Resurrecting an Italian Supermodel on her 50th Anniversary for the family's 100th birthday party

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by flyingdutchman177, Aug 21, 2021.

1. ROAD DAMAGE

ROAD DAMAGE Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I once had an old grizzled bastard tell me: "Riding a Guzzi, is as close as you'll come to having sex with an alien species." :imaposer

In retrospect, that might be one of the funniest things I've ever had anyone say to me. :hmmmmm

So .................................. do you think that he was correct?

RD
    CbRoo22 likes this.
  2. locopny

locopny Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You almost own the perfect number of bikes. That number is equal to 'x' + 1 (where 'x' = the current number owned)

All kidding aside...looking forward to this Italian cougar relationship.
    I imagine she will be more a pavement princess that will enjoy exploring curves together...?
  3. flyingdutchman177

flyingdutchman177 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have never had sex with an alien species. But it comes pretty close to being as good as it was with a certain Hungarian girl.
    Milosh, Foiler, locopny and 4 others like this.
  4. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    If I ever get back to Thailand, I might buy a couple of more bikes.....just because. Some are not obtainable in the US
    Screenshot_20210822-221342_Gallery.jpg
    JHpowderhound, BillUA, Foiler and 7 others like this.
  5. locopny

locopny Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Imagine that has to be a blast to ride. Nimble and lightweight.
  6. mart´n

mart´n Viking

Oddometer:
    In, as usual.
    That Guzzi - sweet Mary motherf she is a pretty - instant love!
  7. Ganjora

Ganjora Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    it's like a bmw but with perky engines.
    in for another edventure!
    flyingdutchman177 likes this.
  8. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    But the Guzzi's sound is beefy and bold. I need to figure out a way to post a video with sound here.
    Milosh, Banksbird, Foiler and 2 others like this.
  9. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    The gas in the tank is 9 years old. It smells really bad. When I put it in storage back in 2012, I wasn't planning to be away from it for that long, so now that old gas has turned to varnish.
    I drained the tank of about one gallon of the stinky liquid and out came a small pile of rust flakes as well. I put some fresh gas in to see if she would start, but no such luck. In fact, it wouldn't even crank over.
    I had a brand new Antigravity Lithium battery installed too with 370 cranking lamps. If anyone knows Guzzis, they use a Bosch starter motor that comes from a car so a huge battery is required to start the beast. Those giant lead acid batteries probably weigh 30 pounds. The Antigravity lithium battery weighs less than 3 pounds and has more cranking amps.
    This bike is so easy to work on fortunately. Everything is out in the open. I tested the starter motor and it works fine, but I found the solenoid was the problem. I ordered a new one on Amazon and installed it. Now sometimes it works but most of the time the engine still doesnt crank. Turns out I have another issue.....the starter button is not making a good contact. But a screwdriver arcing between the terminals gets it to catch everytime now. I need to get a new starter button.
    But even with the engine cranking over, there was no fire......not even a pop. I sort of figured that would be the case. I was just hoping for a miracle. I pulled the big pumper carbs off, took them apart and let them soak in an ultrasonic cleaner for an hour. Assembled everything back together and she started. It was the first time I heard that gloriously sound in 9 years......time to go for a ride.
    20210820_150926.jpg
  10. Zubb

Zubb he went that-a-way... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't know how "they" do it.
    My old Ducati ST2 had it, along with the accompanying clankity-clank of the dry clutch. But the Guzzi a friend loaned me for a 4 day trip to monument valley . . . .wow!
    The noise is everything that a motorcycle is supposed to sound like. Everything else is just something else. So much so that even if my 1200 GSA sounded like a Goose it would be too little, too late. The image of the transversely mounted V twin and "that sound" are welded together permanently in the annals of our minds and the halls of Moto history.
    Milosh and flyingdutchman177 like this.
  11. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Try some electrical cleaning spray in/around the starter button.
    You can also take it apart to clean it but watch out for all the tiny bits!
    Sproing...
  12. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    The lack of an intake filter is making me anxious.
    ROAD DAMAGE likes this.
  13. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    The switch seems to be unservicable. Screwdriver is working fine. Just annoying when it stalls when the light turns green, cars are honking and I am fumbling for that screwdriver

Yeah, I have that on my list of things to do. But oooooh the sound!
  14. 531blackbanshee

531blackbanshee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Xicor, bmac and flyingdutchman177 like this.
  15. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Don't stall it...you need to keep her purring with a fine but steady hand...salut.
  16. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    You've still got the best story telling and the best pictures on ADVrider! I'm already hooked into your new Guzzi thread and later looking forward to Mongolia and Russia tales in particular! :-)
    fasttortoise likes this.
  17. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    It is kind of scary riding a motorcycle that had not moved under it's own power for the past 9 years. Will it strand me along side the road. Will it blow up. Will a wheel fall off.
    I took it up and down the road a few times keeping it close to home. I came back, drained the old oil and put some synthetic oil in. And then I set off on a longer ride. Everything seemed to be working good until I noticed that the revs weren't dropping quickly when I shut off the throttle. I would pull the clutch in and the revs would stick around 4000 rpms and then slowly fall to idle. That was not good because it acted like a cruise control and the bike didn't slow down when I rolled off the gas. If I wacked the throttle open and shut it immediately then the revs would drop to idle speed.
    Because there are no air cleaners on the bike yet, I was able to stick my finger inside the carbs. I could feel the left carb slide was hanging up slightly and then after a few seconds it would fall the additional couple or millimeters it needed for idle speed. But what was causing the carb slide to stick. I brought the bike back to my shop and throughly cleaned the slide so it was perfectly clean. But it seemed more like a throttle cable was sticking slightly even though the cables are like new. I took the bike back out and it seemed fine at first but almost in the identical spot, after about 4 miles on the road, it started to hold up again. I continued to ride it as I wanted to be sure there were no other issues being careful not to have the throttle stick open while entering a corner.
    And then the bike stopped running and coasted to a stop. It felt very much like the bike ran out of gas. I am assuming that rust was clogging up the peacock and the float bowls ran dry. After a couple of minutes, the bike started again and ran for a while before coasting to a stop again. And of course it stopped at the worst place possible, like at a green light. It was embarrassing to have to push the bike thru the intersection.
    So I was able to make it back without having to push it 5 miles. But I have 2 issues to deal with.....
    One , clean the tank out better
    And two, why is the left carb sticking, mostly only after a few miles of riding.
    But a bigger question I am asking myself is why am I doing this. It is scary riding a bike that will probably let me down , especially on a ride that might be over 1000 miles.
    Am I doing the right thing? Do I need this sort of challenge in my life?
    What do you think?
    20210821_174953.jpg
    The bike is so sexy though. Reminds me of Andrea.......beautiful but obviously is going to make trouble for me
  18. ki_ote

ki_ote Cindi Jo Admirer

Oddometer:
    The dried seals would worry me. She's too pretty to tear up.
    Getting busy in Thailand is always a better plan.
    flyingdutchman177 likes this.
  19. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Since you asked.... Your adventures are already full of continuous challenges as far as routes and places to stay are concerned. You are very often out in the middle of nowhere with limited opportunities to seek help if you really need it.

Do you really want to limit your options on which path to take because you are worried about the bike stranding you somewhere? Would you be willing to take the Guzzi down some of the gnarliest crap you were willing to take the BMW on?

The other challenge you face is riding a very rare bike and if it would fail would you even be able to find parts to fix it? If Rad was with you on the trip it might make it an easier call as between the two of you there is a good chance you would find a way to continue on but riding alone would leave you with a lot less options if a serious problem would arise.

I know what I would do but I would not have done 10% of the stuff you have already done.
  20. #1Fan

#1Fan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ed, I think you can get this bike fixed and make the US run! Will it be a hassle? Probably, but damn, look at that bike!