1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

Retired and Riding (Temporarily on pause in Northern New York)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by danisOTR, Jan 13, 2020.

1. danisOTR

danisOTR Living Life on the Road Supporter

Oddometer:
    So I’m going to take a new tac here. As we are stationary and I don’t have a lot to contribute to this threat I am going to start writing reports about other trips we and I have taken over the last 8 years.

The first one is going to be about a trip to Europe in June 2017. We went with our good friends from VT (SteinVT here) and rode for 2 weeks. We went from Germany to Austria, Northern Italy, Croatia, Slovenia and then back.

I am curating the pictures now and am trying to put together the names of the cities we visited along the way.

As soon as I have started the new post I will put a link here.

Thanks for following along.
    Nicknewb, LoneStar, Vrode and 4 others like this.
  2. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great idea. Look forward to post and pics.
  3. danisOTR

Oddometer:
  4. bigjohnsd

bigjohnsd '14 BMW R1200 GS Adv Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hope you don't stop detailing your Mexican Adventures while doing the other ride reports.
  5. danisOTR

Oddometer:
    Not to fear. As items of interest present themselves I will continue posting them here.
  6. Pete_Tallahassee

Pete_Tallahassee Grampy

Oddometer:
    Don't stop now. I just caught up. Enjoying your report or whatever you want to call it. Good luck to your Dad. Hopefully a large majority of US voters will agree with him in November.
    I started your report when I realized you guys were headed to Merida, that's my next destination. I'd be there now if not for the present situation. I was going to scout out places I might want to spend an extended time in. I just flew down to the Dominican Republic, rented a car and drove all over the country. While I liked it and the people were very friendly I don't think it's for me. I have ridden a moto through every state in Mexico and I'm zeroing in on the Yucatan. Any and all info you wish to impart on that area would be greatly appreciated. Stay Safe.

PMS: That Yucatan Express Ferry has not run for ages and the future is not promising. I spoke with a guy several years ago that told me that if it runs again it will most likely depart the US from somewhere on the Gulf Coast. Gulfport Mississippi was mentioned. Moving the departure point further west would shorten the drive for many and reduce the competition for docking space with the cruise ships in Tampa.
  7. danisOTR

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I knew the ferry was old news. Great idea too bad.

We spent a month in Merida near Centro. If you were going to go there I’d recommend staying close to Centro. You can walk to a majority of things that are of interest.

As for this report I will write about things of interest as they pop up. Otherwise people may get bored with: we sat by the pool, played cards, read, watched Netflix day after day. Kind of like we are. Don’t get me wrong we are happy and lucky to be here.
    knight and Pete_Tallahassee like this.
  8. RhinoVonHawkrider

RhinoVonHawkrider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Stay put - Most of the NorthEast US have been staying put. Go to store, then home. Go walk dogs. Or in my case start skateboarding again (Been doin it since 1974!)

I'm live in Lehigh Valley Pa.

Recently back to work - construction manager - closing up two bldgs that were left partially framed when Pa Gov. shutdown on 3/20.

Looks like we will be back to work on 5/11 - To Be Confirmed - each state is doing things differently - depends upon level of cases / deaths.

NYC Metro - where I grew up is in bad shape - lots of infections and deaths.

Anyway, sad for those that are more affected or have lost someone.

Stay in Mexico - U could be in worse places.

I enjoyed your R/R to now - it will be begin again - have faith.
  9. 531blackbanshee

531blackbanshee Adventurer

Oddometer:
    greatly enjoyed following along.
    stay safe and keep us posted,

leon
  10. danisOTR

Oddometer:
    4/22/2020 Wednesday

Palenque

Yay ROADTRIP

Today we were invited by our hosts to go to a water feature that was sure to NOT BE CLOSED. And the bonus was we got to go by motorcycle.

It has been a few weeks since we’ve been out on the bikes. Usually by the time we get up it is already touching 90. Also, as we saw today there are heath check roadblocks at random locations. These require us to show our passports and our visa’s verifying how long we’ve been in the country. Today we went right through because we were with Zhenia and Felipe.

We left the property around 10. Felipe asked how I was on gas. I thought I told him I was good for 75KM.

We were both 2 up as Patti chose not to ride her bike. Zhenia rides but I think sticks to the smaller bikes.

We headed out on Route 199 in the towards San Cristóbal. This is the road we took several weeks ago to see Cascada de Misol-Ha and Agua Azul. So, we knew we were in for a fun ride.

Felipe was out front and kept us a good pace. The road is very curvy and we soon learned that Felipes’ timing for passing was a little more aggressive than mine. We were moving along at an average of 60 MPH except when we came into villages and had to slow for the topes.

3361B88D-8E3B-4677-8B89-1E01AD28DBC9.jpeg
    We stayed on 199 for around 20 minutes then turned right onto route 243. This was another fun road. It was not in quite as good of shape as 199 but it was decent and very curvy. We kept close to the same pace as we moved through the curves and a few switchbacks.

In another half hour Felipe pulled over on bridge over a river. He told us it was the same river and that makes up Agua Azul. It is called Xanil River. We were just several miles downriver from Agua Azul. But there was no mistaking that turquoise color.
    46CAB9D3-6758-478F-8A6E-F6BC8789A666.jpeg 92104B0A-8C10-40B9-8B9E-B57F5BC8065B.jpeg

The women and I were confused because Felipe said this was the place and we all started to take off our riding gear. Good thing he corrected us otherwise we were in for a long climb down.

After a couple of pictures, we moved on another few minutes to the entrance of Cascadas De Tuli Ha. The road down was very steep and made up of two concrete strips for car tires. In between and on the edges is was packed stone. The surface was easily navigable but the grade was something else. It was over a 15-degree grade and we had to negotiate a few switchbacks on the way down.

Screen Shot 2020-04-22 at 6.16.22 PM.png
    At the bottom were a couple of gates. We waited a few moments for someone to show us. We paid our admission which was $2.50 each. We rode down the path and over some grass until we were under a shade tree. A little back and forth with the bikes to get them on fairly level ground and we hopped off.
    5D044DE7-9948-4599-9281-E00FDD3F6284.jpeg

The initial view was pretty stunning. We were around 50 feet from the water. But the attraction was is that someone had poured concrete barriers to create numerous pools that were all fed by the constant flow of the river. So, we get to enjoy the feeling of the flow as it moves through the pools without being sucked downstream.

C4013C78-F3C0-4DBD-AE39-A7F6EBCD837E.jpeg 0CBBB8FF-FC7B-4B5B-A07F-B07FF57067C9.jpeg A915C905-504C-411A-835C-003384FF519E.jpeg 56273506-0C50-4C60-AB5E-3637942E29B8.jpeg
    We got ourselves ready and headed down to the pools. There were walkways separating the pools. There were also step down into the pools which made getting into and out of them pretty easy. Although the steps that were under water were a little slippery as were the rocks on the bottom of the pools.

I scoped things out and when I turned around Patti was gone! Need not have worried she had already found what became our favorite pool. The water was running strong dropping though channels in the concrete and sliding down rocks. We needed to plant our feet to avoid being pushed around by the pressure from the water.
    95D5B14A-5BFC-4D0E-8837-D4635CA2B0C1.jpeg

We did get out of this pool and investigated a larger one that we could actually swim in. We swam for a bit and then decided we just wanted to chill out.

Zhenia and Felipe found their own niche. But a while later there was Felipe swimming in the river.

We hung out for a couple of hours enjoying the cool water from the river. All too soon it was time to head back out.

Remember I had thought I had told Felipe I had 75 KM range left. Well apparently, I said 150 KM. That was confirmed by both the women.
    465A879E-0363-4F50-8FB3-F77992209286.jpeg

My GS was on reserve. So, we did the emergency fill up by tipping the bike on its’ right side. That gave me an eighth of a tank. Felipe said we’d go back a different way where we would find a gas station that was 10 minutes away.

Geared up we headed out. Good thing we were going to go by fuel soon because as soon as we started to climb the hill to get out of the area my fuel light came back on.

We rode a short way and were stopped at the health check that I wrote about above. We were through quickly and going through a small village. On the downhills I was coasting just as a precaution.

True to his word there was a Pemex a short distance past the health check. No premium but you can’t be choosy when you are on fumes. $300 pesos ($15) filled the tank and we were moving.

Felipe said the road back was going to be faster than the ride out. I don’t know about that. We eventually found ourselves on the same highway we entered Palenque on over a month ago.

The temperature was over 100 degrees and the tarmac didn’t help. It was one of the time that keeping your face shield down is cooler than riding with it open. I had wet my shirt before we left the river so I was getting some relief.
    317F2F6C-BAE6-4A28-AF18-C4AE14AFC5FB.jpeg 5A34DCEE-389B-4894-A362-7D447FB7ADE8.jpeg 10730FA0-6B38-4DFA-8A1E-32145800B889.jpeg 0DEC8AB2-06F9-4D9A-B22D-6421282474B2.jpeg

We ended up back at the Casa around 3 so we had a great 5-hour furlough!
  11. Vrode

Vrode Not my problem Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad you got a ride in! (30 deg and some light snow this morning. It’s cramping my quarantining a bit)
    Beaumont Paco likes this.
  12. edstoll

edstoll OPD-2019 Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cascadas De Tuli Ha !! That is awesome. I happened by there just a little over a year ago. I had the place to myself. I thought at the time this would be great place to buy and host some bike rallys. Were they any others there when you were? Thanks again for doing this report. I am really enjoying it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have several more pictures of the place I thought it was heaven.
  13. RedDogAlberta

RedDogAlberta High Plains Drifter

Oddometer:
    Looks like a marvellous day out. We finally have spring here. Better late than never.
  14. danisOTR

Oddometer:
    No one there but the four of us. In fact there were very few people in the structures nearby. It is pretty far out of the way. You’d have to make sure you bring EVERYTHING with you if you wanted to stay. It looked like there was a hotel there at one point but it did not seem to have any activity recently.
    Nicknewb and edstoll like this.
  15. danisOTR

Oddometer:
    The trip is not over but we will be pushing the "pause" button soon. We've decided to fly back to New England on May 5th. The bikes will stay in Palenque at Hotel Lakyum thanks to the generosity of Zhenia and Felipe. We will be forfeiting our TVIP but that's OK.

We will fly from Villahermosa to Mexico City to Dallas Fort Worth and finally onto Boston. Almost 20 hours of travel if all goes well. But we are expecting things to go FUBAR so anything close to the plan will be good.

We were supposed to be be back in the US three weeks ago and travel up the West Coast then head back East to be back in VT in July. The way things are here with the Mexico Covid curve we probably would not be able to leave Palenque before the end of May. Then we would have to make a "B" line North East and really not have a lot of time to enjoy the ride and visit people and places.

The other consideration is cost. To get back to Vermont, all in, will cost us $1,200 if we fly. Riding would be morse costly.

Pattis' brother and sister-in-law live in Plattsburgh, NY which is just across Lake Champlain from VT. They have a large farm house and have invited us to stay with them. Plattsburgh (The North Country of NY) and VT have been doing very well with the Covid issue so it is a good place to be.

We have two motorcycles in storage in Vermont that we will retrieve when we get back. We'll use those for transportation and traveling while we ride things out in the US.

We were planning on shipping the two VT based MC's to Europe in the Fall and touring there. That is still up in the air.

We will come back to MX late this year or early next and "un-pause" picking back up in Palenque.

We will keep this post going through our return to the States. We will let everyone know the trials and tribulations of our trip.

Any traveling we do when we get back to the States that warrant documentation, maybe the Gaspe Peninsula or New Foundland if Horizons Unlimited hold their HUBB event on August we will document on separate reports.

Thanks to all of you who have been following. Any question post them here.
  16. ROAD DAMAGE

ROAD DAMAGE Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Safe travels! :thumb

As always, thanks for taking us along.
  17. Davidprej

Davidprej Davidprej Supporter

Oddometer:
    Godspeed with your travels. I'll be looking forward to your report about how it goes, as well as posts about your future activities. You are a delightful couple to "spend time with".
  18. Ohio_Danimal

Ohio_Danimal If I die trying, at least I tried Supporter

Oddometer:
    Safe travels!
  19. Long Trail

Long Trail ADV Willing

Oddometer:
    Hope all works out well on your return trip.
  20. RidewithAB

RidewithAB Just Ride! Supporter

Oddometer:
    You may be able to get your TVIP extended due to the current CV19 crisis. I know I read somewhere that they are extending that courtesy.

I live in Dallas, let me know if I can help in any way. Thanks for your report. Cheers...AB