1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Resurecting my, no longer abanoned, retired and rusty old relic.

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by bwalsh, Jun 28, 2019.

1. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    This really came out of left field. I blame it on the seller. Just because I asked if it was for sale doesn't mean he had to sell it to me. :D

The spare is supposed to bolt to the wall along the passenger side behind the rear wheel well. The bracket is torn out. I believe there is enough space to place it under the rear. Good idea!

I love the Powder Blue paint along with the White! After I give it a tune up I'm going to buff the paint with polishing compound.

I went to NAPA today and there was a new employee who waited on me. He has been looking for an old van for some time too. I told him about the part out van. The owner told me all it needed was a water pump. He's in his 70's and isn't going to use the van any more. He's just looking for a little money. This guy is going to contact him. Hopefully that van will get put back on the road instead of being parted out.

I think I'll drive the van to the dealership in town and get printouts for both vans. Another great idea!

I've always thought about owning one of these behemoths. Now I've got one.
    Nailhead likes this.
  2. Nailhead

Nailhead Inclusion Rider

Oddometer:
    Best license plate I ever saw.
    Uke likes this.
  3. vtwin

vtwin Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer:
    You can always mount the spare on the back door like a Bizibody. I bought a 1972 B200 shorty Dodge with barn doors and windows only on the doors. Manual steering, 318 auto. Former Army van. A buddy used to go to all the auctions for trucks and vans and made a living flipping them, this was one of them. Ran really well and got low 20s on our trip to Vancouver and Victoria. We fitted the spare outside and added the cup holder kit to the dog house. It was really good van. Sold it a few years later and replaced it with a 1978 Plymouth Voyager window van with the big back door . It wasn't as good as the 72 though. It was replaced by a 1986 Plymouth Voyager mini van when we had kids. Way gutless with the 2.6L
    bwalsh likes this.
  4. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    I had a bumper/radiator support style mounted to the front bumper on my old 79 Chevy 2wd van. It looked similar to this one but it bolted directly to the front bumper and had two metal straps on top that you bolted to the radiator support. It worked well and I think it would be better in the front instead of loading up the rear of the van or door with more weight.
    [​IMG]
    I think I still may have it in the garage but I think I got rid of it a few years back.

Gonna go check on that right now!
  5. Liko

Liko Noncommittal at best

Oddometer:
    If I remember correctly (that's a sizable IF) there is a kit to mount the spare under, mid body on the driver's side of the vehicle. I believe that I saw this on a couple of show vans. But, that was the 70's man and you can believe that I don't remember too much from those days, ya dig?

As for buying this thing to begin with ... you're the victim here and I want to be sensitive to that. So grab some avocado toast, the best you can find, and tell yourself it's from me.
    Nailhead and bwalsh like this.
  6. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    I dig it man! :D

I'll tell ya, I really don't want to mount it under the van unless I have to. As big as this thing is, I think I'd be perfectly happy with it where it was originally. I've been thinking of leaving the back 3'(+/-) alone, for storage/supplies/etc. When I figure out a plan with the interior I'll know which way to go.

That old bumper mount would be the hot ticket...
    But I didn't find it. :cry I've been kicking that thing around since 1984. I seem to remember pilfering parts off of it but I can't imagine tossing it out... What the hell did I do with it! :hmmmmm
  7. Liko

Liko Noncommittal at best

Oddometer:
    A swing away mount would be nifty.

A thought ... you may want to bring a floor jack with you. The weight of that thing may stress a small bottle jack and there's no lifting that with a bumper jack. I kept a floor jack with us when we were RV'ing around the US. I had spares for the truck and trailer and a jack that could lift any axle. I also carried a compressor so you kinda get the picture on what I think is important. BTW, we used that jack, compressor kit several times but only once for ourselves ...

So, have you source'd the van waterbed yet? This is going to my favorite part of the build ... well, that and the Aztec Warrior Mural on the side.
    Goggles Paisano and bwalsh like this.
  8. thumpism

thumpism Between bikes

Oddometer:
    Mine is also missing the jack and I plan to put my money here, a surplus Hummer (H1, not the knockoff Hummer) scissors jack with the Agile Offroad axle adaptor. The jack has the weight rating and a large base plate and the adaptor can be set to lift the curve of the axle or a flat surface. Probably $150-200 total.

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/forums/f22/hummer-scissor-jack-25653.html

[​IMG]
    bwalsh likes this.
  9. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got a floor jack that I used in my old vans. This will be my fourth...and fifth van I will have camped out of.
    The first I never outfitted, just threw a thermarest and army mummy bag on the floor.
    The second(4x4) had been customized by the original owner to take to shows.
    The third one I customized. It's bed platform was 2x4's and 3/4" hardwood Birch plywood with maple rope trim on the edges, stained. The bed itself was a nice thick futon I had custom made at a shop in Falls Church Virginia. It was a bit larger than a queen size mattress in both directions.
    I had them make it foldable in two directions. I could fold it down and under about 2' back from the front of the bed and up and over halfway back. When I had more than two passengers I could fold that piece under and it would expose the platform(seat) and both halves acted like a perfectly angled backrest for anyone sitting on the platform.
    The front half of the wooden bed platform(where people sat) also had two large vertical doors that hinged up to access the space underneath. I used a short 2x2 to hold the door(s) up.
    If I had to access the storage space I'd flip the front half of the futon up and over, onto the back half for unobstructed access to the doors.

No mural...Ain't no way in hell I'm messing with that stock paint! Other than fix a few small rust spots.
    But I will probably hang the picture on the wall I had hanging in my last van. :D

Also don't hold you breath on a build. I kind of like looking at the nice clean 43 year old interior!
  10. SafetyThird

SafetyThird Pist-n-broke

Oddometer:
    If it's an 8.75 and it doesn't have one, I have a 3.54 sure-grip third member I'm looking to sell.
    Nailhead and bwalsh like this.
  11. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I'll keep that in mind.
  12. Drumhawk

Drumhawk Lurker

Oddometer:
    You're killing me Smalls!!!

At the ripe age of 16, my mother helps me get the Fun-Liner. A 1969 Dodge van. Turned 70's van conversion by a drummer buddy (we bought it from him). My teen years with a van........THANKS MOM!

Left hand threads on the wheels. Yeah.......had a severe front end wobble at 20mph. Found loose lug nuts! Tightened them up and drove off only to have it happen again. Apparently the shop that put the new tires on pulled the lug bolts through the hubs via WAY too high torque on the rattle gun.

A year or two later I had a full brake job done. All new drums, wheel cylinders etc. Big cost. The sales guy talked me into buying a raffle ticket for his lodge. He called me after 9:00PM, drunk as a skunk and tells me, "you son of a bitch! You won! You god damned son of a bitch". I ask......I won what? Answer was a side of beef! I was an 18 year old bachelor so my folks got the majority of the meat since there was a freezer at their place.

Mine was a 69, I thought it was a B100, not an A100 BUTT my memory could be faulty. I had the 318 V8 and 707 auto trans. The thing was a stump puller. It had a platform bed at the back, rear windows but no side door windows. Shag carpet and velvet curtains throughout. The sound system was always changing and always sounded great.

Thanks for the memories! And yeah......vans kind of get into our system. After the 69, I had an 82 and then a 95 2500 extended roof conversion. All leather and teak. Fancy as fook. The guys my band at the time called it The 747

This is the only pic I could find......

69  Dodge.jpg
    Ghoti, Uke, tony the tiger and 8 others like this.
  13. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stopped by the local dealership yesterday. The person behind the parts counter said their records didn't go back that far...on either van.
    But I think there's not much info they could have given me that I don't already know. These two vans are very basic and simple.
  14. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    I compared online photos to my rear. It looks to be a 8 1/4" rear. It has a ten bolt pan on the back to access the gears.
    I used to own a 64 dodge Polara 440 with 8 3/4 rear. The PO had swapped out the stock 318 with a 440 interceptor engine. When I bought it, it had 489's in the rear. It also came with a set of 323 and 556(?) gears. To make it a daily driver he helped swap the 323's in it.
    Dirtleg likes this.
  15. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    I saw these at the junkyard(JY) the other day. Took some photos today.

[​IMG]

This is the dirtiest one. Brake dust...

[​IMG]

They should clean up nice with some soap, water and Mothers! They're on a ford ranger but I think they'll look good on the 67 with 235/75R15 tires.
    SafetyThird and Nailhead like this.
  16. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well it took more than soap, water and mothers, but I got most of the brake dust grime off. I still need to go back over them once(twice?) more but they turned out nice!

Rubbing compound and polishing compound wasn't making a dent in this grime. I used NAPA Aluminum Brightener on the rims...

[​IMG]

The back of the dirty one in the last post. It had been one of the front rims off the donor truck. The before pic...

[​IMG]

After...

[​IMG]

All the cleaning on all parts was done just using a car washing glove/mitt(that you can see in the first photo, and the one below) and a bit of elbow grease. I'm going to buy a stiff bristle brush and see if I can get some more of the grime off.

The chrome plated center caps were looking kind of rough...

[​IMG]

I was leery of using the NAPA brightener on the plastic but it cut right thru the grime, left them looking like new and didn't affect the plastic.

[​IMG]

I placed two of the tires at the wheel wells just to get an idea what the van will look like when I mount these.

[​IMG]

I think it will look pretty sharp!

[​IMG]

I cleaned the acorn lug nuts up last night. All these shiny things will make the rust stand out even more! :D
    dlearl476, Uke, phreakingeek and 8 others like this.
  17. thumpism

thumpism Between bikes

Oddometer:
    The photos in post #135 do not show up for me. What vehicle did those wheels come off of? Does the A108 have left-hand-threaded lug nuts (seems the right vintage for that) and will the new ones fit?

And I won't say anything about being able to tell if a guy is single because he buys new wheels for a vehicle that's not yet on the road.
  18. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    I assume you're referring to the latest post? I don't see post numbers anymore since the last site update.

I replaced all the lug bolts with right hand threads.

New? :photog I got those from the junk yard. $200 for all four...with chrome acorn lug nuts and usable Toyo tires. I got them before someone else did. I needed some kind of rims anyway. As to why I need them, I'll post a photo later.
  19. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Photos should be up. Those rims came off a small Ford Ranger PU.
  20. thumpism

thumpism Between bikes

Oddometer:
    New-to-you is what I meant. I assumed you got them from a junkyard, which is where most great finds occur.
    bwalsh likes this.