1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Resurrecting an R75/5 - A Short Story

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by crazydrummerdude, Jun 30, 2020.

1. crazydrummerdude

crazydrummerdude Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer:
    The other day, my friend tagged me in the comment section of his other friends Instagram post. The other guy just picked up a barn find /5. I'll steal a few pictures to help tell the story.

Screenshot_20200630-205315_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20200630-205348_Instagram.jpg

Screenshot_20200630-205434_Instagram.jpg

Indeed, a lovely candidate. So, since the guy was fairly local to me, I offered to come over and get it started for him. In the mean time, I messaged some tips and facts.

Before I visited, he removed the petcocks to find that neither had their tubes, which is quite odd. When I got there, I did a timing check, valve adjustment, carb rebuild (they were nasty!), fuel line and air filter replacement, and an oil change with filter. This filter was stuck tight and it came out in a couple pieces. I hadn't seen that before.

20200621_120525.jpg

20200621_121625.jpg

I noticed that his bike has a nearly identical broken Luftmeister side stand as my R60/6. He got a replacement stock stand with a few other parts from the previous owner. I also found that the petcock screens were still stuck up inside the tank, so I pulled them out. The tank itself looks decent on the outside (except for a dent), but the inside is the worst I've ever seen on a BMW. It miiight be saved with liberal shaking of nuts and bolts inside. (He's in the market if anyone has a good tank for sale.) The previous owner told him that he had the tank boiled out and coated, but I think they forgot the coating step because it was pure heavy chunky rust. So, when the time came, he fashioned a gas tank out of a Mountain Dew bottle and held it upside down while I worked the starter.

20200621_140300.jpg

It started almost immediately and settled into a nice (cold) idle. Mission accomplished. I then explained a little about changing the other fluids and cables, and let that be an exercise for him when he gets the gear oil and parts. His plan is to keep the fairing on just long enough to ride it in this configuration back to the previous owner to show off a little. I will sleep better whenever that fugly barn door is removed from a beautiful /5.

Anyways, that's my story. Maybe he will find this thread and update it.. or I will whenever I see him next.

Oh, and I accidentally bought his '69 Beetle in the background and hauled it home.

Screenshot_20200630-211726_Instagram.jpg
  2. Donkey Hotey

Donkey Hotey De Jo Momma

Oddometer:
  3. Texer

Texer Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lord, that Beetle.
  4. crazydrummerdude

Oddometer:
  5. Donkey Hotey

Donkey Hotey De Jo Momma

Oddometer:
    You should put an r100 engine in that thing. Really pep it up! Get even for that VMW sitting in your garage.
    Lornce likes this.
  6. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    Nice Beetle.

An R75/5 is worth the effort to keep stock.
    sprouty115 likes this.
  7. Donkey Hotey

Donkey Hotey De Jo Momma

Oddometer:
    No, I meant the Beetle. An R100 engine would be sweet in that thing.

Screw it. Make it a real sleeper. Mate an 1150 to it. An oilhead already has the big alternator and the belt drive. CDD has the tools and mad skillz.

The 1150 makes more power and would last longer than any VW engine of that era and it would tie it in with his BMW stuff. :lol3
  8. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    I saw a beetle get a Harley Knuckle Head in the early '60's.
    Donkey Hotey likes this.
  9. tlub

tlub Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Do the bearings- wheels, steering head and swingarm- to keep him from killing himself or ruining a set of decent wheels. Or both.
  10. kantuckid

kantuckid Long timer

Oddometer:
    vw-barn or field
  11. Chad M

Chad M 14880

Oddometer:
    That's gotta be a barn find, too much accumulation to have sat in a field for any length of time.
    crazydrummerdude likes this.
  12. Cordless

Cordless Two Wheel Addict Supporter

Oddometer:
    You clearly haven’t seen my barn:

upload_2020-7-2_12-10-6.jpeg
    Cogswell, bodine003 and PaulBarton like this.
  13. Chad M

Chad M 14880

Oddometer:
    Haha, that thing hasn’t been “found” since it was in the showroom in very early 1973. Sweet machine!
  14. r60man

r60man Long timer

Oddometer:
    I find this confusing. I have owned a 1972 "Super Beetle" and while no speed demon, it did OK. I had a buddy with a dead stock beetle that dropped a valve 3 days before he was due to leave for college. We dropped the engine, put on junk yard head, cylinder and piston on it. He got another 105K miles out of it before the body simply disintegrated due to salty roads.

If you knew how to take care of them Bugs were incredibly reliable and never left you stranded.
    Cogswell likes this.
  15. crazydrummerdude

Oddometer:
    That donkey is a friend and is just BSing since I have a barn find BMW motorcycle with a VW engine, so he's flipping the scenario.
  16. r60man

r60man Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ah, and "inside joke" thanks for letting me know.
  17. Beemeup

Beemeup 1978 R100/7

Oddometer:
    Right before I bought my beemer in '78 my apartment neighbor had a friend with a beemer powered by a VW engine. He worked hard to sell it to me but ... a: I wasn't interested. And b: He wanted the price of the new beemer, $4,400. Plus, I traded in my KZ1000.
  18. Texer

Texer Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I remember when an older friend ((he 18, me 16) bought a VW for 30.00 and drove it it from Mose Lake WA to Moscow ID to get back to school after visiting his girl friend. He sat on an apple box (seat was missing) all the way.
    aptbldr and Lornce like this.
  19. Pokie

Pokie Just plain Pokie.

Oddometer:
    Well, at least he had storage under the seat!
    Texer and PaulBarton like this.
  20. aptbldr

aptbldr easy rider

Oddometer:
    No back seat cushion in my '62.
    Provided easy access to remove its six-volt battery and carry it with me into class during Hoosier winters.
    My VW days laid the foundations of my airhead days.
    photorider likes this.