Resurrecting an Italian Supermodel on her 50th Anniversary for the family's 100th birthday party

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by flyingdutchman177, Aug 21, 2021.

1. MZRider

MZRider Neo-Luddite

Oddometer:
    There is no "Sport" in the modern V7 Line, and never was. For 2021 there's only the Stone, Special and Centenario. Closest might be a "Racer".
    flyingdutchman177 likes this.
  2. MZRider

MZRider Neo-Luddite

Oddometer:
    I don't see an idle mixture screw, is there one?
  3. flyingdutchman177

flyingdutchman177 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    After the bike has been run for about 4 miles, sometimes the bike will stay at about 4000 rpms. I can stick my finger in the left side carb and actually feel the slide close the last couple of millimeters very slowly. I am not sure why I doesnt close quickly and snap shut with the spring. But if I whack the throttle open and close it quickly, then the bike will most of the time return to idle . If I am running the bike at 4000 or 5000 rpms, then close the throttle then the idle stays high for about 3 to 5 seconds before returning to normal idle speed.
    That seems to be the issue
    Foiler likes this.
  4. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Yes there is
    I have them turned out about 2 1/2 turns
  5. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Jesus ...... Moto Guzzi's marketing department should be canned. They totally dropped the ball. And how about at least a 50th anniversary model?
    Send me the royalty checks please
    Foiler and #1Fan like this.
  6. Gack

Gack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm assuming the slide is hesitating with the cable attached to the slide. Remove the cable. Hang the cable up with a baggie full of oil. Make a hole in the baggie just big enough for the cable housing. Zip tie the baggie around the housing so it's tight. Let the oil run through overnight.
  7. NoelJ

NoelJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Those MityVac brake bleeder vacuum pumps can suck oil right through a cable with a little set-up time first.
    bigjohnsd and flyingdutchman177 like this.
  8. IDWPUNK

IDWPUNK ¡IDAbogado!

Oddometer:
    If the carb is clean, my next step would be to replace the throttle cable. In my limited experience a sticky throttle=time for a new cable. While you are at it, make sure the cable is properly routed. Good luck! Excited to read about your next adventure!
  9. BarryB

BarryB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Does the high idle go away after you have ridden longer than the 4 min problem area? I have no ideas if everything returns to normal after it is fully warmed up. if you can see into the carb bore, and there is no hesitation on the slide dropping back to the bottom when it is cold, I would look again when the 4 min hesitation happens. Just pull over and turn the engine off and check it. Then I would go ride it and be sure the carb is as warm as it will get under normal riding and check it again. I would also be sure that the excess oil running down the throttle cable is not winding up on the bore the slide moves in. A few drops of oil on the throttle cable goes along way.
  10. radmann10

radmann10 Old fart Supporter

Oddometer:
    Go for it they are very unique for sure!
  11. radmann10

Oddometer:
    IMG_5800.JPG

Maybe try one of these...
    Foiler and flyingdutchman177 like this.
  12. radmann10

Oddometer:
    Would a V9 work? Does it have to be a V7? No one would know, mine has a V7 Tank and seat so a look a like bike lol...
    IMG_5462.JPG
    Foiler and #1Fan like this.
  13. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    I've always had a quiet admiration of Moto Guzzis. I recall riding the Pacific Coast Highway in California in 1980 on a brand new CBX when I encountered a matching pair or 850 Le Mans in screaming red. They left an impression to be sure - one remembered to this day.

Going back more recently, why is there nothing like this in the current offering?

1997-Moto-Guzzi-Sport-1100-R-Side.jpg
    BillUA, twowings, dedecaster and 3 others like this.
  14. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Join us.
    I need to contact the Moto Guzzi club and see if I can get more bikes on this ride.

As far as the sticking slide situation, I need to try all those good recommendations and i will report back
    radmann10, Foiler and #1Fan like this.
  15. radmann10

Oddometer:
    When are you heading out, and in which direction will you be going?
  16. OdyBandit

OdyBandit Long timer

Oddometer:
    I’ve got two friends who are heading out west on Moto Guzzi Stelvios sometime soon. I told them about the ride and they will try and work it in but not sure. They were not even aware of it.
  17. simpleguy

simpleguy n00b

Oddometer:
    Ed, I've been following your adventures for a while. Thanks for all you share. Finally created an account so I could pitch in here.

Here's a couple more ideas if the throttle cable isn't the culprit for the high idle on your bike:

High idle is generally caused by too lean of a fuel/air mixture. (Not enough gas).

If the gas tank isn't vented properly, it could cause high idle after a few miles when it starts to draw a vacuum and prevent fuel from flowing to the carb.

A plugged petcock or fuel filter could also do the same thing. Bike runs great while you use up the fuel below the restriction, but once you use that up it starts to starve.
    BarryB and #1Fan like this.
  18. gperkins

gperkins graeme

Oddometer:
    I'm not too sure if I fully understand the issues you are having. But the following I do know.

Someone in the past has messed with the carbs. They are not original for your bike. V7 Sports of that era were fitted with Delorto VHB 30's. The carb's you have there were fitted to later Mk 1, 2 & 3 LeMans' and others. The pumper FPH 36's that you have fitted were notoriously heavy at the twist grip. This heavy action was reduced a number of ways. I see one way has already been applied to your bike. That is to fit round flat tops to the carbs, the type fitted to early and mid 70's Ducati's, rather than the Guzzi style which had an inverted V on the top of the Delorto's. I'm going to guess that these carbs came off of a Ducati, although conversion kits are reasonably readily available. I've done the conversion on my Mk1.

The other method a lot of riders do to lighten the action, is to either fit lighter springs atop of the slides or cut their original springs shorter. Both result in a lighter action at the twist grip. But and it's a big but, it can also result in the syptoms that you are describing. In a worst case scenario the bike will not slow or drop revs when you are giving it some. The air velocity passing through the carb will hold the carb open. Not good!

If everything else seems as normal. That is the cables and twist grip and slide are free and and in normal working condition. Then I'd suspect that you have incorrect springs fitted.

Oh one final point. The normal twist action on these carbs has a long throw at the twist grip. A shorter twist action is achieved by fitting a Tomaselli quick action twist grip. Which a lot of early LeMans' have fitted, including my Mk1. Fitting the quick action Tomaselli will only exacerbate the heavy feel of the carbs. Further tempting owners to lighten the slide springs. All part of the joy of riding these Italian classics. :D

Oh you have a number of good Guzzi parts suppliers in the USA. MG cycle and Harpers to name but two. But I'm guessing you already know that. Enjoy that V7, I know I would.
  19. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Well, it looks like this ride will now be RADICAL.......
    My brother from another mother, Rad, will be shipping his own classic bike out from Texas to ride with me.
    What is interesting about Rad's bike is that it is Honda's take on a Moto Guzzi. And that bike is of course the Honda CX500.......Turbo!
    It has a transverse mounted V-twin like the Guzzi but cylinders at 80 degrees instead of 90 and shaft drive. But his bike has a 4 valve motor, Fuel Injection (a first for a Honda) and of course a turbo!
    This is going to be another Radical Edventure (with Jet Jock Jim or course)
    We need to come up with a name for this trio.
    Screenshot_20210831-073909_WhatsApp.jpg Screenshot_20210831-074000_WhatsApp.jpg
  20. jays100

jays100 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was a test rider at Honda R&D in Torrance for that bike. loved it, warts and all!