1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Resurecting my, no longer abanoned, retired and rusty old relic.

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by bwalsh, Jun 28, 2019.

1. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not enough likes for this. This thread gave me a major flashback to my first land surveying adventures. My uncle had a survey van pretty much just like that we called the Green Dragon. His partner (business not - well you know) had an old Econoline I worked out of. I love those old cab over vans. They will always remind me of surveying as a kid and teenager.
  2. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice van!

I've found a place that has all the rocker panels, step plates, rear corners and I think, lower door skins. So the outside should be fairly simple. The inside isn't too bad. I may have to fabricate a bit on two pieces of the floor where they overlap.
    I've struck out looking for any kind of A pillar replacements(so far) so I may have to rebuild them by hand. I'm not looking forward to that. I also don't want to buy a parts van and chop off the pillars.
    Smidty likes this.
  3. thumpism

thumpism Between bikes

Oddometer:
    bwalsh and Amphib like this.
  4. Solaros1

Solaros1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I worked for Bob Rhinehart in Atlanta on the early 1970's. He had a 1966 blue Econoline with the big 240 six cylinder and his partner had the A100 Dodge. That Econoline was amazing, I think we only got it stuck twice which considering where we took it was unbelievable. Another guy I knew had an old Chevy with a roof rack rigged out as a camper. A friend of mine and I were camped on the beach in Mazatlan in October of 1974 and looked up to see a familiar looking white Chevy van pulling in to the campsite across from us. These things can really get around.
    bwalsh and Grreatdog like this.
  5. baloneyskin daddy

baloneyskin daddy bikaholic Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine was a 3 on the tree and in the winter ,snow would pack up under the fr end and the gas and clutch pedals would stick to the floor, I had a bent clothing hanger that hung off my dash that I would hook under the pedals and pull on to unstick them.
  6. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know it could be a lot worse than it is. If I can't find prefab pillars, they are going to be a challenge to fabricate from scratch...at least for me.

I stick welded a bit back in 72, in shop class. I wasn't too bad but I realize this is going to be a lot more involved with thinner steel and a different type of welding. I've been reading up and watching videos of body work with hammers and dollies and mig welding technique for welding in panels. I also bought a Millermatic 211 mig welder.

I'm actually looking forward to the welding part!
    Hannda, Team Vegas, Nailhead and 4 others like this.
  7. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I believe the reason we couldn't break the Econoline or even wear out the clutch was the 170 motor. It would haul anything we carried. But it didn't make enough power to break anything. The three on the tree with a nearly vertical wheel made second gear fun. That surveyor used it for twelve years. That's a nice run for a survey truck.
    bwalsh, Hannda and JimVonBaden like this.
  8. SafetyThird

SafetyThird Pist-n-broke

Oddometer:
    Someone, somewhere, has one they're hacking up.

Buy their pillars.
    Hannda, MikeyT, Cbody and 3 others like this.
  9. baloneyskin daddy

baloneyskin daddy bikaholic Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a little 110 Hobart mig welder that's perfect for thin metal. I've repaired a shitload of exhaust systems. Had to get a big argon bottle because the little ones don't last. Hell, I can almost make stuff out of just built up weld.
    Hannda and bwalsh like this.
  10. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    The first place I worked had a 1973 4x4 International Travelall. Then he bought a 1967 4x4 travelall. The 73 was a beast! The 67 was cool as hell!
    Nailhead and Grreatdog like this.
  11. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been keeping an eye out...
    SafetyThird likes this.
  13. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Eastwood 110 for me.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Works great on sheet metal, and OK up to 1/4".
    bwalsh likes this.
  14. thumpism

thumpism Between bikes

Oddometer:
    No phone number in the ad but the seller's name is Dane Cathell. You might have to join FB to reach the seller by responding to the ad, or perhaps one of our FB-friendly inmates can inquire for you.
    bwalsh likes this.
  15. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    A name search turned up nothing.
    I just did something I said I'd never do...join facebook...again. It's such a PITA as I have to send a request to join(see) the marketplace. My account lasted about 15 minutes then I gave it the axe. The first account I made lasted about two weeks.
    KLRKowboy likes this.
  16. Nailhead

Nailhead Inclusion Rider

Oddometer:
    You got that right, especially the last part. :baldy
    bwalsh and SafetyThird like this.
  17. small_e_900

small_e_900 Amanda carried it

Oddometer:
    You should have made a cruise control like I had on my VW van, a rock with a piece of rope attached to it.
    Goggles Paisano likes this.
  18. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice! Now I know why they called it a slant six.

Tell me the PO has a link to this thread.

Jamie
    bwalsh and Hannda like this.
  19. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought the 211 due to the fact it can be used with 120 or 240 volts, it has manual and auto settings, I can attach a spool gun to weld aluminum with it, it came with a nice Miller mask and Tillman gloves...and it was on sale, $393 off list, with a $200 Miller rebate on top of the sale price! Oh, and I got a free Tee shirt! :D

https://www.weldersupply.com/P/535/Millermatic211Auto-SetSm

That's the same price minus the rebate...
    I did replace the cheap ground clamp with a much better one from the local welding supply company. These photos were taken the evening I put the cart together.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    The leaning tower of power! They angled the engine so it would fit under the low hoods of old Darts, Lancers and Valiants. And...

"The Chrysler Slant-Six engine was a clean-sheet design, led by Willem Weertman, later Chrysler's chief engine designer.[1] Its characteristic 30° inclination of cylinder block gives it a lower height overall engine package. This 30° inclination had already been used by Mercedes-Benz in their 300SL sports car with L6 engine since 1952. This enabled vehicle stylists to lower hoodlines, and also made room for the water pump to be mounted with a lateral offset, significantly shortening the engine's overall length. The slanted cylinder block also provides space in the vehicle's engine bay for intake and exhaust manifolds with runners of longer and more nearly equal length compared to the rake- or log-style manifolds typical of other inline engines. The #1 and #6 intake runners are of approximately equal length, the #2 and #5 equal but shorter, and the #3 and #4 equal and shortest. This has the effect of broadening the torque curve for better performance. The Slant-6 manifold configuration gives relatively even distribution of fuel mixture to all cylinders, and presents less flow restriction. This, in turn, provides for relatively good airflow through the engine despite the intake and exhaust ports being on the same side of the head rather than in a crossflow arrangement."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_Slant-6_engine

The PO doesn't have a link to this thread but a mirror thread on Vintage Vans(VV).

http://vintage-vans.forumotion.com/t58279-new-dodge-a-108-owner

I guess I should give him a link here as I think this thread will be busier and more informative than the one on VV.
    Nailhead and Jamie Z like this.