Return to Panama

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by dwj - Donnie, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Mac-1769

Mac-1769 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    It is a shame that this happened. 95-99% of folks I have met around the world are great people, it is the few that want to mess it up for others. We cannot live in fear that something might happen but live in faith.
    You have a wonderful R\R. Keep it up and keep safe.

Mac
  2. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    North Carrollton, MS - Traveling on the Moto
    This is Mario and Liz from the hotel. He is retired from Working 42 years in the Motion Picture industry. He is a citizen of both the USA and Guatemala where he is originally from. Liz is Guatemalan. They live in the mountains close to Antigua and are here on vacation.

[​IMG]
  3. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is Lobo and Zenayda, who were also visiting Monterrico. They live just ourside of Antigua. They are retired,but own a restaurant in Antigua. Lobo is from Austria and Zenayda is from El Salvador.

[​IMG]
  4. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    We finally left the hotel at 11:45. The electricity had been off since five! We had to use lanterns to get packed up. Apparently the electricity was off all over town because we stopped at a gas station while leaving and they were using a portable generator to power their system. I don't think this is the first time they have had a power outage. :evil

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Down on the coast, temps were over 101 in places and then you would hit an area that has a breeze coming off of the Pacific and the temp would drop ten degrees. It was nice heading back into the mountains! :clap

Often, what you would see like this is clouds, but this is a huge fire! :eek1 You can't see any flames, it just seems to be smoldering!

[​IMG]
  6. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    The higher we go, the cooler it gets.

[​IMG]
  7. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    By the time we reached Antigua, the elevation was up to 5,000 feet and the temp was down to 67! :clap

[​IMG]
  8. R-W

R-W Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "A lady from England that taught English in Japan for twenty years. She was a very well traveled and interesting person. She spoke Japanese, passable Spanish and I think a bit of a few more languages. Hey Carl, Kathleen and Royce, she has a 45 sailboat in San Carlos, Mexico"

Hey Donnie,

If you got this lady's contact info, give her our email since she has a boat here in San Carlos. We will always welcome a fellow sailor ( or ADV rider too) :D

Safe travels to you and Ana!

:freaky
  9. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:

I sent it to her. :D
  10. R-W

R-W Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Welcome back to Mexico! :freaky
  11. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Now I got to finish my RR. :deal I was without WIFI for two days! :eek1
  12. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did not do much. Ana did some shopping and I caught up on Ride Reports that I follow, but had gotten behind on while traveling,
  13. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    We headed home today. :D No pictures were taken, but we did pass two volcanoes that were putting out a bit of smoke. I took the two ladies running the open air food stand where we had breakfast on a small ride. :D Crossing back into Mexico was quick and painless even though Garmin brought us back through a crossing point that I had never used.

In our 65 days on the road we traveled six countries and almost 5,000 miles. We actually averaged less than 75 miles per day! :D The more we travel, the less miles per day we ride and the more time we spend in the locations that we stop. I think that we only rode 33 of the 65 days we were gone. Being back with the familiarities of home is nice, but I already miss the road. :evil

I will leave the Mar 22 for a trip to Dallas and Mississippi, plus a side trip with my cousin. I should be gone from Mexico about three weeks. When I return, Ana and I will travel the northern part of Mexico, plus Baja. Then she will have traveled all of her own country, including all of the states, plus DF.
  14. Junyah

Junyah @ the speed of plaid

Oddometer:
    Most excellent Donnie and Ana, welcome home! And thanks for post all of this up! Did the exhuast repair hold up until you made it home? :clap

15. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for following! :clap The exhaust weld has held for over 3,500 miles. :deal There is a new one waiting at my daughter's house in Dallas, TX, so 1650 miles to go. :eek1 I have had a lot of popping on decel because the graphite washers used to seal between the mufflers and the collector have been gone and I have been using what I could find. News ones are in Dallas as well.
  16. Tom Blum

Tom Blum Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would also like to thank you for the reports you have generated over the years. I don't think everyone realizes how much time it takes to generate a report of this quality.

I just got back from a month at the place in Puerto Escondido that you checked out for me last year. Thanks for that too.

Tom
  17. Bgunn

Bgunn Posible maƱana

Oddometer:
    Good stuff Donnie ! What is your impression of the 990 so far? Did it handle the heat well?

Running a 950 with about the same mileage. Rode a 1190 and liked it.
  18. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    When are you coming through?
  19. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    I love the 990! I have two fans on mine, so heat is not an issue.

Probably Mar 24.
  20. SkizzMan

SkizzMan aka SkiddMark ;^)

Oddometer:
    If you can be in Austin March 29th (a Sunday) you can be my guest at a
    special viewing of the Qatar MotoGP race live.