Return of the Clunk: The CX goes looking for the middle of nowhere

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by jlevers, Jul 16, 2019.

1. mjs3800

mjs3800 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I don't chime in much but I have scribed and read both your ride reports. I thought you told a outstanding story.
    jlevers and ChopperCharles like this.
  2. thadf

thadf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’ve also enjoyed every word. Thanks for taking the time and effort to put your travels out there.

Much appreciated.
    jlevers likes this.
  3. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    Jesse- Another great adventure. On to the next one. Stay in touch!
  4. jlevers

jlevers Type 2 fun

Oddometer:
    Thanks everyone! I appreciate you all chiming in.
    Drybones and AdamChandler like this.
  5. jlevers

jlevers Type 2 fun

Oddometer:
    I realized after my last post that while most of the trip was over, there was still some interesting stuff left to go...so consider this a “P.S.” to the last post.

I just spent about 10 days at Larry’s (the Larry of CX500 fame), working on my laptop while he worked on my bike. Unsurprisingly, he found a lot of issues...I’ll get into everything he did in a minute. He also got a little carried away and instead of just making the bike work properly, made it look nice too...who’d have ever thought this bike would look good??

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

Ok, here’s the laundry list of what Larry did:
    • Adjusted the valves (which were SUPER out of spec) and the cam chain
    • Change the oil
    • Rebuild the carbs (a few times, actually, because there was a weird issue that he’d never seen before)
    • Clean out the airbox
    • Shorten the throttle and clutch cables (I have aftermarket bars, so the cables were too long)
    • Fixed some weirdness with the front brake lever
    • Fit and weld on HD Dyna mufflers to replace my old crappy ones, and paint the headers
    • Tighten the steering head bearing
    • Repair/resolder/reroute a lot of the wiring harness
    • Change and balance the front tire
    • Clean out the starter motor
    • Install a new LED headlight (a HUGE improvement)
    • Install new, aftermarket coils (the old ones were cracked)
    • Replace rear wheel drive spline and grease drive hub (I embarrassingly didn’t know this needed to get greased frequently, so it was rusted to hell)
    • Replace rear brake drum plate (the brake retaining rod hole had worn badly)
    • Polish the valve covers, rear brake drum plate, center of clutch cover, sides of radiator, and most of the front forks

Whew! That’s a long list! The carbs definitely took the longest out of any of that...I’ll let Larry chime in with what went wrong on those if he wants to.

Some closeups:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(new coils)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The bike literally feels like a different machine now. For basically this whole trip, I had to go WFO to get the bike to go much of anywhere, it was topping out at 90mph down a hill, and my gas mileage was crap. Now, it’s WAY faster, gets closer to 50mpg, and, while I haven’t topped it out yet, a little birdie told me that it definitely goes at least 100 ;)

Larry, as always, thank you for the hospitality -- it was great hanging out with you for a good while, and you did amazing work (to no one’s surprise). He showed me a picture of this car he built back in the day...custom sheet metal and everything. So sick.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I left Larry’s yesterday morning -- next stop LA! I wavered back and forth a bit on whether or not to ride the whole way there in one day. Originally, I was just going to bomb down I-5, because I was feeling pretty ready to be done, but I eventually realized that it was silly to ride past so many awesome roads and not get to enjoy any of them. So then, I made a route through the Sierras, and figured I’d take two days to ride it...and that was my intention when I left Larry’s yesterday morning.

I rode out of Larry’s around 9:30am, and quickly found my way to some really, really fun roads. A couple of them were about the width of a driveway...but for like 30 miles! Awesome.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Around 2pm, I was stopped at a gas station, and realized that I could potentially make it to LA that night! At first, I thought it seemed silly to bomb all the way there, but the more I thought about it, the nicer it sounded to just get there. So with that in mind, I decided to pretty much not stop riding for the rest of the day.

I eventually headed into Yosemite via CA-120, which is a really fun road, although I unfortunately got stuck behind some really slow people for a half hour of it. Yosemite was beautiful, although REALLY smoky -- it seemed like half the park had burned.

[​IMG]

You could barely see the famous vista from Tunnel View…

[​IMG]

Crazy. I rode out of Yosemite, and down towards Squaw Valley, and promptly hit some more incredible roads. It sorta seems like in California, you can’t stay away from the fun roads if you try! I rode down to Fresno, and got to the highway just as the sun went down.

[​IMG]

I hung out at a gas station, ate some dinner (peanut butter!), and got nice and caffeinated, because I’d slept under 6 hours the last couple nights, and I had a lot of riding left.

I was about 200 miles from LA, and I started bombing south. I stopped about halfway to rest and recaffeinate, and finally got to LA around 11:30pm. It feels really surreal to be actually at the end of the ride...about 7,000 miles, 3 months, and 14 states (plus Ontario) later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I’m really excited for the rest of the year. Cheers, y’all.
    JackJack, Stubanger, flei and 11 others like this.
  6. staticPort

staticPort Meditrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well done! Will be watching for your next adventure . . .
    CCitis and jlevers like this.
  7. AdamChandler

AdamChandler Ascending n00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    I bet riding the bike was effing insane after all of that work. Valves + Carbs + airbox has to be a huge improvement for you. Bike looks 500 times better than it did last time I saw it.
  8. jlevers

jlevers Type 2 fun

Oddometer:
    Yeah, it's a different machine. I'd say it's damn near twice as fast to 60 as it was before... I've been having a hell of a time riding it around LA. There's about 1/10th the traffic enforcement around here, too, so that doesn't hurt ;)
    ChopperCharles and AdamChandler like this.