluminum radiators that look nice.
    As far as I know I can swap in a V8 to the bell housing and trans I have right now without any adapter plate or spacer. "If" I were to swap in an auto I'd most likely install something like a Hurst cable shifter like I had in my 64 Dodge Polara 440, that was used in place of the push buttons on the dash.
    A popular power steering mod people are doing to these vans is installing a Prius electric power steering unit onto the steering column.
    As far as actually converting to 4X4, if that ever comes to fruition, it's a long ways into the future.
  12. sh0rtlife

sh0rtlife Long timer

Oddometer:
    huh a prius unit eh, i wonder how well it would handle larger tires

the stock "dash" shifter is basicly a mini hurst/b&m unit with cable, i should still have the template i cut from a wrecked van for cutting out the OE hole for it

on the rad as best i could ever tell they were the same unit with a different inlet config, upper is easy, since mopar used 2 different style hoses for the top one for left one for right..the lower if the one i cant remember off the top of my head, but i do know that ma also made a water pump with the outlet on the other side...was weirded out when i found one covering the timing marks that wernt there
  13. Shady Pass David

Shady Pass David Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like rodent teeth marks on that hose to me.....Grrr..They cause so much damage in the blink of an eye..