Resurrecting an Italian Supermodel on her 50th Anniversary for the family's 100th birthday party

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by flyingdutchman177, Aug 21, 2021.

1. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Still a supermodel at 50!
    Nice resurrection.
    Post up a sound clip of her moaning...
  2. flyingdutchman177

flyingdutchman177 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I left San Mateo at the crack of noon......3 bottle of wine will have that effect on you. Chris is a sommelier and the guy that got me in to wine 22 years ago. So we always open something nice when we are together.
    Leaving San Mateo involved one hour of freeway riding down the 101.
    As much as I have been raving about this motorcycle riding up the Coast Hwy, it literally sucks on the freeway. It is uncomfortable, vibrates too much and has no wind protection. Plus the brakes sucks so stopping fast in case of some idiot in front of me doing something stupid is out of the question. So it is nerve-wracking and stressful.
    But soon as I got to Gilroy, I turned on to the hwy 25 to Hollister. And once past Hollister, the 25 is about as good as it gets in California. Beautiful 2 laned ribbon on asphalt that turns to single lane on Indian Valley Rd to San Miguel. That is 100 miles of traffic free riding with no services along the way. The bike has proven its reliability to me so I was not apprehensive about taking it solo on the lonely stretch of road..
    20210927_161238.jpg
    Back on the 101 highway at Paso Robles, I spent 2 hours droning down the highway to my destination just north of Santa Barbara. A girl that I had met in Thailand 2 years earlier and following me on Facebook noticed that I was heading south and maybe passing thru. She offered for me to stop by for a visit. I asked if I could spend the night and I got the green light.
    Her family owns 75 acres in the small town of Goleta where they have a ranch growing citrus and avocados. She has her little bit of paradise set up on the property where she lives in an Air Stream trailer with a resort like setting. As crazy as it sounds, I found her set up to be even more amazing that the big Mendo mansion that I had just come from.
    20210928_093453.jpg Screenshot_20210930-113333_Instagram.jpg
    jowul, Utrider1, cappt and 39 others like this.
  3. jays100

jays100 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    To clarify, a farm would grow citrus and avocados while a ranch would raise livestock.
    Milosh, BillUA, #1Fan and 1 other person like this.
  4. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    We discussed this that night.
    We said
    Farm is east coast
    Ranch is west coast.
    Let's say we are both right.
  5. BrockEvan

BrockEvan Brock Warwick Supporter

Oddometer:
    Swagger Stance!

Capture.JPG
  6. third eye

third eye back road loon Supporter

Oddometer:
    ^^^ I'll take that over mendocino any day
    locopny, Cafeguzzi and simmons1 like this.
  7. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    That 'stream is coooooool.
  8. jays100

jays100 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, not so fast. I’m From the middle west and my people would disagree. Indeed, range wars were fought on that very definition.
    Anyway, glad you had a good night on that farm.
    We’d call that a hobby.
    #1Fan likes this.
  9. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    RANCH
    jowul, Foiler, Cloud-9 and 9 others like this.
  10. bigjohnsd

bigjohnsd '14 BMW R1200 GS Adv Supporter

Oddometer:
    I grew up in the Northern Sacramento Valley - there were Rice Ranches and Prune Ranches - I could never figure it out.
    fasttortoise and Trip Hammer like this.
  11. Trip Hammer

Trip Hammer It's not the years, it's the mileage Supporter

Oddometer:
    Same. I grew up on a street called Olive ranch road near Sacramento. Ranches are farms in California for whatever reason.

Carry on Lalo, sorry for the hijack.

I love that stretch of 25 south of Hollister near Pinnacles. The Guzzi looks great on it!
    radmann10 likes this.
  12. Bgunn

Bgunn Posible mañana

Oddometer:
  13. GringoRider

GringoRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Technically they're all Ranchos. A Rancho can have everything, crops and animals because they're like a small town. And the Patron is the owner there is a whole social structure under them. For generations. It's illustrated well on some Mexican telenovelas. But they go back to the land grant days.
  14. GringoRider

GringoRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You're correct it's a Rancho.
    HandCanonShootr and bigjohnsd like this.
  15. bigjohnsd

bigjohnsd '14 BMW R1200 GS Adv Supporter

Oddometer:
    OK, however even though part of his Spanish Land Grant, John Sutter called his last estate a Hock Farm - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sutter_Hock_Farm
  16. jays100

jays100 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    All good, glad you had a good stop at the ranch.
  17. JetJockJim

JetJockJim Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I had many discussions about this with the owner when he named the place. Before he purchased it the land had the "ranch" moniker. I think he may have been influenced by the east coast, and southern farms and beautiful Kentucky horse venues. Perhaps "Farm" may have had a more "elite" sounding ring to it. Despite my razzing him he never said explicitly that's why he named it farm vs ranch - but being that there are a lot high end retired jumpers there - that's my guess. Regardless that's what he named it. One thing that he did which I thought was cool was that the actual name he gave came from a now gone historic 19th century milling town that once resided on the property. Apparently once a colorful place where hard bitten lumber jacks engaged in a Gunsmoke life of saloon fights, Miss Kitty and occasional murder. Old timers say that ghosts from this bygone era still roam the property. So with history like that - keeping the name alive and extending its legacy in pepertuity outweighs any discussion of the relative elitism of "farm" vs ranch. At least in my book.

Ironically however whenever he is talking about it, he always refers to it as a ranch. Ie - he always will say "let's head up to the ranch" it is never "Let's head over to the farm". Out of the thousands of times I have heard him refer to the place, it was never a "farm" and always a "ranch".

Regardless - Ranch or Farm - it sure is a beautiful place!
    jowul, Foiler, roadcapDen and 8 others like this.
  18. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    The truth is, there is no right or wrong. Just opinions.
    I call it a Ranch
    Jay calls it a farm
    We are both right.
    And who cares
    It's only words

But Jim is right, the place is beautiful
    I don't think many people would argue that point
    jowul, Foiler, JRowland and 9 others like this.
  19. jays100

jays100 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No argument from me!
  20. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    The Guzzi and I made it back to Southern California without a major mishap.
    What is remarkable about that was that I bet against it. I bought the AAA tow package so if it broke down, I could tow it for 200 miles. But in the end, I never needed it.
    I have had this bike for 16 years. It was always a good runner. I cleaned out the gas tank and carbs. I changed the fluids. And that is all I did.
    The clutch would stick in gear but with a blip or two of the throttle before each shift was all it took to get it free.
    Where this bike really shined was riding in 2nd and 3rd gear twisty roads, like PCH from Cambria to Carmel. It was happy on the long highway stretches heading back but I wasn't. The braking on the bike is fairly poor so riding in traffic through Los Angeles on the 405 was a bit stressful.
    As much as I enjoyed this trip, I am not sure I would do it again. We spent 4 whole days riding up there and 3 days riding back. For me, this is a long way on an old bike. Cambria to Carmel and back in 2 days would have been ideal. Or up the coast to Mendocino. Anything more than a few days is a lot of time and a lot to ask for on an old bike. I still want to get either a Aprilia Tuono or Triumph Triple for these kinds of rides. But I do see us doing a ride like this every year. We all had so much fun doing together. And these guys (and gal) are the best.
    Rad's bike was also very much unproven. It sat in a garage for 15 years. And all he did was change the oil and clean the fuel injectors. Jim's bike was a 5000 mile original bike that looked like it just rolled off the showroom floor. But 45 year old parts are bound to break, even with only 5000 miles on the clock. All of us were on old tires. We didn't push things too far or hard. Rad had a big slide on his Honda. I watched it from behind as I was pushing him in my Guzzi as he drifted over the yellow line a bit. And Kate, while on a newer old school Triumph Twin, had little riding experience and first time on the rented Triumph. She did remarkably well but I did notice a few mistakes that could have caused her an accident.
    But everything went like clockwork. The motorcycle Gods were on our side. And after what happened to me 3 weeks ago, I needed and hoped this trip to go well and be with friends that supported me.
    The highlights were.....
    Caliente Bodfish Road
    Miracle Hot Springs
    Highway 58 to Paso Robles
    Having wine at Opolo Winery
    Dinner that night with Rad, Jim and Kate at the Mexican Food Restaurant in Cambria and those strong margaritas
    The entire ride up PCH from Cambria to Carmel with no fog and light traffic.
    Skyline Drive, from Santa Cruz to Highway 92
    The ride across the Golden Gate Bridge and then up Highway 1 the entire way to Mendocino.
    Four nights at the Mendo mansion, celebrating with friends, drinking wine and 16 year old scotch.
    Wine tasting with Jim at Roederer Estate winery in Anderson Valley.
    Having french lamb chops with my wine buddy Chris in San Mateo
    Highway 25 south, thru the Pinnicles to Indian Valley Rd.
    Staying the night with my friend in Goleta in her airstream trailer surrounded by avocado trees.
    And of course this photo (below).......reaching the finish line and getting me and the Guzzi back in one piece from where we started.

The idea for this trip spawned while I was working in Alaska on that fishing boat. Like a prisoner, I was dreaming of things to do when I got my freedom back. And this being the 100th anniversary of Moto Guzzi and the 50th anniversary of their most iconic model, the V7 Sport, their first sport bike with this V-twin motor, I knew I had to do something epic. And this ride turned out to be everything that i hoped it would be and more. And all with very little planning and preparation.
    Thanks to Rad, Kate and Jim for helping make this all possible and contributing to this epic ride.
    Screenshot_20210929-153503_Gallery.jpg
    jowul, Utrider1, Foiler and 67 others like this.