Return of the Clunk: The CX goes looking for the middle of nowhere

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by jlevers, Jul 16, 2019.

1. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    Meh. Nothing to worry about. Having oil in those old Hondas was over-rated. :rofl

First there was Cack; now there is Clack. :clap https://advrider.com/f/threads/detroit-to-san-diego-zen-and-the-art-of-motorcycle-negligence.265019/
    Drybones and jlevers like this.
  2. Stubanger

Stubanger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :clap
    jlevers likes this.
  3. Blader54

Blader54 Long timer

Oddometer:
    As I recall, they didn't tray the whole thing. They measured off a distance and had a couple of helpers do hand timing. If memory serves they reached about 35 mph but I don't remember if that was from a standing start or a "flying lap." Also don't know how many tries it took them before they were able to stay on the trays for the whole ride! Ouch!

Greatly anticipating your ride! Ambitious route plus interesting bike equals cool.
    jlevers likes this.
  4. iplax13

iplax13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Come down to NY and ski at windham or hunter with me any time.
    Got a place 5 minutes from windham. Great riding in the area as well, even though currently don't have a road worthy bike :(
    jlevers likes this.
  5. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Jesse, please submit your time sheets before you leave Friday.

:p

IN.
    Ginger Beard, flei and jlevers like this.
  6. jlevers

jlevers Type 2 fun

Oddometer:
    Be careful, I'll take you up on that!

:lol3 consider it done
    AdamChandler likes this.
  7. iplax13

iplax13 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    jlevers likes this.
  8. jlevers

jlevers Type 2 fun

Oddometer:
    Well, I think I’m going to be leaving between half a day and a day late, but hey, what’s the rush? There have been lots of things to do.

Things that have been done: redoing the front suspension (adding more oil and a larger spacer), getting an inspection (only 3 months late!), slapping on some new rubber, and changing back to the stock mirrors. Also, lots of gathering stuff that I’m planning on bringing.

These are the bags I’ll have with me. Two Nelson Rigg Dry Sierra saddlebags (27L each), a Cold Cold World Chaos (66L pack), Osprey Talon (22L daypack), and a Cortech tank bag (10L?).

[​IMG]

Total side note, but Cold Cold World is a sick company out of Jackson, NH. They make all bags to order, don’t advertise, and make some bomber alpine packs. No affiliation, I just think they’re awesome.

Here’s most of the stuff I’m bringing, minus laptop, a few cords, and tools...the huge thing in the REI bag is my sleeping bag, which will be a whole lot smaller once it’s in a stuff sack. If you have any questions about what I’m bringing, ask away!

[​IMG]

As of tonight, the bike is more put together than in this picture, but still needs the exhaust reassembled…

[​IMG]

... which brings me to the list of things that haven’t been done yet. The largest issue is dealing with my two massive exhaust leaks, which are a result of a friend and me redoing the exhaust this winter, and deleting the h-box that these bikes come with. Well, it was a great learning experience, and the bike looks a lot better, but without the h-box, it became clear that my mufflers were totally rotted out. I lost a bunch of power, my gas mileage went down, and, well, it’s hilariously loud. I got some replacement mufflers, but they’re not gonna fit without a lot of time and fabrication, so for now I’m just hoping to seal the leaks between the headers and the existing mufflers. If you want to read more about what I’ve done to the bike, check out the Garage Journal or CX500 Forum threads about it.

I also need to change my oil, adjust my cam chain, and grab some spare parts (fuses, spark plugs, fuel filters, etc). Other than that, lots of little things to wrap up at home, but I should be hitting the road tomorrow! Or, I guess actually today at this point...I should probably go to sleep.

Last weekend, when I was procrastinating on getting ready for this trip, some friends and I went camping up in Maine...it was sweet! Hiked Old Speck (that was my last 4000 footer in Maine), went to the New England Forest Rally, and did a lot of hanging out and being goons. Good stuff.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    td63, EZMoney, Joris van O and 6 others like this.
  9. SteveBlack

SteveBlack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Round 2 !! I'm in!
  10. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    :ear
  11. jlevers

jlevers Type 2 fun

Oddometer:
    I had to delay till today, but I'm gonna leave today, I swear 2
  12. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    You need anything before you leave? I was in Mass yesterday. should have dropped in and got you leid.
    jlevers likes this.
  13. oldtouring B

oldtouring B Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Have to ask. When you had the snow skies on your bike, HOW did you get off and on??
    jlevers likes this.
  14. jlevers

jlevers Type 2 fun

Oddometer:
    I just left... The stoke is high!
    UMG and flei like this.
  15. Onesong

Onesong MichaelHilton

Oddometer:
    He's off!! Good luck Jesse!

Was wondering that about the skis myself.
    jlevers likes this.
  16. jlevers

jlevers Type 2 fun

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the offer...but don't you think you should at least take me to dinner first?
    I literally had to put the bike on the kickstand, stand on the seat with both feet, and then kinda jump down between the skis...and the reverse to get off. It was quite the ride.
    AdamChandler likes this.
  17. jlevers

jlevers Type 2 fun

Oddometer:
    I left a day late...but I’m not really late, because I don’t have to be anywhere for a long time! What a sweet feeling. Yesterday, I did a few things to my bike, and then packed up my stuff. The biggest issue with my bike was the massive exhaust leaks at both mufflers. I went to a local NAPA, and they recommended I try some of this stuff.

[​IMG]

I gave it a try, and so far, it seems to have worked! My gas mileage has gotten a LOT better. We’ll see if it holds up. I brought the rest of the tube with me, so if I need to redo the fix, I can.

I also changed my final drive oil and engine oil, and adjusted my cam chain. I should be good to go for a while.

This morning, when I was packing up, I noticed that the stock turn signal mounts on my sissy bar (which aren’t being used) were stabbing holes in my saddlebags, so I just hacksawed part of the signal mount off. Super high tech.

[​IMG]

I said bye to my parents, and at long last, I hit the road. Hell YES!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...and then, when I stopped to get gas, I discovered that I no longer had a credit card. Shit. Great start. A few phone calls later, I found that the NAPA I went to yesterday had it, so a 20 minute detour later, me and my all-important piece of plastic were reunited, and I was off, for real this time! For future reference, here’s my odometer about 15 miles in.

[​IMG]

I managed to find some sweet new roads near me that I’d never been on. When I come back, I’m going to have to explore some more -- I had no idea there were roads that fun within an hour of my house! I was just kind of jamming along, and didn’t take a ton of pictures, but it was awesome. I took a lot of wrong turns, but they all just put me onto different bangin’ roads, so I didn’t mind.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I saw a ton of big windfarms, which was really cool.

[​IMG]

One of my goals for this trip is to get a little more comfortable on dirt, so I took a number of different dirt forest roads through the Green mountains in Vermont...I did a little sliding around, which was a little scary, but suuuper fun.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love Vermont.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I realized later in the day that I was going to be driving straight through Killington, VT, where my college roommate and good friend Kyle is from, so I shot him a text, and ended up showing up at the pool where he works and taking a much needed swim (it was HOT today)...he offered for me to stay at his house, so I’m unexpectedly sleeping in an actual bed tonight! Thanks Kyle, you’re the man.

The plan for tomorrow is to hike Mt. Abraham and Mt. Ellen, the last two 4000ft mountains in Vermont that I haven’t hiked yet, which should take 6 hours, tops, as it’s around 12mi. After that, if I have time, I’m going to go to Lake Willoughby in northeastern Vermont, and I’ll probably stay at a friend’s house in Burlington. Cushy first couple of days...but I promise there’s lots of camping to come. I’m just getting warmed up.

I definitely need to cover more miles than I did today on other days, but I think it’ll be easier when I’m in Canada and not taking so many tiny back roads...I’m not too worried. Worst case scenario, I have a couple days of bombing to Minneapolis to make my flight.

For me, the hardest thing about my last cross-country trip was being pretty lonely for much of the trip, so I’m trying to connect with all the people I know along the way. If anyone’s along my route and wants to ride along for a bit, you’re definitely welcome to!

------------------------------
    Start: Williamsburg, MA
    End: Killington, VT
    Mileage: 165mi
  18. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    Went thru Searsburg and took NF Road #71, eh? Off to a good start! Now that you finally got started!
  19. jlevers

jlevers Type 2 fun

Oddometer:
    Yeah, FS 71 was amazing. Looked like there was some awesome free camping too, if I'd needed it.
    flei likes this.
  20. jlevers

jlevers Type 2 fun

Oddometer:
    Currently on top of Mt. Ellen...it's a beautiful day for a hike!

Just thought I'd mention that it's hard for me to do real time photos and videos on here, so if you want to check out those, here's my Instagram where I'll be posting stories pretty frequently.