Resurrecting an Italian Supermodel on her 50th Anniversary for the family's 100th birthday party

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by flyingdutchman177, Aug 21, 2021.

1. outbackjackdk

outbackjackdk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The bike is so sexy though. Reminds me of Andrea.......beautiful but obviously is going to make trouble for me[/QUOTE]

Remind me again which one was Andrea? I try not to remember their names so I won´t get attached to them:D
  2. choppahead

choppahead Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Meet fellow inmate, Nick Adams. He may be able to answer some of your questions.

3. flyingdutchman177

flyingdutchman177 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If that is the case, I should increase my prices.......to combat inflation of course :-)

Thailand, and Chiang Mai in particular, is not really open to tourism yet. There are some costs involved getting there, visa issues plus a 14 day quarantine. I am hoping things change in October

Most likely, JetJockJim will join me on his 1975 BMW R90S in that faded burnt Orange color. I am hoping to get some other people of vintage bikes and moto Guzzi's to join in as well.
    And all will be on pavement.....no taking this baby off road......remember no air filters
    Foiler, GringoRider, Cloud-9 and 5 others like this.
  4. Ol Man

Ol Man Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Of course you will fix it and the edventure will be awesome.
    garfey, #1Fan and flyingdutchman177 like this.
  5. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Remind me again which one was Andrea? I try not to remember their names so I won´t get attached to them:D[/QUOTE]

I shouldn't have picked on Andrea, the Mexican heart breaker. All my ex GFs have been beautiful but trouble.
  6. jays100

jays100 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think she’ll call you after another 3 months.
    radmann10 and flyingdutchman177 like this.
  7. Scribe

Scribe £Bob£

Oddometer:
    Yes, you really need to do this because all of us couch jockeys need to be entertained and enlightened. Dammit man, think of the people!
    Foiler, GringoRider, WilVis and 4 others like this.
  8. third eye

third eye back road loon Supporter

Oddometer:
    clean out the tank and install an in line fuel filter. make that bike live again
    locopny and #1Fan like this.
  9. borderlinebob

borderlinebob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    CANADA-100 ft N of International Falls, MN
    Ed, I can assure you that, when the old girl decides to take a break….
    Simply post on your report (and simultaneously start new thread)
    hollering “I need help” and likely within 15 minutes you will begin getting replies from the inmates here.
    Unlike you who’s usually riding,— several, well— a lot, — maybe even “many” of us obsessively check this site numerous times a day. So your call for help will get heard.

I sure am looking forward to a new Edventure.:killen
    Foiler, garfey, poppawheelie and 3 others like this.
  10. cappt

cappt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Remove tank and fill with apple cider vinegar, let sit 3-4 days, rinse out and marvel at shinny clean tank.
    The sound of this bike is mesmerizing, like a radial airplane engine.
    Contrarian likes this.
  11. GotDammitDave

GotDammitDave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    YES!! You should take this bike! Just take the time to get it reliable enough first. Whats the point in owning a motorcycle if you dont take it out every now and then for a good ride?
  12. jays100

jays100 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    An Italian supermodel? And she’s been neglected 9 years? No wonder she’s cranky! It’s amazing she’s still speaking to you and didn’t run away with some better looking stranger, like me, for instance. I know how to treat a woman!
  13. poppawheelie

poppawheelie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Dried seals. I've had very good luck with a product called CD2, an oil additive. Yeah, yeah, I know that's not the right way to fix it, but it's worked for me. I added it to an old Jeep that left puddles on my garage floor. Ran it for another year with barely a drop of oil coming out. Also used it in a Boss Hoss 350, seeping oil from all the gaskets. Didn't want to tear into that. CD2 all but stopped the seeping. That thing ran hot too. CD2 is hard to find, may be out of production. I put a stock on my shelves when it started to be hard to get.
    radmann10, GotDammitDave and ki_ote like this.
  14. BarryB

BarryB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    CD-2 available on Amazon.
    poppawheelie likes this.
  15. Cafeguzzi

Cafeguzzi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    August seem to be a bad month for Bosch starters.
    yesterday the solenoid on my 1970 Moto Guzzi Ambasssdor gave up and left me almost stranded but i managed to push start it.
    ordered immediately a new one from EME.
  16. Manifold

Manifold Long timer

Oddometer:
    I stored a Le Mans for several years.

Drained the tank and carbs beforehand and put some oil in the bores. Disconnected the battery

When I came back it needed the following:

Tires
    Battery
    Carb rebuild
    All fluids changing
    Fuse contacts cleaning
    Front shocks rebuild and replace rear shocks
    Cables oiling
    All the linkages etc cleaning and regreasing
    Some bulbs failed
    Switchgear

Worth giving it to a good Guzzi guy to sort out unless you can do it all yourself.
    It will leave you stranded or worse if you don't
    Enjoy the ride, that's a beautiful and valuable bike
    Scoozi and 1Man2Wheels like this.
  17. Blader54

Blader54 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ed, look at the folks who do the Cannonball on their absolutely ancient bikes! Our own inmate among them, with nary a support staff. You can look at it a couple of different ways: maybe the journey will be the adventure rather than the event you're going to, and you experience some issues with the bike, or maybe there won't be any issues. Even if the bike is running perfectly at mile 0 it's still possible to have a mechanical or electrical issue crop up later on. But really, the 100th anniversary of the marque; the 50th for this model; and you have one of the first 150 to roll off the assembly line? As you say, the years are rolling by, and the whiskers are getting gray. Perhaps this double-anniversary is the only shot you'll ever have to attend with your magnificent Guzzi? I haven't read every word you've posted on ADV for nothing. You'll go for it.
    CbRoo22, Foiler and simmons1 like this.
  18. fasttortoise

fasttortoise Smartest Idiot Here

Oddometer:
    LEGEND! Excited for this report
  19. advrockrider

advrockrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Add a fuel filter as stated above and maybe a gasket kit for the carbs and roll with it! I have better memories and met more people when my junk broke down in some off beat place, then I have ever met when nothing went wrong.. You have a lot of followers, you wont be stuck for long!
    GotDammitDave likes this.
  20. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I met Jet Jock Jim about 15 years ago. He was a client of mine on one of my Baja tours. I have had maybe 3000 clients in the past, but JJJ is one of the few guys that I hit it off with and stay in touch with.
    He is in to old bikes, but like a lot of people including me, don't find the time to use them.
    Taking my own advice, we both need to start enjoying life while we have our health and make the time to use these bikes that we keep putting off for "someday".
    So here is Jim's bike that he plans to ride
    A very original 1975 BMW R90S.
    I have ridden it before and it is every bit as cool as my Guzzi......ok, maybe 95% as cool. It just doesnt have the sound track the Guzzi has.
    Screenshot_20210827-205107_Messenger.jpg
    Anybody else have a cool older bike and want to join in on the fun?