Resurrecting an Italian Supermodel on her 50th Anniversary for the family's 100th birthday party

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by flyingdutchman177, Aug 21, 2021.

1. jays100

jays100 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Re carby’s sticking.
    Some folks remove the accelerator pump as the plunger can hang up on the slide ramp causing a similar issue. Could be sharp edges or, could also be a fueldraulic issue with a clogged hole.
    Something to look at.
    flyingdutchman177 likes this.
  2. bigjohnsd

bigjohnsd '14 BMW R1200 GS Adv Supporter

Oddometer:
    How would one prevent an off idle bog from insufficient fuel if one removed the accelerator pump?
  3. jays100

jays100 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How? Adroit throttle control. Other makes have done without accelerator pumps for years.
  4. bigjohnsd

bigjohnsd '14 BMW R1200 GS Adv Supporter

Oddometer:
    Works great until you are in extremis and need a quick handful of throttle, cough sputter......
  5. Cafeguzzi

Cafeguzzi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i'd try to get original VHB30 carbs. there always some floating around on eBay, you might even find new ones. and spare parts, jets, needles, etc., are easy to come by.
    once set and dialed in you don't have to worry anymore. you even can fit them with the lightest springs and they won't get stuck.
  6. tag3

tag3 Doofus

Oddometer:
    Inland from the coast of Santa Cruz and Trona.
    I'd clean the ones on there and see what transpires.
  7. LoydDobbler

LoydDobbler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm no tech help for you, but I certainly appreciate reading your ride reports. Keep them coming, por favor.
    Golden955 likes this.
  8. Cafeguzzi

Cafeguzzi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    the PHF 36 are way too big. they are goof for 1000cc engines, IMO.
    the original ones are 30's, quite a different size.
  9. flyingdutchman177

flyingdutchman177 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The motor has some performance mods. And before I parked the bike for 10 years, it didn't have the sticking problem.
    Foiler and jays100 like this.
  10. Manifold

Manifold Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pay a good Guzzi guy a few bucks and get it sorted. Page 6 and we're stuck in the shed :lol3
    Visen and ScotsFire like this.
  11. locopny

locopny Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It's all part of the adventure...um Edventure...
    More realistic...IMHO. Much closer to how my trips transpire anyway.
  12. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    With carbs off do the slides/pistons move freely without hanging up? Carb clear to "polish" the insides and the slides/pistons themselves.
    Could be gunk build-up...
    Be gentle with her!
  13. CharlestonADV

CharlestonADV I do my own stunts. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Guzzis are fairly reliable until someone "improves" them.
    GotDammitDave likes this.
  14. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    Rad's bike has arrived
    I took his 1982 Honda CX500 Turbo for a ride. First thing I noticed is it is pretty heavy. Second thing i noticed was its Buck Rogers wacky 1980s styling. There are so many things that catch your eye, like the 3 pieces gold wheels, the full fairing, the scooter like handlebars and the integrated turn signals.
    I never have driven a turbo bike so I was excited to see how it performs. I let it warm up a bit and didn't use a lot if throttle and revs. My first impression was it was a pretty slow and heavy scooter. But then with more gas and revs.....wholly mother of sweet jesus, it turns in to Buck Roger's space rocket. Riding this bike is the definitive of Turbo Lag.
    I have to say this is one fun bike......especially when that turbo kicks in........whoooosh!
    20210915_154938.jpg
  15. flyingdutchman177

Oddometer:
    I have been quite busy this week dealing with some unexpected shit in my life, but life goes on, owing to the fact that I am still alive.
    I had a chance to take the Guzzi out twice this week. I have put 50 to 60 miles on it. The carb slide sticking issue has completely gone away (so far). I cleaned out the gas tank, flushing it with gasoline and shaking it around with 250 pennies inside to scrape away at the rust scale. All seems to be working, although it seemed to have developed a fuel delivery issue yesterday while going down a long fast straight away. It felt like it was running out of gas and started to slow. But once I got in the twisties again, it ran fine. It has a screen in the tank petcock. I need to check it out today.
    One bigger issue I am having with the Guzzi is the clutch......it seems to be sticking.
    Here's what it is doing.
    Say i am riding along in 3rd gear. As i approach a stop sign, i pull in the clutch but it is still some what engaged. I can feel the engine still pushing the bike along at idle speed. As the bike slows, and it is still in 3rd gear, the revs will start to drop because it is acting like I still have the clutch out and it starts to chug to a stop. But most of the time, the clutch sticking is over come by the engine torque trying to drive the bike faster than the relative speed. And just before the bike comes to a stop, the engine will over power the driven plate of the clutch and the bike goes in to idle as normal. So what I have been doing to avoid the bike from potentially stalling at each stop light, is to pull the clutch in as I am coming to a stop and give it a couple of quick revs. At first I can feel the bike want to lurch forward (again the clutch lever is in) but then it breaks free and the clutch seems to unstick and it goes in to neutral. Also it seems to be worse when the engine warms up.
    I am thinking there is some corrosion on the clutch plate or disk that is causing it to stick like this. Hoping it will go away with time and use.......like the sticking carb slide.
    Any feedback?
    I think the Guzzi has a dry clutch, similar to a car. Maybe with one plate or 2. Comment if you have any suggestions and you are familiar with these bikes.

Rad flies in tomorrow. I hear he is bringing 50 kilos with him. But said 50 kilos will not be carried on his bike.
    The plot thickens
    Blind Mule, Foiler, Cloud-9 and 11 others like this.
  16. #1Fan

#1Fan Long timer

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear you are okay, Ed. And also glad to hear this ride is still a go. :super

Quick question about Rad's bike, if it is okay. I noticed on the previous photo of his bike the left hand exhaust pipe seems to be a fake exhaust as it looked like it did not have an exhaust hole at the end of the pipe. Is this the case?
  17. jays100

jays100 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The 500 turbo was overshadowed by the 650, so If you’re gonna get one, that would be it. A very different bike and much more rare. So imagine heeled over in a turn, hard, and boost happens. Pucker moments! When we were testing the 500Turbo, Honda commissioned a 1000 Turbo from Russ Collins. It had close to 180 hp with stock suspension tires and wheels. At Willow Springs, the 500 had a faster lap time but was 30 mph slower on the back straight. The 1000 was insane.

re clutch sticking, I got nothing.
  18. OdyBandit

OdyBandit Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are some tips in the airhead forum down in the bike section. Just search for “sticky clutch”. Involves bump starting on a hill or rear wheel braking with clutch engaged. I’m assuming a Guzzi would be similar.
  19. Ol Man

Ol Man Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry to hear about the car, but I am afraid in our state, the guy is going to get off easy. He should be up for attempted murder, but who knows. Hope that your bike issues get resolved and another great trip will be had by you and Rad........and us, your faithful followers.
    advrockrider likes this.
  20. bjor1978

bjor1978 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good to see you and Rad back. Hope your mechanical, and other, issues are resolved swiftly. Welcome to trade transverse v-twins if you hit the NE :rofl
    20200202_141937.jpg
    mumu37 and #1Fan like this.