Retired and Riding (Now in Mexico)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by danisOTR, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    I disagree vehemently with the assertion by Severely , et al , that one should be putting filthy used toilet paper in the waste basket , be it in Mexico in San Antonio Texas or in Miami Florida ,Hollywood CA .,Newark NJ ....Yes in places in the USA it is so bad that even when no basket is provided these dumb practitioners will simply throw their gross wipes on the floor in the corner of the toilet stall.

Yes that practice is migrating to the USA , but it has nothing to do with sewer systems being incapable of handling wet used toilet paper.
    It is a result of transposition of an outdated and wrong belief by poor migrants from the back corners of Mexico and Central America and Somalia probably , where they were not educated about flush toilets .

If the sewers were going to plug up due to wet disintegrated toilet paper then would you not also recommend that we take the strainer ladle from the churro maker and remove the fecal material before flushing ???!
    A dry , constipated turd is far more probable to be the cause of a blocked toilet than is the minor sludge of the wetted toilet paper.

Yes indeed one should never flush down the toilet newsprint , magazine pages , wet wipes , feminine sanitary napkins , potato chip bags , worn out socks or corn husks , cardboard TP roll cores ,dead cats etc etc etc . These have all been employed for wiping by the poor people who never had flush toilets .These items do indeed cause pipe blockages , as discovered quickly by many of the people who tried that when they first encountered the flush toilet .
    Only ignorants and vandals would flush pop bottles , paper cups and beer cans Jamming a full roll of toilet paper into the bowl outlet will indeed plug it but that is vandalism .( same for dead cats)

But classing actual toilet tissue used as intended as being a cause of blockages is just plain wrong .

The practice of putting toilet paper in the waste basket ( la cesta) is an outcome of ignorance perpetuated .

Do you know what happens to the basket of waste toilet paper?
    Usually it will wind up in the big garbage can which gets hauled out the front door, often through the dining room , no lid , into the breeze to be hoisted to the top of an open garbage truck and in the process part of the dump will wind up getting carried away , across the street , perhaps onto your table as you are sitting enjoying the drinks and observing Mexican culture from a shady terrace .
    At a few small old country hotels I have seen them dump the " cesta" contents on a pile in the back corner of their lot and set it on fire , while again various pieces are whipped around by the wind and transported to other properties .

Merida has a functional sewage system which is capable of handling the slight sludge which is wetted toilet paper.

Any properly hooked up flush toilet with an adequate water supply can handle the toilet paper used after a bowel movement .
    Sure , if a flush toilet has the water turned off and ten or twenty people pee and poop in trhere and add toilet paper it will cause a plugged toilet . ("" see ,toilet paper was the cause of the plug up "" )
    But that is not a fault of the toilet . It is a sign of stupid people .

Stop this nonsense of supporting the ignorant old tale deriving from the time when the abuelos in their ignorance assumed that a flush toilet was the same as a latrine or a cat- hole in the bush and that any sort of wiping material in any amount could be flushed away there.

Don't tell me that the big luxe hotels in Merida notify people to put their filthy stinking toilet paper into the waste basket .

In 40 years of travel through Mexico and CA I have always , EVERY TIME , when using a flush toilet deposited the used toilet paper in with the feces and flushed them away and I have NEVER caused the toilet to plug up or the sewage system to suffer a blockage .Never . Even at the few places which had the silly notion to post a note requesting that the filthy toilet paper be put separately into a basket .
    Stop the lunacy !
    Dirty toilet paper wil not constipate the sewer system !
    ( Belated appology to those who find this post off- topic or offensive , but it does deal with an inescapable facet of travel in Mexico. Best to be informed , it can have a definite impact on health)
    Davidprej and jimdgreat1 like this.
  2. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    So when the staff at a hotel in Mexico ask you not to flush the TP, do you argue with them?
    Grynch and severely like this.
  3. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Never has it happened that a " staff member" at a Mexican hotel has verbally informed me to not flush toilet paper. It has only been an occasional small hotel where a hand written note was taped to the wall .
    If the MANAGEMENT should broach the topic I will get into a serious technical discussion . Such has never yet happened
  4. Lesharoturbo

Lesharoturbo Nerdly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You mistakenly assume that all TP is the same. It is not. Some is designed to dissolve in water along with cleaning your anus. Outside the USA anus cleaning is the priority, dissolution is not.

Not assuming that you have not explored more than I, but I have some plumbing experience in different countries. Even in the USA not all TP is made to dissolve. The cheap stuff WILL clog septic systems. Maybe not properly designed sewers, but poorly designed, possibly.
  5. Vrode

Vrode Long. Standing. Member Supporter

Oddometer:
    Back on topic....

Thanks for the updates! Interesting locale and good info. The stories remind me I will be riding (and retired) soon. Hope the weather and travel gods continue to smile on you!
  6. danisOTR

danisOTR GO BIG OR GO HOME Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks vrode. Please take your debates elsewhere. No one wants to wade through the efficacy of flushing toilet paper in MX.
    Grynch, TaZ9, Ginger Beard and 7 others like this.
  7. danisOTR

Oddometer:
    2/9/2020 Sunday

Merida

We headed out this morning around 9 and took advantage of the continental breakfast at the hotel. After breakfast we headed to Paseo de Montejo.

Every Sunday they block of the north bound lanes of the road and open it up to bicycle, skate boards, tricycles, tandem bikes and almost every conceivable self-propelled wheeled machine.

There are vendors along the street renting bikes, serving ice cream and selling their wares. There are also marching bands and costumed characters. It is like a carnival without the animals and rides.
    ADAED997-8C43-43E5-8EF7-98702019CE73.jpeg 9A47AE01-5E90-46C7-B1CA-A27809E3448F.jpeg 19060B54-D6F3-44BA-9D53-837E138DEA6E.jpeg 9714947E-1374-443B-A214-56CFF0285698.jpeg B4D8FF75-752F-4A90-A3A9-D0459CBE7683.jpeg

Families turn out with their kids and they make a morning of peddling up and down PDM from the base of the boulevard up around a mile where you circle a statue and head back down the other way.

Along the way there are also activities set up for the little ones where they can paint or play with playdoh.
    04F27739-47E6-4C83-A02F-4D6BD6A62B11.jpeg

We were also able to get closer to Monumento Al La Patria as there was no vehicle car traffic. Here is a Google link that explains the significance. http://yucatantoday.com/monumento-a-la-patria/
    D563BCB2-CABC-49ED-817C-5D3C0ED6FCD1.jpeg 5CEEA005-9E5C-4E27-8973-CD8FA2CBF1C5.jpeg F3B9C5DB-595E-4D39-82A9-6E3E7D6C5083.jpeg B3F8CDBD-02A7-4A65-901E-CAB4E73B72CA.jpeg 407A33E7-4C72-4EF3-9A53-03F507F0581F.jpeg C2C90884-DB7C-41E9-8129-272F528BE4EF.jpeg

The rest of the day we laid low due to the heat. We spent the afternoon and evening playing “Hand and Foot” which is a card game with the other guests in the building. We also prepared a simple meal of pasta with meat sauce.

Tomorrow we begin our Spanish Classes.
  8. Vrode

Vrode Long. Standing. Member Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you are going to be there awhile, can you rent bicycles? Or is it easier to walk around?
    Davidprej likes this.
  9. danisOTR

Oddometer:
    Safer to walk. With the exception of Paseo de Montejo streets are narrow with heavy traffic moving most of the day.

We will do the Sunday ride at some point but would go early when it is not quite as hot.
    Davidprej and Vrode like this.
  10. Dayypete

Dayypete Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great trip report. Thank you.
  11. danisOTR

Oddometer:
    No pictures today. Sorry.

We had our first Spanish class today. The instructor spoke for 15 minutes in English then switched to and we were off to the races. Plus we have homework to do.

We stopped at a Taco Restaurant on the way back to our hotel. We’ve passed it more times than I can count. Taco’s are $1.15. So we had a total of 3 and 2 waters. With tip $7.50. And the food was excellent. Cheaper than cooking for ourselves.
    Davidprej likes this.
  12. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you'd be willing to share the cost of the classes, I'd be interested. I've heard of many doing this, but have no idea of the cost. Also, it'd be interesting to hear of your thought process that led you to this particular class. Were there others that were a close second? Did this one 'win' because it was convenient? I am starting Continuing Ed "Survival Spanish" tomorrow in anticipation of a long ride south in 2022. But I might make a dash to a language school in MX in 2021 to advance my Espanol skills (I'm pretty sure that's not grammatically correct) before the big trip. Tks.
  13. danisOTR

Oddometer:
    That is a great group of questions.

Reviews was the first thing I looked at. Sorted by most recent. Also looked at multiple sources

Location although there are several within 10 blocks of where we are. This one luckily is closest.

Cost. We are paying $320 each for a 2 week M-F 4 hour per day course. I’ve seen price $500 and up.

Our biggest mistake was having no knowledge of Spanish. We’ve missed out on so much because we could not communicate well. So whatever you plan on doing do more.

I can only hope that we will learn enough to enhance our travel.
  14. JimsBeemer

JimsBeemer 2017 R1200GSA Supporter

Oddometer:
    Congratulations on signing up for a language course! It will (enhance your travel)! Starting from zero, every little bit you learn has huge dividends. We started with a basic two week immersion course similar to yours, and a year later we see that course as a turning point in our trip. Going back to school isn’t easy . I remember thinking “Homework? They gave me homework!?”

A few months later we did another week (probably should have done two), repeating much of the same material, but it was good to revisit after we had spent a few months trying to use what we had learned.
    knight, Davidprej and roadcapDen like this.
  15. danisOTR

Oddometer:
    Day 2 down. Drinking from a fire hose.
    bigjohnsd and Davidprej like this.
  16. ricksax

ricksax n00b

Oddometer:
    I am truly impressed by your courage, and am enjoying all your posts. Ride safely back! (Sorry about the intrusion of the personal hygiene issues, I wouldn't have done that.) By the way, I have noted that a higher percentage of people speak English in Puerto Vallarta than in Miami.
  17. danisOTR

Oddometer:
    Here in Merida you could get by with English. But until we got here it was a struggle. We know having some Spanish will only enhance our trip.

We have no timeline to return. We will likely be touring Mexico through the end of March and maybe longer. That’s the nice thing about retirement with no time commitments.
    Smidty, Golden955, jimdgreat1 and 3 others like this.
  18. Omar

Omar Muddling thru Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wonderfully descriptive blog. Thoroughly enjoying it. Taking Spanish class was a good idea. It will greatly enhance your trip experience.

Enjoy and be safe.
  19. danisOTR

Oddometer:
    Thanks Omar. That’s the reason for no posts recently. No time to visit thing between classes and studying.

We did go to a Language Exchange where we interacted with locals practicing their English while we tried our Spanish. They won!

IMG_2703.jpg IMG_2704.jpg IMG_2702.jpg

We meet a kindergarten teacher that met us the next day and we played UNO to work on our numbers.

They also do Valentines Day here. A gift from housekeeping.

IMG_2699.jpg
    Smidty, jimdgreat1, dano619 and 3 others like this.
  20. Ignis

Ignis n00b

Oddometer:
    Just caught up with an hour+ of reading. Love it! Cheers, friends!