Resurecting my, no longer abanoned, retired and rusty old relic.

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by bwalsh, Jun 28, 2019.

1. thumpism

thumpism Between bikes

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure we told him how to find it. I certainly hope he looked it up; I know he'd be tickled to see all the fuss he created with his generosity. He, by the way, has a '41 Buick that he bought only because he could not pass it up.
    bwalsh likes this.
  2. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Alright, I've put off posting for way too long. I haven't made much progress.

Last episode saw me asking a bunch of questions about the brake system.
    Looking back, trying to salvage some(any) of the existing brake system was wishful thinking on my part. A couple of the brake shoes that looked good, upon closer inspection had some small linear cracks in them. You can see one in the shiny part of this shoe...

[​IMG]

So I replaced the entire brake system from the master cylinder to the drums except some steel hardware I cleaned with the wire wheel on my bench grinder.

Starting with bench bleeding the MC...

[​IMG]

This next photo was taken while installing the MC. The MC is under the drivers right foot, next the the engine dog house. It's a PITA to fill without getting any crud in it. The green above the MC if the floor. The small oval hole above it is where you fill it.
    New hand formed Nicopp lines, hardware, safety switches and proportioning valve...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

New Nicopp fuel line. All new rubber grommets on the frame ribs. I had to buy a bag of 100 to get the 10 I needed...

[​IMG]

More to come...
  3. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    All four new brake drums were 3.5 lbs heavier then the ones that were on the van. Example...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    I start installing all the new parts on the brakes. Oh yeah, I also replaced all of the front spindle bearings, lug bolts/nuts with slightly longer ones and switched to all right hand threads. Front left...

[​IMG]

I used some black Rust-Oleum paint I had lying around on the drums.

[​IMG]

Left rear...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up, E brake cables.
    It took awhile to get the correct E brake parts. I found a company in California who carries the complete set. I had to specify which wheel base I had. When the parts came and I started comparing with the old parts, I found they had sent the wrong length intermediate cable. Plus, one end of it was made incorrectly and would not fit.

So I called them. They told me they had a guy who makes them as they're ordered. By their account, he'd lost the information on cable lengths. They simply gave me the intermediate cable for a short wheel base. The one they sent would have fit, length wise. The hardware wouldn't.

So I sent them photos...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hoping that would get me exactly what I should be getting.
    That was strike one.

A week and a half later... the new one was the correct length but still had the wrong end :bluduh

[​IMG]

Strike two...Your done...

I had enough of their shenanigans, called them and said I'm sending all of it back.

So I take a drive up to White Post Restorations to have a talk with the owner. If any of you ever get over this way, try to time it when the owner gives tours of the shops.

https://whitepost.com/#hometop

The owner of White Post gives me the name of a guy up in Lebanon PA., George Martin who owns George brake cables, specializing in break cables, power steering hoses and brake spring kits. He makes any cables for White Post.
    I give him a call and make plans to drive up there. I get up there at 9AM when he opens. He works out of a building behind his house. He's not out back so I knock on the front door of the house. I guess I woke him up.
    Turns out he's retired, does this for extra change and make E brake cables for some cool cars!
    Anyway, I was on my way home before 10AM.

The next week I go to install them. The retaining clips in the ends of the rear lines(what holds them firmly to the backing plate) wont go thru enough to "clip" in. One of the front ends of those same lines had a lead ball that slips into the bracket that keeps it in the bracket. One wouldn't fit in the bracket...
    I call him and see what he wants me to do. I offer to drive up(shouldn't have done that) and he says to bring them up the next morning.

I get up there and all he does is snip a 1/16th-1/8" off the three clip ends. Hell, if I'd known that's all he was going to do, I'd have done that myself. I still had to file them down a bit to get there. NO pics because all that are installed are the rears. The front cable goes thru the ratchet mechanism that bolts onto the front piece of the engine dog house. That is off at the present time.

More to come...
    Hannda, DaFoole, Nailhead and 5 others like this.
  4. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    I actually installed the brakes before the lines. Lets see, what else I can remember I've done to the van...
    I also purchased a new fuel tank. so the entire fuel system will be new the next time I start the engine. It's sitting in the box, in the living room.
    Oh yeah, I added some water jacket cleaner to get out any funky crap that may be in the water system.

When I drained the cleaner I decided to pull the thermostat housing, fan, water pump, timing chain cover and oil pan. First, I had to remove the last part of the dog house, where the radiator is bolted. Since I was removing the radiator, I decided to take it up to a radiator shop in Winchester VA for them to check out. Turns out it had two minor leaks that they patched. He told me that could very well be the original radiator...or one from that time period. It's sitting in the living room too. Looks like a new one!

Pulling the thermostat housing. Think they used enough Permatex?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Looks pretty cruddy still. Notice the elongated pieces, one down in the head and one right at the lower part of the T housing flange...

[​IMG]

I spoke with a machinist about these. He said they had something to do with the casting of the head and they were no big deal. Learn something new every day!

Pulled the water pump and everything looked OK. Then I pulled the timing chain cover...

[​IMG]

I know that's the original timing chain! This is built up paraffin based oil. Most likely Quaker State. That old crap oil did a great job of gunking up an engine...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That stuff is all thru the engine. Then I pulled the oil pan. This was in the bottom of the pan...

[​IMG]

It's old oil that's turned into a sandy, granulated consistency. When I looked at the oil pickup tube it was packed with that crap. That stuff will never turn back into a liquid and flush out.
    I took a flat head screwdriver and scooped it out of the pick up. Now I wish I'd hooked up a oil pressure gauge when I was running it, flushing the water jacket. But it ran smooth for almost an hour. There's a lot more of that stuff in the engine that will find it's way to the oil pan/pickup. Looking up inside the block at the cam. Not a real pretty sight...

[​IMG]

The oil pump/distributor gear is driven by the camshaft..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At this point I went up the street a mile to a local machine shop and asked for a ballpark figure for getting some engine work. I should probably take the engine up to him and let him rebuild but I'm low on funds at the moment. So, I'm going to button the engine back up and use it around the driveway/garage, just to have it mobile.

Earlier today a buddy stopped by. I roped him into helping me bleed the brakes. Yes, I just got around to bleeding the new brake system today...but hey, I've got brakes now!
    One thing I noticed while bleeding...the bracket the MC attaches to, flexes with each press on the pedal. not much but enough to where I want to do something about it. I'll most likely beef that bracket up when I get around to the welding on the body.

When I reinstall the radiator, I'll finish installing the E brake.

I think that brings everything up to date!

Baby steps...
    phreakingeek, Hannda, DaFoole and 7 others like this.
  5. thumpism

thumpism Between bikes

Oddometer:
    Coincidence! I also was under a van in the driveway today, but not the Dodge.
    Nailhead likes this.
  6. SafetyThird

SafetyThird Pist-n-broke

Oddometer:
  7. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
  8. SafetyThird

SafetyThird Pist-n-broke

Oddometer:
    I do, but.....if you're late I'll probably take your thumbs.

You want cash or a cheque?
    bwalsh likes this.
  9. thumpism

thumpism Between bikes

Oddometer:
    I like that swing down bed platform. File that idea away for my own highroof build.
    [​IMG]
    Dirtleg likes this.
  10. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    I found a donor van 2.5 miles from the house!

[​IMG]

I'd stopped in there last summer and left a card asking to call if they ever got any of these in. I guess he forgot. I'd better revisit all the junk yards in the region again! I was there today looking for a trunk hinge(which I found) for my VW TDI.

There are a lot of small parts I'm going to grab off it. Door latches(and hardware). With this latch I'll have a working drivers door!

[​IMG]

I'll grab door locks, ignition(has the key in it) and some of the body parts that will replace the rusted out ones, like these windshield pillars and roof/side panel seam.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The inside is filthy and looks like it went thru a hurricane. I may grab the dash even though it's for a automatic. Mine has some weird crack on the bottom near the steering column. The bracket that attaches the column to the dash is all half assed on mine. I have no idea how that happened.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The front floor it toast due to the rubber mat collecting moisture underneath. I'm not sure about the rear floor yet as I can't find it! I'm going to sift thru all that crap in the back. There's also about five bags worth of concrete scattered about the rear. I'm sure there are a few parts mixed in with all that garbage. I saw the lower part of the battery box. I already grabbed the bar that holds the engine dog house up. Automatic radiator, maybe the grill(but it's not in as good of shape as mine), bumpers, badging, etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There's one good turn signal lens, one good rear tail light, a stock seat in there that's usable(I think). At least it's in better shape then both of mine.

[​IMG]

It looks like the last year it was on the road was 1981 in Pennsylvania...

[​IMG]
    marret, keepshoveling, Hannda and 6 others like this.
  11. thumpism

thumpism Between bikes

Oddometer:
    Nice find! I know you're glad it turned up.
    bwalsh likes this.
  12. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I'm sad to say I walked past it twice and didn't even notice it. My excuse, I was intently looking for a Jetta and he hadn't said anything about the van when I brought it up earlier. I'm glad he remembered it was there! We had already passed it again on the way out before he said anything. :doh
  13. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    cool not many of them in junk yards any more but then again I ve seen shit show up that never should ever end up there .
    bwalsh likes this.
  14. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    I contacted many junk yards last summer, this one included, looking for parts vans. They all said they don't get these in any more. I asked if they did, to call. He must have forgotten.

The stars just aligned on this one as I almost went to another junk yard that had the hinge, first.
  15. thumpism

thumpism Between bikes

Oddometer:
    You should go anyway. No telling how many derelict A108s might be sprinkled around the area.
  16. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    I drove past there on my way to and from New Market today(Crazy Fox Coffee run!) but I had to get back and do some prep work for parts removal in the next day or two.
    I'll get by there soon, and also hit up other junk yards in the region.

If you see any more sitting around...:D
  17. Hannda

Hannda Short, fat, bearded, old & slow

Oddometer:
    Even if I had the skills, I don't, I don't have even 5% of the required patience. Looking forward to watching your project move forward.
  18. MrBob

MrBob Undecided. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did you keep the hydraulic brake light system?
  19. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    The safety switches? Yes! Before...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I need to tweak some of those brake lines to get rid of the high spots. I made them a little too long. This Nickle/Copper brake line is freaking cool to use, all bent by hand! I was left with about 1.25' of line when I was done, including the MC bleeder lines I made.
    greenohawk69, Stretch67 and MrBob like this.
  20. MrBob

MrBob Undecided. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I replaced my hydraulic switch with a mechanical switch.