1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Resurecting my, no longer abanoned, retired and rusty old relic.

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by bwalsh, Jun 28, 2019.

1. SafetyThird

SafetyThird Pist-n-broke

Oddometer:
    Nice find.

You know how to replace the old body panels with the new ones properly?
  2. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    If I knew what I was doing I probably wouldn't be doing it!

Do you mean replacing something like this drivers side rocker panel?

[​IMG]

http://autobodyspecialt.com/lh-1964-1970-dodge-van-a100-pickup-side-rocker-panel/

I've been reading a lot(and watching youtube) on the subject lately but if you have any tips I'm all ears. :ear

I like the Trev's blog videos. This is a good, albeit long, video on making custom body panels.

Hammer time!

phreakingeek and vtwin like this.
  3. SafetyThird

SafetyThird Pist-n-broke

Oddometer:
    Rivet or tack weld your replacement panel over the old one. Ideally in multiple places so it won't move. Mark your cut with tape, and using the thinnest cutoff wheel you can find, cut through both panels at once. When they fall off, separate them and the new one will fit exactly where the old one was.

Don't forget to breathe.
  4. vtwin

vtwin Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer:
    You can probably use Clecos, or sheet metal screws.
    scot_douglas, SafetyThird and bwalsh like this.
  5. SafetyThird

SafetyThird Pist-n-broke

Oddometer:
    I just put a few holes in the panel and use the welder. I figure I'll have the grinder and welder out anyway.

And I can never find my screwdrivers.
    Nailhead and vtwin like this.
  6. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is there a twelve step program for something like this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Found this one yesterday at the junkyard I've been picking parts for the 67. It was one of the employees vehicles.
    It's a 1978 Dodge B200 Tradesman Maxivan, 360, 727 Auto. Probabaly a 8 3/4 rear, I haven't got that far yet. It's in incredibly good shape! It runs fairly well(needs the carb cleaned, oil change and a tuneup), is currently on the road and has a January 2021 inspection sticker. I needed a hauler sooner than later and I couldn't pass on the price he offered it to me for! It's damn near exactly what I've been looking for!
    No, this one wasn't free.

Now the 67 has some company...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    c1skout, tony the tiger, Uke and 13 others like this.
  7. Road Rash

Road Rash Infamous Supporter

Oddometer:

There is.....................................but yer not there yet :D
  8. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Oh Cool. I was worried there for a bit!

I just decoded the VIN number. It does have a 360 and up to a 10,000 lb GVW! It sure would be nice to discover it had a sure grip rear too...

I just discovered a 78 200 tradesman some guy is parting out in the local sale rag.
    Road Rash likes this.
  9. High Hope

High Hope World's Best Dog Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Serious question, are you married and if so what does your wife think about the two vans in the driveway?

Back when I was dragging old piles home I had a wooden floored barn to hide them in. At one time I had an inop Austin Healey 100-6, Alfa GTV6 (inop most of the time,) a 911 Targa, 1150 Adventure, inop 90/6, and a 650XL. My then wife didn't ever really go in the barn much and I was able to switch out cars and bikes w little interference. It was the perfect set up. :D
    bonneville53, waybill, pnhd65 and 2 others like this.
  10. Dirt survivor

Dirt survivor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I suppose I could put in a picture of myself :jack
    bwalsh likes this.
  11. Liko

Liko Noncommittal at best

Oddometer:
    Back in high school I had a part time job delivering parts to customers in a van like that. Really long and hollow. I didn't like not having side windows on the barn doors as that made backing out of diagonal parking iffy. Everything else about that van was fine. That's an excellent find. Good for you.
    bwalsh likes this.
  12. vtwin

vtwin Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer:
    I used to work for a delivery company that had two shorty Chevy Vans. One, like the ops, only had windows on the back doors. A real bear to back into traffic. Good thing it had a slider I could leave open while backing up, then close when I got out of traffic. I was lucky and got to use the shorty window van with the V8.
    bwalsh and Liko like this.
  13. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not married. :D
    The 78 is tagged, runs good and is road legal. Just needs the carb cleaned, tuneup and oil change, then I'll be driving it. I drove it home. The 67 is going in the garage soon so there will only be two vehicles outside.
    I've been looking for an older, road ready van for a long time. I have a bunch of household items I need to move(and keep dry) and this one will fit the bill.
    High Hope likes this.
  14. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was thinking of getting personalized plates saying "MAXI PAD". I'm not sure that would fly with the DMV and I bet I'd be getting strange looks. :D
    I called the guy parting out his van. It has no windows in the back(like my very first van/79 Chevy 3/4 ton). I wouldn't have preferred windows in the side doors(for the camper aspect) and barn doors in the back but I'm not going to loose any sleep over it.
  15. Liko

Liko Noncommittal at best

Oddometer:
    Should the backing into traffic issue become something to deal with a back up camera would be helpful. Personally I prefer the windows on the side door (s) but that also messes with my OCD issue. Barn doors in the back would be terrific but Dodge went with that big swing out door. Fortunately for you that swing out door is what keeps them soft on the market.

Looking forward to your "I Put A Waterbed In My Van" built out thread.
    bwalsh and greenohawk69 like this.
  16. thumpism

thumpism Between bikes

Oddometer:
    You do realize you're getting kinda far afield with this van collection? We thought you were sticking with A108s.

This from the guy who owns a minivan, a B350 ex-wheelchair highroof and a VW camper. Do as I say, not as I do.

Real question: I see your new one has the spare inside. Is there a provision for underbody spare storage? I'm hoping to find such a setup for my big '94 Dodge so the spare does not intrude on the camping interior.

Real comment: Go to a Dodge dealer and give them the VIN and they'll print you out a build sheet with all the specs. That's a very nice looking old van. Good find. The guy who bought my old XV920, @bk brkr baker, rolled up in one just like it when he came to fetch the bike.

I drove one that size when I was a tour group leader for Vermont Bicycle Touring. They had a fleet and that was my intro to the bigass van. FullSizeRender (57).jpg
    bwalsh likes this.
  17. thumpism

thumpism Between bikes

Oddometer:
    You could claim that it's a MaxiVan that is going to be your new camping vehicle, hence the name. They might buy it. It could still get yanked later if someone complains about it.

https://jalopnik.com/virginia-dmv-revokes-worlds-greatest-license-plate-5724684

[​IMG]
    Uke, tony the tiger, Dirtleg and 6 others like this.
  18. Nailhead

Nailhead Inclusion Rider

Oddometer:
    You got a serious problem, man.

I love it.
    bwalsh likes this.
  19. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    It shouldn't be an issue. I've driven a lot of different types of large vehicles many times with poor side and rearward visibility.
  20. MrBob

MrBob Cisgendered Supporter

Oddometer:
    He could sell those plates on Ebay for like a zillion dollars.
    dlearl476 and bwalsh like this.