Returning rider: NC750X dct or Africa Twin dct?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by BrianInPA, Feb 25, 2019.

1. BrianInPA

BrianInPA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Honestly, if I could get a heel and toe shifter like on the Honda trail bikes I grew up with, this would no longer be an issue for me, and it would open up possibilities for a lot of different bikes. Its pulling up with my toes that's difficult following my strokes.
  2. Jeffo

Jeffo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are all sorts of weird and wonderful ways motorcycles can be adapted to suit a multitude of disabilities.
    Although i'm not a member, there are times i've attended rallies by NABD. I've seen all sorts of modifications on bikes at these rallies.

http://www.nabd.org.uk/about-the-nabd/

But you may well like the NC, in which case its job done.
    BrianInPA likes this.
  3. BrianInPA

BrianInPA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just found this image on a forum with a KLR thread. If I did this to my DR350 I could just keep riding it for a while: IMG_1261.jpg
    Honda-50 and Jeffo like this.
  4. BronNowo

BronNowo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Africa Twin is the same way boring for somebody riding KTM 1290 as nc750x for somebody ridiing Africa Twin, so we can go on....
    If a rider is boring any bike will boring be as well, it's silly.
    Dellaster, Hanggai and borderlinebob like this.
  5. BrianInPA

BrianInPA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've got bad genes, I had a heart attack and triple bypass at 42, so I gave up the ST1100 and thought I'd never ride again. Then after a couple years I got the KLR650. I sold it to help pay for my kids' college. So I haven't been on a bike since my late 40s.

When they put the stents in my brain following the strokes, the doctor told me I had a 1 in 5 chance of never waking up. After that and being partially paralyzed, I'm just very thankful for being able to walk and talk again, let alone get back on a bike.

Its probably been 6-7 years since I rode, actually, but this was a good place to start; I'm currently riding an old DR350se, so just about anything would be a step up at this point.

But at this stage in life, boring is quite all right ;-)
  6. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1

@OP at your size AT would be an obvious answer but health is different matter AT is a bigger and heavier bike even if specs don't exactly show NCx is much lighter.

Perhaps used/NOS NC700x?
    Cruz and BrianInPA like this.
  7. MikefromNL

MikefromNL Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm glad to hear your health has improved.

I ride an Africa Twin DCT. It is a lot of bike. It's big, tall, and heavy. The NCX feels much more manageable from sitting on one at the dealer. I wouldn't want to pick up the Africa Twin after dropping it if i wasn't in good shape and health.
    I met @knight this summer in the Yukon. He had just finished riding to Ushuaia and back on the NCX and then rode to Tuk. Maybe his was the 700. I forget. Either way, I think it will be more than capable for your riding.

At the end of the day, you have to sit on and ride both of them before really deciding.
    Toto, EZMoney and BrianInPA like this.
  8. knight

knight Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hola Mike
    My Yukon campground hub fix is still holding, the NC750X and I are now down in Baja

I followed a novice rider on an AT up a rough mountain road in the Kootenays this summer
    There was no way my underpowered bike could keep up , his 21" wheel allowed him to go over crap that I had best avoid due the lack of clearance,
    inadequate suspension and small front wheel on the NC , I made it to the top of that mountain but the novice rider had to wait several times for me to catch up along the way

I think comparing these two bikes is ridiculous , the AT is twice the bike ,as it should be, It's twice the price

The OP at 230lbs and the NC fully loaded up for travel , i think might be maxing out the suspension , I have clearness issues weighing 200lbs ,lots of sag
    My rear shock lasted 75K klms , I got 35K so far on the used one I got off ebay , and was punishing it last week when I spent an hour riding washboard two up, to and from a deserted beach
    itlives, misterk, twinrider and 4 others like this.
  9. neanderthal

neanderthal globeriding wannabe

Oddometer:
    Here, but lost. Am I lost if i know i'm here?
    With your height and size @OP I would recommend the Africa Twin. I'm very biased though.

With your condition, you might be better suited to an NC7X0.

Both will commute very well, but obviously the NC will shine in that arena. Off road the AT will shine.

It depends on how much off roading you're going to be doing, a, and b, just far you'll be going offroad.
    BrianInPA likes this.
  10. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Have you seen the new Super Cub? Auto clutch, super economical and getting stellar reviews.

JustKip and BrianInPA like this.
  11. BrianInPA

BrianInPA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m boring. I hope I’m not THAT boring...

Reminds me of the Honda Trail 90s I grew up on.
    Nihon Newbie and MikefromNL like this.
  12. ex_MGB

ex_MGB Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Kinda why I settled on the AT, it has that bit more oomph for loaded up travel.

OP - I have a 30" inseam and bought the Honda low seat, makes a big difference. Fully loaded with camping gear I suspect I might go back to the original seat in the low position.
    BrianInPA likes this.
  13. BrianInPA

BrianInPA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone heard any feedback about the Holy Shift shifter?
    http://indie-crew.com/index.html

This contraption might actually solve the problem I have shifting the DR350.
  14. twinrider

Oddometer:
    :D

For what it's worth, I'm in the same age demographic as you. But in my mind I'm still 25... :patch :rofl
    aussie dubber likes this.
  15. twinrider

Oddometer:
    I just watched the vid. Seems like it'd work ok if you're just cruising with your feet resting on the footpegs just ahead of the heel. But it would be awkward if the balls of your feet are on the footpegs, which is pretty much the de facto position for active riding on dirt or while twisty strafing.
  16. Cuttin

Cuttin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ...Brian....see this 750 for sale on this thread....https://advrider.com/f/threads/tewster2s-2018-nc750x-build.1328435/page-33
    BrianInPA and twinrider like this.
  17. BrianInPA

BrianInPA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Toto, cyclopathic, Cuttin and 2 others like this.
  18. MikefromNL

MikefromNL Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice! Very well documented build and clearly the type of guy you would want to buy a used bike from.
    Enjoy the ride!
    Cuttin and BrianInPA like this.
  19. BrianInPA

BrianInPA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I’m thrilled. He has built a van for long term traveling and pulls a DR350 in an enclosed trailer. He is going to do a test run with this new rig next month and meet me with the NCX halfway up the east coast (I’m in Massachusetts, he’s in Florida.)
    Cuttin and MikefromNL like this.
  20. MikefromNL

MikefromNL Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sweet deal! I hope you enjoy the bike and getting back into it. Ride safe!
    Cuttin and BrianInPA like this.