Retired and Riding (Temporarily on pause in Northern New York)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by danisOTR, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    I know you've mentioned the place you are staying before, but could you give us the name one more time so I don't have to search back through the pages? Tks,
  2. danisOTR

danisOTR Living Life on the Road Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hotel Lakyum. Palenque Chiapas, MX. the owners are Zhenia and Felipe. Felipe is a rider. He had a GSA a KTM and a couple smaller displacement bikes.

Great place and great people.
    wilfred and Davidprej like this.
  3. Ol Man

Ol Man Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What a wonderful adventure. Thanks for taking us along.
  4. PVMotos

PVMotos Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very well written, appreciate it.
    We live in México by puerto vallarta so we are here as well.
    Take care
    Ps if you come this way let us know.
    Cheers
    Jonas
  5. danisOTR

Oddometer:
    Thanks Jonas
    PVMotos likes this.
  6. AV1US

AV1US Adventurer

Oddometer:
    getting a bad vibe... just personal observations that I don't care to fully disclose at the moment.

Feels to me like they might not be reporting all the cases in MX, or people are not being tested and counted. 22 cases yesterday at the local hospital, all doctors and nurses. The city is about to hit 1,000; that's a magic number for me. I think I am going to head North. People can't make a peso and are starting to go hungry. After a month of this (or two or three, etc) how are they going to be?... I think now is the time to switch stance. Let you know what happens, if I ever see wifi again. Hahaha...

Going straight home. There is some space there, lots actually. I heard there were fuel shortages in some states, so I'm going to route through old mexico. Rear tire is a bit low on tread but I said that when I went to Yukon (I made it just fine).

take care
    wilfred likes this.
  7. danisOTR

Oddometer:
    It’s a crap shoot at this point. If we left we’d need to fly. We already know we could leave the bikes here.

Flight would be from Villahermosa to MX City then somewhere in the US the the North East which is getting hit badly. We don’t have a home or apartment to go to. No to hotels as well. We have good friend but this above and beyond.

State department is still telling everyone to go home. But we’d still have to do there what we are doing here. Stay isolated.

PM me if you something you don’t want to broadcast.
    wilfred likes this.
  8. ApexJeff

ApexJeff Have Moto Will Travel

Oddometer:

Keep everyone updated, be safe, remember that its Semana Santa this weekend . I would ask for help on your route to the border,
    Roads are closed into and out of some towns, especially beach towns. Not a good time to be riding
  9. danisOTR

Oddometer:
    Hotel we are in is closed with a chain across the entrance. We have no plans on leaving the property over the weekend. If we head to the US now we’d fly.
  10. dano619

dano619 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Scheesh.....Might as well stay put if funds warrant this....I'm in San Diego, haven't left house since Sunday.....I've never done what you 2 are doing....but, sounds like you 2 are in a great place to just chill and enjoy life and each other!! Just my 2 cents!! I am retired and I like the R word!! And, really enjoy your report!
    knight likes this.
  11. ricksax

ricksax Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking outside the box here. Las Vegas is mostly shut down, but they are almost giving hotel rooms away, I mean like $20 a night. Restaurants are all delivery or take out and would not be as cheap as where you are. But you would still have sunshine and a pool. Maybe you want to do a little web research on Vegas? If you could score a direct flight from Mexico City to Las Vegas, you would at least be in the US of A. Call me crazy.
    bajaburro and wilfred like this.
  12. danisOTR

Oddometer:
    30 hours of travel with 4 airports. The cost was under $400 though.
    JimsBeemer likes this.
  13. danisOTR

Oddometer:
    A little Vermont in MX. A friend doing a Facebook live show. He and his brother front King Me a VT based band. Miss hearing them in person. But this ain’t bad.

IMG_3515.jpg
    Vrode, ROAD DAMAGE, knight and 6 others like this.
  14. danisOTR

Oddometer:
    4/13/2020 Monday

"Restless in Palenque"

I've been following Ohio_Danimal on his Cycle South 2020 thread. We are feeling the same way. We want to be moving. But everyone at home envies us and thinks we are in a good spot. They feel as trapped as we are.

We are over two weeks not leaving the property except for walks. When we walked in the past there was a decent amount of traffic and the collectivos were full. Now almost no traffic and fewer collectivos that are almost empty. Also there used to be non-Mexicans walking. Now none.

Zhenia is now making her staff wear masks. They go home at night so it is a reasonable precaution.

I thought about maybe trying to hire someone with a truck to drive us and our bikes to the border. It's too far and probably unsafe at this point to ride. However, I'm not sure we'd make it all the way there even with a Mexican driver?

I think it's time to start a support group for those of us waiting it out before we can start riding safely again. Maybe a virtual poker game? Group chat to commiserate share survival ideas?

Even though the country has authorized beer brewing again each state can set its' own rule. Chiapas has banned liquor sales. That's reason enough to try to escape!

7F8F2887-3E27-493F-8B2E-7AA225852B74.jpeg
  15. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm still sheltering, but around me Brazil is acting for the most part like nothing's going on. Most businesses are closed as well as schools, etc, but the amount of traffic on the streets is high still. I'm entertaining myself looking at bizarre route towards Colombia, assuming I'll ever be allowed to cross borders again.
    I'm glad you two are still safe and have each other to keep you sane.
  16. roadcapDen

roadcapDen Ass, Grass or Gas, no free rides.

Oddometer:
    Hey Guy's, try a local tienda for some cervezas or tequila and stock up.
    I escaped El Salvador early March (wasn't killed or...) but if l didn't have wife/family at home, then ya I'd rather be down there.

Got time on your hands, how long does it take to make a still ie hooch? Stay safe!
    Oh, and advise of your favourite retirement area in MX:photog
  17. Boneheadnw

Boneheadnw Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I will offer this (and I'm sure there are many others that can make the same offer):

While we have never met, I have been following your thread since its inception. Let me know if you would like to have a zoom session and we can introduce ourselves and share some experiences. Other inmates will follow, and that should keep you busy (if you like the idea) for quite sometime.

What do you think?

Bonehead
  18. danisOTR

Oddometer:
    You’re not the first one to recommend a still. There are cases of beer in the hotel. I take a beer I mark it down 1.25 per. Then I restock the fridge.

There are also various bottles of booze in the kitchen. Again just mark down what we take.

Our touring has been short-cuted by having to stay put. Mérida was nice. We could see ourselves spending time there. Celestun was nice for a few days then got boring. Campeche pretty but also 4 days was enough. So we haven’t found a “place” yet.
    RedDogAlberta likes this.
  19. danisOTR

Oddometer:
    Thanks Bonehead. Man it feels weird actually calling someone bonehead and not because they screwed something up.

That’s a cool idea
    Ol Man likes this.
  20. ricksax

ricksax Adventurer

Oddometer: