1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Retired and Riding (Sheltering in Place at Hotel Lakyum Palenque Mexico)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by danisOTR, Jan 13, 2020.

1. danisOTR

danisOTR GO BIG OR GO HOME Supporter

Oddometer:
    2/24/20 Monday

Merida

I was up early today as I wanted to take the brake line of Patti’s bike and bring it to a hydraulics shop so see it they could repair it. This was also advice that I had gotten from one or two inmates.

Tom from Rubber Chicken Racing also sent me an email that he had ordered the parts from Spiegler. He told me he would ship them to me as soon as they arrived at his shop.

It just took a few minutes to remove the brake line. As soon as I finished that I jumped on the GS and rode to the hydraulics shop which was 20 minutes away.

When I arrived, I walked to the counter and asked if anyone spoke English. A young man was summoned from the back. However, he didn’t speak English, he was the poor guy tasked with dealing with the gringo.

In any even after 15 minutes of back and forth we had worked out what I needed. He understood even to the point that he know that the direction of all the fitting had to stay in the position they were currently to fit back on the bike.

I was quoted a price of ~$35 US. The part through BMW would have been $170, if I could even get it. He told me it would be ready Wednesday afternoon. Hopefully it will get is moving again as we wait for the braided lines.

On Saturday when we got up we discovered that the propane tank was empty. This meant we could not use the cooktop and we didn’t have any hot water.

We reported this and sometime during the day the tank was filled and the range worked again. However, there was still not hot water. Hmm.

This followed through until Monday. I had a suspicion that the pilot light was out on the heaters. I went to the desk and the young lady in duty followed me back. She tried the shower and of course got no hot water.

We then went to the roof where the propane tank was. It was full. From there she led me to where the hot water heaters were. I climbed up to check. I clicked the piezo lighter to start the pilots. I noted that the dials controlling the temperature level of the tank was set to “pilot”. What apparently happened is when whomever started the pilot light neglected to turn the dial back up to high. So, the pilot was going but the tank was not firing. I rotated the dials to the appropriate position and both tanks immediately fired. Problem solved.

Today is to be our last day of Spanish lessons. We spent an hour conjugating irregular verbs and re-writing our notes from Friday.

Pictures coming in the next post.
  2. ricksax

ricksax Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I check your progress daily, and I'm glad you're getting the brake line fixed. BTW, trivia relative to the Picasso museum sketches with no facial features. I have a hazy memory from art history classes that those were costume sketches for an opera production, probably Carmen. So that fits with the other sketches.
  3. danisOTR

Oddometer:
    2/26/2020 Wednesday

Merida

We had out last Spanish class on Monday afternoon. It was the best to date and not because it was our last one. I think we need a couple of more weeks of classes. In the interim we will get our notes in order and see what on-line options are available.

Monday night was another spaghetti and meat sauce evening. That has been our go to meal since we met 27 years ago. Not sure that I mentioned that we celebrated on 25th on the 28th of January. In any event it is our comfort food.

Tuesday was a trip to the English Library. We bought a few books to sustain us while we lounge on the beach in Celestun.

From there we went to the opticians to have Patti’s glassed adjusted. We still can’t over how inexpensive they were.

We moseyed back towards El Centro. An inmate had recommended an Italianish place named Amaro. We stepped in to the outdoor courtyard at 12:30 and were their first guest for the day.

A Modelo and a Margarita were ordered while we perused the menu. We were planning on dining here Thursday night, which is the night before we leave Merida. We didn’t want much and agreed on a pizza with sirloin and avocado.

We sipped our drinks and an appetizer was brought to the table. Kind of a like a Mexican version of bruschetta. It was good and held us over until the pizza arrived.

We ordered a small to split. Neither if us were too hungry and we thought that a pizza was all we would need.

The Pizza arrived and I ordered another Modelo. The place was slowly filling up with couples and foursomes. A tour group showed up with 14 people. They had a local guide who worked with the waiter to gather everyone’s order.

2300A2A3-A58C-4A3E-A5BC-59A7EA9C339B.jpeg
    We dispatched out pizza and ordered another round of drinks while we sat and absorbed the atmosphere. There were people from all over around us and several languages were being spoken.

We left Amaro 90 minutes from when we arrived and moved back into the heat.

There was a Mayan artisans exhibit/sale across the street and we stepped into that courtyard. There were excellent examples in all mediums. Pottery, furniture, clothing and textiles. There were numerous pieces we liked. But that’s the advantage of motorcycle travel. You can’t buy stuff. At least that’s an advantage for me.
    54A15917-FCEE-44B8-8852-343A021AED9C.jpeg

F41953D4-5245-457B-8CC5-BEA84AA86020.jpeg 58255A08-4E04-4044-94A7-66D4A02D8BD3.jpeg
    After viewing the exhibit, we moved back north towards our hotel. Just before the hotel we split off and I went to buy some beer. $8.00 for a 12 pack of Modelo. I felt bad for the store owner as I wiped out all of her change by giving her a $500 peso note.

We changed to bathing suits and made our way over to the pool. This guy was watching over things. I think he was eating all the bugs.
    0D6803B4-037A-44E0-867E-D978F8C2987D.jpeg

Cooled off we went back to our room. We decided to play Sequence. We set up the board in the hall opposite our door. In mid game one of the other guests, a young local man walked by and looked down and exclaimed, Sequence. Funny we would not have thought that the game was not just in the US.

We closed out the evening watching Amazon Prime.

On Wednesday we had planned to go to another ruins site and swim in another cenote. We were up early and I checked outside to find the bike blocked in by another guest. We decided to avail ourselves of the free continental breakfast while we waited for the other guests to get moving.

We entered the restaurant and whom I later found out was a team coach was there. I had already written up a query in Google Translate asking if the van was theirs and could they move it.

I showed it to coach for a diving team. He understood and took my phone to craft his response. He informed me that it was the team van and he was not the driver but they were leaving soon. He offered 1000 apologies to which I replied no problem. By the time we were done with breakfast they were gone.

We geared up and both got on the GS. We had chosen to go to Mayapan as it is one of the closest sites to Merida. It was a 50 minute ride the last 20 miles or so on highway. Oddly the site was 100 yards from the highway. We parked and paid our $6.00 admission fee and walked towards the site. Here is a link to Wiki. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayapan

It is the smallest of the three sites we’ve visited. Here you could climb on most of the ruins. We walked clockwise around the site. It was in the high 90’s with full sun and no shade. Photos are below.
    FA3BE77E-FCAD-45FD-81FA-653E96ADA32C.jpeg 120C4279-38F2-483E-868B-0CAA3A1499BF.jpeg DD33DFF8-7D7A-4F41-8007-0BFAF73FC587.jpeg A3401F03-35B1-416E-BF89-A2682EC4AC14.jpeg D4E92EEE-2E31-4F0D-AFEC-3BED163A6BEA.jpeg B06B7AFA-0C38-4073-8D9D-38FF9DBFDFE1.jpeg
    There was one structure which got my attention. It had four entrances as the top. As I walked inside I was taken by the internal structure. It was conical and spread out from the level where we stood to support the top. On a hunch I activated the compass on my phone and discovered that the four entrances coincided with the rose. They each pointed to the major points on the compass.
    5BE830DD-C17A-445A-8C00-0BB30CA7254A.jpeg 61BBD567-010B-46E4-B17C-81715935177A.jpeg EA3C5748-DFF3-4C10-B405-C3A226C4139F.jpeg 8EA357A8-A5F8-4057-A0A4-F0CF870FCFB0.jpeg
    We worked our way to the largest structure noting the hieroglyphics and other reliefs along the base. There were stairways on all four sides each climbing at the same angle. However, one side appeared to be easier and thus safer to climb. We clambered using both hands a feet to keep is steady. As this was the highest point it gave us a commanding view of the whole complex.
    73DA4226-1BF7-486A-BE23-80D007C2C331.jpeg 42F288BA-C48B-4428-B730-67C8EA22E414.jpeg 74F44BF2-87C6-47D6-9750-2B8EDF976905.jpeg 3855789C-71E3-4D01-81E9-F69B8DD70155.jpeg 1A48882A-86D6-4132-BAE5-3B617519BE45.jpeg 2FA1A0D5-A38D-4E00-A0C5-3C1F73DC44F3.jpeg CACA1C66-7206-4F9B-9A9E-AEDCD24507AE.jpeg

After taking in the view we worked ourselves back down the same staircase. We used the side step method and steadied ourselves using an elevated section next to the stairs.

We were at the halfway point by now. But the heat was taking a toll on us. We finished walking around not investigating nearly as much. We were anxious to get back to the bike, shade and water.
    CACA1C66-7206-4F9B-9A9E-AEDCD24507AE.jpeg E6DAE042-ED79-4F80-AEE8-1BA40CE76570.jpeg

We grabbed the two bottles of water we had with us and drank them down. Neither of us were anxious to put our gear back on for the ride to the cenote. We both went to the bathroom and soaked our shirts to wear under our gear. Back to the bike gear put on we headed to our next stop.

As the crow flies the cenote was only 4 miles away. However, it was a 20-minute ride. We worked our way through a couple of villages and over numerous topes. I hate topes. I read that this cenote was down a dirt road. We made it to the dirt road and forged on. After a few turns following handmade signs we found our goal.

Unlike the first cenote we went to this one was really “rustic”. The attendant was laying in a hammock under a thatched roof. There was not another person in site.

I communicated that I wanted to pull up and park the bike and then walk back and pay. He was fine with that and moved the bike up towards the banyo/changing rooms.

Admission was $100 pesos ~$6.00 US. He let us leave our riding gear in the shade of his building. We retrieved my suit and our towels from the bike. I changed and we walked towards the direction of the cenote.

There was another group of three there loading their scuba diving gear back in their car. I struck up a conversation with the leader who was from California but has been living in Merida for 3 years. They had dived into a few caves around the edge of the cenote. No thank you.

We grabbed two life vests and headed towards the edge. There are two sets of stairs. We chose the ones FOR the faint of heart. These stairs were steep and narrow. Steel cables had been affixed to the limestone walls. When we got to the bottom there was a platform also cables to the roof above it.

The water was clear and we could see the 15 or 20 feet to the bottom. We had been warned by the scuba divers that the water was around 75 degrees which was 20 degrees cooler than the air.

I stood standing backwards on the edge of the platform and let myself fall in. Cool but very refreshing. Patti chose to go through the agony of climbing down the ladder.

We had the whole place to ourselves. In the 30 or 40 minutes we were in the water all we hear were birds.

After a while we got to a point of OK! We’re done here. We’ve cooled off. We can only float around here for so long.

We got out and climbed back up to the top. We were again hit by the heat. It was brutal. We carried our stuff back to the bike. I changed out of my bathing suit but left my wet shirt on.

Pictures in next post. Hit my max for this one.

We geared up. I tipped our host for watching our gear and we reversed our course heading back to Merida. We fought through the mid-day traffic and arrived back at the hotel at 2:30.

I still had to go and get the brake line. I also wanted to pick up brake fluid. I had some but wanted to make sure I had enough for all the brake line swapping I’ll be doing over the next few weeks.

I stopped by Autozone and bought a too large bottle of dot 4 brake fluid. From there I went to the hydraulic store.

At the hydraulic store you are supposed to take a number just like at the deli. I took a ticked and I was next to be served. 20 minutes go by….NO NO NO. I’m not going to complain. In 30 minutes I had my the fixed hose and was on my way.

I rode back towards the hotel and made a quick stop to pick up a bottle of tequila. When I got back, I did a quick check and it appears they got all the segments aligned correctly. Tomorrow I’ll do the install.

Dinner was left over meat sauce and pasta. More tomorrow.
    NSFW, ntadvr, roadcapDen and 3 others like this.
  4. danisOTR

Oddometer:
    E2D868C0-ED23-4232-A2ED-A4402B579526.jpeg B15A43A6-B1FF-400F-AC7C-E43F473D8D60.jpeg 09C5F471-DD3B-468B-AE08-5E89656C8006.jpeg 456E2E1D-6925-4864-A6B5-566716B16AA5.jpeg DC538A7F-D6C2-4F0B-AAE7-DF4EF344E83D.jpeg F8E6F7F3-2063-4A41-8D52-4EA10D97EA76.jpeg C055061E-AEAA-4859-A33F-C5E6FB0BDDBD.jpeg 645EDB71-13BB-4F19-9362-2E096969B7F0.jpeg F9BC0E27-83BA-417D-A02E-656F9C10F1E4.jpeg F8417074-943D-40CF-B2C2-7716A5ABEBB1.jpeg 650284CC-7886-4AB9-8615-AA80D1BC7AAA.jpeg D1D1E09A-BEDC-4B5D-A8A8-A7CF753E4F19.jpeg 3EAD9DCC-51C0-4A7A-9E77-B2163A589760.jpeg 6818AD46-8886-41A7-A06A-D6C1191A554E.jpeg 2238A3F6-91E9-4D42-850B-B5599FEB169F.jpeg 4D6BBED5-D7B4-4FF6-90D1-BD9DE4B16021.jpeg 5763CED1-6A55-4C5D-8A46-5D7FFE27BEC1.jpeg 4F2DF9B0-E9AB-4738-A355-EA659963C328.jpeg 89361527-1032-4DF4-96B4-59CB1A773163.jpeg 98E65886-CF37-4732-A19A-CAEE029ACE8D.jpeg 01F9DDF9-DFD1-4861-B65C-AC229CDEF300.jpeg
    NSFW, Drybones, eaglescan and 4 others like this.
  5. danisOTR

Oddometer:
    I mounted the repaired brake line today. I struggled with the cross pipe fitting. The threads were not lining up. I finally got a good twist and that was all set.

I attached the top fitting to the reservoir. All set there.

They added a few MM to the bottom tube. No bueno. It took another 20 minutes to get it on and I had to use a zip tie to keep it away from the wheel.

We bled the brakes. They are stopping but you have to pump the lever. So I did a JVB trick and tied the lever off to the grip. I’ll let it sit for a while and see if that improves the situation.

Comments are welcome.

I also did some JBWeld repairs to some misc issues. None are structural.

Other than that all systems go for our trip.

8A2A1137-A8FF-4ACE-A299-34A6EF6823B5.jpeg AE8A84BD-FF10-41F6-9AF6-A9AE7D9564B2.jpeg 0185B92C-E9AF-4712-9D9C-83D1F54D6C78.jpeg
    NSFW, Drybones, Smidty and 1 other person like this.
  6. Sjoerd Bakker

Sjoerd Bakker Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yaaaayyyy ! The brake line is fixed . The minor extra length is a non-issue . The difficult assemling is just a feature of "character " :D of BMW puzzles . So is the difficulty of bleeding the ABS front calipers not a fault of the hydraulics shop . .I checked my Haines manual . The busted plumbing was either a result of the tumble at Catemaco or old BMW rubber - My GS 1100 owers manual recommends replacing all lines at regular intervals , before they begin to leak . . What was it ?
    If you are having the other new ordered lines sent to San Cristobal I would suggest that you do NOT get over- enthusiastic and try to replace the stuff a second time . Show some appreciation for , and trust in the skills and ingenuity of the Mexican hydraulics makers .
    The effort of exchanging the line a second time and again bleeding the system is pointless for a while. Carry the extra new line as spare for a few years and see how the Mexican tubery stands up.
  7. danisOTR

Oddometer:
    The Spieglers are being sent to the hotel we’ve been in in Merida. We are going to Celestun for 2 weeks starting tomorrow. With any luck the part we be in Merida by then or soon there after. I’ll have all new parts and will install as needed or when time allows.

I’ll look at your other post as it relates to Palenque and check the map. We are in no rush and will be our riding to less than 300 KM per day or 3-5 riding hours.
    Davidprej, Drybones and Golden955 like this.
  8. danisOTR

Oddometer:
    2/29/2020 Saturday

Merida

This is our last day in Merida. At least for now. As I’ve previously written we are going to Celestun. It is a beach town on the Gulf of Mexico west of Merida by ~50 miles.

Thursday after working on the brakes we met our classmate Max and his fiancée Ola for lunch. We met at a Cuban restaurant near where La Casita Language School is.

A very interesting couple. They are in their mid-thirties. Max is from Australia, Ola is from Poland. They met 7 or so years ago in England. Their background is advertising and marketing. They’ve been working at La Casita as “work-away”. This is a program where you exchange services for room and board. So, they’ve been staying at La Casitas’ hostel for free while here.

They are on a round the world trip which they explained to us. You buy a plane ticket that allows you to literally fly around the world. There are all sorts of different plans. Essentially you leave the starting country and head either east or west. You continue in that direction. The one I looked at was Star Alliance, which is comprised of multiple airlines. In their case you get 16 trip vouchers to use. As long as you continue to go in the same direction you can enter a county at one airport and leave from another either in that country or one in the same zone. You can do this for as little as $1500 a ticket. Too much to explain here. If I’ve piqued your interest Google it. We are thinking about it. Maybe for 2021.

From Merida they are going to the US for a month and then heading back to Australia. They’ll stay there and build up some funds and do the round the world trip again. We admire them for doing this young in their lives. Seeing and doing things that 99% of us never will. Nor would we have ever thought of doing such a thing at their age. Very neat couple.
    3F10A425-5A47-4687-AE9A-70DBBA71D926.jpeg
    After lunch we went back to the hotel. We had promised Peaches and Bill we would play cards with them. Thursday was their last day in Merida. They were leaving Friday to head back to Mississippi.

We sat down at four and started playing Hand and Foot. In the midst of our third game it was closing in on 6:30. Shill and Go closes at 7:00 and we wanted to get sandwiches so Bill and I walked over to place our order. We got back to the hotel at 7:10 and quickly ate our food and got back to the game.

We finished up our third game around 8:00. I was ready to be done with cards and just settle in for the remainder of the evening.
    E20D552F-C647-4D04-8A05-17777C83D033.jpeg

Friday after breakfast I wanted to test ride Patti’s bike to make sure the repairs went well. I took it for a cruise up and down Paseo de Montejo. It was still a little squishy so I went back to the hotel and topped off the reservoir. Another swing out on the road and the resistance improved. When I got back to the hotel, I parked her bike and tied back the lever again. We should be in good shape for a Saturday departure.

Patti and I started to pack up the gear bomb. We wanted to get the panniers filled with our long-term storage. We’ve been here so long that a lot of it has leaked out into our room.

We had been putting off riding to the Gran Museo del Mundo Maya. This is a very modern museum that houses Mayan artifacts and explains the history.

We set our course north the 7.4KM’s through heavy traffic. It turned into a 20 minute ride. But there was a nice breeze coming south off the Gulf so at least we weren’t sweating.

We pulled into the lower level of the museum where their parking lot is. A security person directed us to the Moto parking. We took our gear off, cabled it to the bike and covered the bike up. A note about the parking lot. It was spotless. The floor was shinny almost to the point of being slippery. We saw cleaning people wet mopping the floor.

We were shown where the stairs were to go to the next level up where all the exhibits were. Admission was $7.50 each.

The museum had a few different exhibit halls. At the entrance and exits of each were security personnel whose job it is to open the doors and direct you into a hall or show you where the next one was.

The exhibits were very well done. There were numerous dioramas of life as it was, battle scenes, etc. There were also artifacts. The stone carvings were very well preserved. The other smaller items were mostly in pristine condition.
    EF2C111C-471A-423D-B5DC-85FF3612CE63.jpeg D75D95C8-9915-490C-B727-F90442F71DFB.jpeg CCB4BB92-FE75-4464-9176-E3436E719A58.jpeg 65317EF7-04E8-4913-88F0-288A9927E868.jpeg 97B984EA-2902-4A86-9F1F-6DA36D045CE6.jpeg 300FB1A2-46F8-4DA2-928A-B6C144A76A35.jpeg B85CA5D5-2C32-4E24-B6F0-014F52CFCD4C.jpeg ED8D30E1-A16B-4C18-A60B-5774826A4FF4.jpeg 4293D789-D220-4744-BB11-8D49218A4507.jpeg 6E939AB1-C8AB-46A3-BFF8-7E58A6B7BE3C.jpeg 387CDB2B-8F05-4DC9-8938-2C222FBB5F17.jpeg ACF6142C-9C44-4020-A758-648F9447E99A.jpeg 63DED0DA-3A97-4684-8992-5A4ED6EE8909.jpeg CEB402E7-D796-4A40-B0EF-A50FC2EE5B4D.jpeg
    We spent an hour or so working our way through the halls. When we finished the last hall we went to the parking structure. The security guard remembering us from entering buttonholed us to ask us about the bike. Not uncommon as large displacement bikes are not a normal site around here. He asked how big the motor was and was it for touring. He also helped us as we were leaving as you had to pay for parking at a machine as opposed to at the gate. A nod to modernity.

We made a stop at Walmart on the way back to the hotel. Again, traffic was heavy as schools were being let out and parents were heading to prick up their kids.

Pulling into the underground lot I worked my way through two stalls so I would be facing out and not have to back the bike out. For the third time the parking attendant tried to insist I park where the other moto’s parked. No thank you sir, this bike will not fit in those small spaces. He continued to insist. I just insisted harder.

Supplies acquired we headed back to the hotel. It was just after 3:30. We had made dinner reservation for 7:00 so we settled in for some light snacks and a couple of cocktails and discussed the round the world tickets and ideas for the upcoming weeks.

At 6:30 we headed out to walk down to Centro to Amaro, a restaurant that BvilleBud, an inmate here had recommended. This time of the evening is commuting time. The busses are packed and they are more of them moving. The walk was a little stressful with the noise of the busses and their seeming lack of brakes as is evidenced by the loud squealing.

We arrived at Amora on time for our reservation and were shown to a table near the stage which was set up for a solo act. Our waiter, Carlos, took our drink orders but returned to say that the they did not have the tequila we wanted and recommended another to replace it. It was a lot smoother.

We wanted to pace things out and take our time to dine and not just eat. Carlos gave us our space and was quick to respond when we were ready to order. We started with sopa de lima which is shredded chicken with a lime-flavored broth.

It was 7:45 before we ordered our entrees. Patti ordered what has become here favorite, Conchinita Pipil. This is slow cooked pork marinated in sour orange and achiote. It was served in a banana leaf. I ordered Yucatecan fajitas.

Our food arrived and we ate slowly. While we were eating the guitarist Tony Martin arrived and began playing and singing.

After our meal we were presented with the dessert menu. We selected flan and were coaxed into having a shot of mezcal.

We made our way slowly through the flan. The mezcal along with the orange slices was a very good addition.

Around 9:00 we asked for our check. With tip the tab was $73.00. This is the most we’ve spent for a meal since entering Mexico.

We also used Uber for the first time in Mexico. Seamless as it is in the US. Ten minute ride $2.70. Far cheaper than a taxi ride.

As I started this post, we area leaving today. The place we are staying has no Wi-Fi. So, I am unsure how the next two weeks of postings will go. If there is a good cell signal, we will keep up posts from our phones.
    NSFW, Smidty, Davidprej and 3 others like this.
  9. Omar

Omar Muddling thru Supporter

Oddometer:
    Outstanding blog, informative as well written so one can feel as if traveling with you guys. Makes for great reading. I am glad the brake line repairs worked as well as it did. Bob, a complimentary nod to your mechanical skill.
    Thanks again,
    By the way way what is ‘cenote’? Sounds a type of ancient structure. Is it?
  10. danisOTR

Oddometer:
    1/29/2020 Saturday

Celestun

We arrived to much fanfare. Kidding but we were noticed coming into town. Three turns and we were at our Airbnb.

Rustic is the word that comes to mind. But the room is clean and nicely done.

Pallets are used to create a fence around the property. The host have two rooms with private entrances set up similarly. They also live right next door. They will prepare breakfast for us for a few but I am sure a lot cheaper than going to a restaurant.

The people in the adjacent room are from the US but are missionaries who’ve live in Mexico.

Mike, our neighbor offered to drive me to get ice. I offered to pay for the kindness.

Three stops to find ice. But we were finally successful.

After we returned Patti mixed us drinks in our “go” cups and we took a walk on the beach.

What a beautiful sunset.

More tomorrow. Only 3G here so posts will be limited.

IMG_2904.jpg IMG_2900.jpg IMG_2899.jpg IMG_2915.jpg IMG_2914.jpg
    NSFW, JimsBeemer, Golden955 and 7 others like this.
  11. Ol Man

Ol Man Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It is really nice of you to update your trip on a daily basis. I am really enjoying this. You seem to like museum's as much as we do.
    Beaumont Paco likes this.
  12. danisOTR

Oddometer:
    3/1/2020 Sunday

Celestun

When we were in Merida we had gone to the Montejo where there were several art exhibits which I wrote about earlier. There were several photographs taken of numerous cultural sites around the Yucatán. They were taken by Armando Salas Portugal. I have posted one of his photos of Xmul and one I took so you could see the difference.

He had also taken a picture of a tower in Celestun. I photographed it to see if we could find the same structure when we arrived here. It was easy to find as it is near the beach and the pier.

Here is what it looked like in 1945.

IMG_2766.jpg

Here is what it looks like now.
    IMG_2919.jpg

I could not find any plaques explaining its’ significance. All I could find is that it was erected in 1893.

Celestun is a fishing village. Fishing generates over 90% of its’ revenue. The balance is tourism.

As I wrote we are a little off the beaten path. The majority of the hotel rooms and such are north of the pier which is a couple of blocks north of us.

Funny thing about the pier. As we were walking yesterday evening we noticed a half of a dozen women sweeping the sand up. Sand collects on the pier when the wind blows. So it looks as if these women band together to clean off the top. They are all using hand made brooms made from dried palm leaves.

The playa in front of our Airbnb has a couple of makeshift restaurants dotting it. They have grass roofs. There are simple plastic tables and chairs. The hostess hustles out when you walk past with a menu trying to entice you in.

Our hostess tells us that they are only here seasonally. She is not a fan as she feels they are just taking advantage of things. Local politics.

We had arranged with our hostess for here to prepare breakfast. Promptly at 9:00 AM she and her husband presented us with coffee, scrambles eggs, toast and a huge plate of fruit.

They’ve offered to lead us on a two hour tour of the mangroves and to see the flamingos. Cost $10.00. They will lead us using their moped and we will follow on the GS. Something to look forward to over the next two weeks.
  13. photo2u

photo2u Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very Nice. I love Mexico. Currently, staying at a beautiful location call Punta Bonita in the Domonican Republic.
  14. Bmex1224

Bmex1224 n00b

Oddometer:

Great ride report. I’ve probably missed it, but can you provide the name of the hotel your staying at.
  15. danisOTR

Oddometer:
    We stayed at Hotel Real San Juan on Calle 62. They have a second building called Le Casa San Juan on an adjacent street Calle 33-B. It’s an older building in front with newer rooms built behind. It has a shared kitchen. We negotiated a cash price for a month and paid well under the advertised rate.

We were a 20 minute walk from the center of town. There were ample restaurants near where we stayed. One we ate at a lot was Shill and Go. Taco’s were 20 Pesos or around $1.00. Panini sandwiches were $50 pesos and they were enough to share.
  16. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    It is this one - https://goo.gl/maps/JiEwuk2nZMZ5ZhNN7 It has the right name, but I don't see Calle 62. Tks.
  17. danisOTR

Oddometer:
    That one is in Morelia. We were in Merida. Google Hotel Boutique Real San Juan Calle 62 Merida. It should pop up.
  18. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
  19. danisOTR

Oddometer:
    3/2/2020 Monday

Celestun

I’ll apologize for the limited amount of pictures. Each one takes 2 minutes to load.

Yesterday evening we walked to a nearby restaurant on the other side of the boardwalk. We went early because unlike everywhere else we’ve been so far the restaurants here close at 7.

Tables and chairs are on the beach. We had a great view to look at as we dined.

IMG_2931.jpg

We ordered a couple of margaritas to start. Patti decided on shrimp quesadilla and I ordered Conch Ceviche. I ordered a large as it was on the appetizer menu. I was wrong. A small would have been perfect. I struggled to finish it but I persevered.

IMG_2932.jpg

It was getting close to 7 and the wait staff was busy taking down the umbrellas and picking up the tables and chairs. When they say close at 7 they mean it.

The sun was setting and we viewed another wonderful sunset. We walked back to our Airbnb read a little and turned in.

Today I was outside by 7:30 sitting at the table in the front of the Airbnb. The temperature was in the low 70’s and the sun was still low enough that the everything was still in shadows.

Patti got up shortly after and we headed to the beach where Patti ran and I walked for around 30 minutes. We sat reading until 9 when our hostess Lidia came out with two huge plates of fresh fruit and coffee.

IMG_2938.jpg

We carry a foldable cooler with us which. Ice melts too quickly to be much good so we asked if she knew where we could buy a styrofoam cooler. She did one better and said she would pick one up for us and a bag of ice when she went out.

Sure enough an hour later she show up with a new cooler and a large bag of ice. 100 pesos or just over $5.00. That will help us slow down the ice melt and also allow us to buy food that requires refrigeration.

We sat under the shade all morning and into the early afternoon. We have a view of the water and I can see the boardwalk. Another thing about the boardwalk. It is like a line of demarcation. I watched as tourists on the other side walk up to it a turn around. The south side is almost exclusively left to the locals. It is also a lot quieter.

We headed down to the beach around 1:30 bringing with us a couple of plastic “Coca Cola” chairs and beach towels. I think Coca Cola invested pretty heavily as the majority of the chairs and there are plenty of them have Cokes logo on them.

We set up in a thatch covered wall less structure enjoying the breeze and the shade. That is where I am writing this from.

IMG_2947.jpg
  20. Mexicano

Mexicano Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow.. El Tajin .. beautiful .
    Maybe I can run in to you . .were in Mexico are you now ?
    I am also retired , Lived in California most of my life but I am originally from Mexico .. I have been riding in several countries and figure out that right under me there is a lot to see in Mexico .. so I am slowing down to look at History and beauty ..