Returning rider: NC750X dct or Africa Twin dct?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by BrianInPA, Feb 25, 2019.

1. skywalker714

skywalker714 Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I owned a 2012 nc700 and I have a 2017 AT. I have had heart surgery and a hip replacement and owned over 50 bikes. I loved the 700 but it will not go off-road and I must have that. I am short, 29 inseam and 62. The at auto is great and really is the reason I can ride a big bike. If honda updates the 750 like the 500 (19" and leading axle) I may go back to a 750. Most likely put a 19/17 combo on the at and build a off-road/dualsport 500. However a new 650L would shake things up.
  2. BrianInPA

BrianInPA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m leaning towards keeping the DR350 for going off road and keeping the NC750X for on road only use.
    dankatz and Motomantra like this.
  3. rheritage

rheritage Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm in the same boat, had a stroke in Jan 2018, diminished my left arm and leg, coming back slowly but can't up-shift and clutch pull fatigues quickly. I've been riding for over 40 years and it's discouraging not being able to ride like I used to. Started riding my Zuma 125 last summer, balance is there but that's about it.

Honda to the rescue, NC750X DCT, going to pick up 2018 leftover this coming weekend, very excited. I've been riding BMW Airheads most of my life so I'm used to low horsepower, my favorite bike is my 93 R100GSPD. I hope to eventually regain most of my function to be able to ride that bike again but for now the NC will work perfectly.

BTW, I followed build last summer on the bike you're picking up, kitted out nicely, Congrats!!!
    Cruz, dankatz and BrianInPA like this.
  4. Veeblefetzer

Veeblefetzer Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Glad you found the NC750X DCT. For me the NCX or Africa Twin question was decided by Honda never shipping any DCT model NCXs to Northern California, so I just yesterday picked up an AT with the DCT. I'd have gotten the more nimble NCX if they'd tried to sell me one.

Yeah, my plan was just like yours; ride the NCX on the road and my DRZ400 off road (with the help of the ever trusty Econoline.) I guess now I'll just do the same with a bigger road bike. Though I was born in the 60s, I still have all my original parts so the weight of the AT isn't so bad, but it's a porker. After lane splitting here in California on the DRZ it's gonna fly like a pig in comparison.

I've only ridden it 110 miles back from the dealership, in the rain, fog and dark (Adventure!) That DCT is... weird. Good weird, but there's some things to get used to. I think I'm going to like it.

On the Massachusetts tip, I grew up there and bought my first bike from the curator of the Larz Anderson Automobile Museum in Brookline. Good times.
    neanderthal, dankatz and BrianInPA like this.
  5. Txjack

Txjack Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great to see that you picked up on Tim's NC750x. I followed that build also, along w/ van build. Got to meet him for lunch on his shakedown run in the van awhile back. Have followed his travels& youtube for along time. That bike should serve you well. I picked up a 15 NC700x w/<2k mi. around Christmas & have really enjoyed it. Good luck & keep us lurkers out there posted on outcome:-)
    BrianInPA likes this.
  6. orv

orv Busted butt Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just found the thread and think you scored a perfect move! I picked up a NC700XDTC a couple years ago and last year dumped my KTM 1190. You bought a bike that is heavy, but if you don't go down, you will be okay. I put knobby tires on mine for unpaved road control...not for trails with logs and/or rocks. Use your DR for any possibility of rocks or logs. I use the manual shift choice for canyon riding or other specialty poking around. I love the sport mode for commuting, errands, and slabbing. I very seldom use the normal auto mode. You will have plenty of power and will win every hole shot at a light! Congrats!
    Cruz and BrianInPA like this.
  7. BrianInPA

BrianInPA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I met up with Tewster2 in North Carolina this afternoon and his NC750X came home with me. 6DF845CC-E564-4C77-9CE3-3F1B198E5EA0.jpeg
  8. Nihon Newbie

Nihon Newbie Weirdo

Oddometer:
    Congrats!!
    BrianInPA likes this.
  9. BrianInPA

BrianInPA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks! It’s a great looking bike, obviously expertly put together and immaculately cared for. And I’m going to keep the “Royal Enfield” stickers (where the Honda wings would normally be on the gas tank). I often thought of putting some kind of European car badge (from a company that does NOT make bikes) on a bike as an inside joke, but this is good for a grin from anyone who knows bikes and the enormity of the difference between the two marquees.
  10. BronNowo

BronNowo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    it WILL go off-road, at its pace but it will.
    BrianInPA likes this.
  11. timblanch

timblanch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    brian, congrats on the ncx! i own a 2016 AT DCT and as much as i love some attributes there are some big downers including the super gyro 21" front hoop, very, very high CG/tippiness resulting in difficult slow speed control. gotta be super carefull with the throttle or it will jump on you. it's enough for my 51 year old "healthy" reflexes/coordination to have me wanting to switch it out ... (: (note - the AT is a fantastic GIANT dirt bike ... but truthfully, way beyond my ability and appetite for risk. i fell in love with the AT's DCT and rumbly twin motor on my test ride and still love that transmission despite the low speed quirks. the lower power of the NCX might nullify the jumpiness of the AT ... now that i think about it ... )

if you can live with the tighter riding triangle, i think you will really enjoy the NCX with DCT, and shouldn't feel like you shortchanged yourself in not getting the AT.

best to your health and your positive attitude is wonderful to see. tim
    BrianInPA likes this.
  12. BrianInPA

BrianInPA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Tewster2 had installed some good quality aftermarket pegs that are a half inch lower than OEM, plus 2” bar risers, on the bike I brought home last night. Those should go a ways towards opening up the cockpit, especially since I’m taller in the torso than the inseam.

Thanks for the encouragement. I live in a small Christian semi religious community (laity, not priests and brothers) with mostly young adults, and I’m keeping the DR350 to teach those who want to learn to ride. They think it’s amazing/miraculous that someone who has had five strokes is now back to riding, and frankly so do I. So I’m trying to encourage them to never give up, no matter what.
    dduelin, rheritage and Nihon Newbie like this.
  13. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    I'm older than you and had zero issues with my 2016 AT DCT's handling on my daily commute through Tokyo traffic or strafing mountain roads on weekends and blowing by 1290 Super Dukes and other assorted higher powered bikes. A good carpenter doesn't blame his tools. :deal
  14. timblanch

timblanch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    twinrider - i am sure you are a more skilled rider than me! to clarify, i was speaking about the walking, crawling, parking, foot paddling jumpiness and tippiness, not commuting in traffic. i should have been more clear. thanks for giving me the opportunity to explain it a little better, i hope. tim
  15. timblanch

timblanch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i remember letting a friend ride my st1300 once because he was considering buying one. he was surprised when i told him to ride it as long and far as he wanted because it wasn't mine, anyway. he looked at me like i was crazy and asked who's is it? i said it's God's and He lets me use it and so can you. tim
    dduelin, itlives and BrianInPA like this.
  16. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Tim, I've got decent skils but not exceptional. Just commented because I commuted 30 miles a day through city traffic in Tokyo on my Africa, with lots of slow speed lane-splitting, stop and go traffic etc. I just thought the bike was extremely well balanced and easy to ride In those conditions, even with my short 30” inseam. The DCT was a huge labor saver as well.

I'm sure the NX750 must be even easier to ride, being lower with 17" wheels.
    BrianInPA likes this.
  17. BrianInPA

BrianInPA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I’m hoping.

I just got one of those Reevu modular helmets. I’ve been fascinated with their periscopic rear view technology since they were first introduced over a decade ago.

Anyone here use one?
  18. itlives

itlives Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Brian, congrats on that score! I'm 63 and just came off a Versys 1000 (way too fast ) and before that a Super Tenere (way too clunky engine) . I'm on a 650 Vstrom now at about half the hp of the Versys, it's a much more comfortable ride for my slowing down self.
    Before the Super 10, I had an NC700X . It was a great dependable bike but the thing I LOVED about the engine is if you can adjust the valves on an old VW, you can adjust the valves on the NC (no shims).

The NC750 I saw locally looked just like yours and I think they are very good looking!
    Great score!
    BrianInPA likes this.
  19. timblanch

timblanch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    twinrider, yup, agree dct is a "huge labor savor" that relentlessly throws gears at the motor allowing unbelievable real world acceleration due to the speed of the shifts and the absolute certainty they will happen without letting off the throttle. i have found nothing as quick from a stoplight up to about 70 mph, two or four wheels. the confidence to run it flat out without the worry of blowing a shift is truly amazing. this is one of the incredible positives of the dct. now that the weather is improving here in Mary-Land, it's time to get her out and ride! thanks, tim
    BrianInPA likes this.
  20. BrianInPA

BrianInPA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The XXL Reevu FSX1 full face modular is a very large helmet, but it still fit in the frunk with the lid closed completely. Here’s a pic of it next to my XXL HJC full face helmet: EC0E99C0-D2B1-43E4-AF1E-F99971877B2C.jpeg 23ADF61D-9F96-41D9-9422-0199CDB252CC.jpeg
    I got it licensed today and I’ll get it inspected Saturday.
    anjin75 likes this.