Returning rider: NC750X dct or Africa Twin dct?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by BrianInPA, Feb 25, 2019.

1. chasbmw

chasbmw Long timer

Oddometer:
    Tim,
    Try electric, no gears and maximum torque from what feels like 0 revs......( and it’s really simple compared to DCT). One of these days it will work on bikes.
  2. Jeffo

Jeffo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interested to know how your pick up truck handles with a 230 kilo motorcycle on that back platform.
  3. BrianInPA

BrianInPA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Honestly it handled it without any problems. I drove from North Carolina to Harrisburg PA fFriday afternoon then on up to Massachusetts the next day. It certainly handled a bit differently and I dropped my speed about 5 mph but overall you couldn’t tell anything was back there.

I finally got the NCX licensed this week and inspected today, so I just came back from the first 30 mile trip on it. The dct is everything everyone raves about. I didn’t have to think about shifting and hardly noticed any of the shifts. On the highway I preferred the normal Drive setting. Around town I preferred the Sport setting. And the brakes were excellent, ergonomics were right on as was windshield height with the 22” windshield Tewster2 added to it. So far I’m very happy with it.

Also this was my first time riding with a Reevu FSX1 modular periscopic rear view helmet. It’s a worthwhile addition to my riding safety. Works as well as advertised.
    neanderthal and jamesmc like this.
  4. Jeffo

Jeffo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Must have good suspension on that truck, from the pic it looks like it would cause dangerously light steering with that weight past the rear axle. Good truck, seeing as it handled it ok.
    Glad to hear the NCX is suiting you.
  5. BrianInPA

BrianInPA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. It was previously used to tow an 8,000 pound 30 foot camper and the prior owner may have made some rear suspension upgrades. The steering was definitely lighter but not dangerously so. I came through a pretty bad wind and rain storm in Virginia on Route 95 (65-70mph) without any worries.
    Jeffo likes this.
  6. COG-KLR

COG-KLR n00b

Oddometer:
    I recently moved from a KLR650 to a low mileage NC700X - So far I am liking it , although I have to be more cautious when going off road. IMG_0486.JPG
    motorat, Amphib, jamesmc and 2 others like this.
  7. timblanch

timblanch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    that's my preferred selection. i like the lazy, low shifting on the highway, but the dct downshifts much better in sport mode below 20 mph in city traffic. or if you leave it in Drive you will need to thumb downshifts to keep it from stumbling and bumbling in too high a gear as you slow down. tim
    neanderthal and BrianInPA like this.
  8. timblanch

timblanch Adventurer

Oddometer:
    agree! i'm an electric guy. volt with 91,000 electric miles on it. tested a zero DS and was blown away by the experience. but with two new bike purchases in the last three years, i need to stop collecting things for while so i'm holding off on my next purchase, which i'd really like to be electric. tim
  9. mercurydog47

mercurydog47 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have both. I have a 2018 Africa Twin DCT and an NC750x DCT, also 2018. I had another 700x DCT which I sold the exact same day I bought the 750 and I rode an Africa Twin DCT in Ecuador for about 10 days. Honestly, between the two current bikes I would be hard pressed to choose. The NC is a little lighter but the seat height is almost the same as the Africa Twin even though it doesn't look it. I use both bikes about one week each and the front trunk on the NC is really handy. You describe going offroad and that puts you in Africa Twin territory. Hope this helps.
    anjin75 and BrianInPA like this.
  10. BrianInPA

BrianInPA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I already picked up the 2018 NC750X dct that Tewster2 documented here on the forum in his build thread. I'm really happy with it. I'm going to keep it for road riding, and use my DR350se for when I decide to go exploring off pavement.
  11. Melensdad

Melensdad Jerk in a Hawaiian Shirt

Oddometer:
    My wife rides a lowered 2016 NC700x and I have a 2018 NC750x. Both have the DCT transmissions.

I struggled with the Africa Twin -vs- NC750x buying debate when I was shopping. My local dealer had both. With DCT.

We just got back last week from a 4000 mile trip around the Great Lakes. We are both 58 years old, I'm closing in rapidly on 59. Both bikes were flawless. No longer impressed with the speeds of crotch rockets. We have gravel roads around our home and I was not looking to get a big heavy road cruiser when I went shopping last year. The Africa Twin really was calling to me. But the NC750x DCT won out in the long run as just being the bike that I needed versus the bike that I wanted but wouldn't actually get as much use out of. The NC750x is simply easy to ride, no hassle, not so much weight as to be an issue, not too tall to flat foot and just so convenient to use.

You are going to enjoy the ride. And that "frunk" is just a great added convenience that, once you have one, you never want to give up.

I will always lust after the Africa Twin. But if I am true to my lusting heart, I'd rather have the new MotoGuzzi V85 than the Africa Twin. Seriously doubt that the 'lust' will over come my common sense and I hope to ride this NC750x DCT for 100,000 miles.

Enjoy the ride.

As its been a while since you posted I'm curious to hear your updates of how you like the ride and what you've done on it and with it.

[​IMG]
    Amphib, BrianInPA and MikefromNL like this.
  12. BrianInPA

BrianInPA Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I added the oem Honda luggage rack and their 48l top case, the Madstad windshield system, and some aluminum frame Bark Buster type hand guards. I almost always use it now with the top case but not the side cases. I found the side cases made it too awkward getting on and off with my weakened left leg.

I have ridden it on gravel state forrest roads now too with no difficulties, but that will probably be the extent of my riding “off-road with this bike.

I’m thrilled with this bike, couldn’t be happier.

I kept my DR350, for occasional more adventurous off road riding, but mostly as a “loner bike” to encourage some of the young adults I work with to try riding. I hadn’t ridden it since last fall myself but went for a ride on it last week - and realized I’ll rarely ride it again. The NC750X is just such a nicer ride in every category and frankly I just don’t desire to go deep off road any more.

I took a 4 hour ride Sunday with one of the younger guys I work with and let him ride my DR350. He’s had a motorcycle license for 2 years but had only ridden on the road once he got his license 3 times. So we had a nice leisurely ride in the mountains of western Massachusetts and he was grinning ear to ear.

The combination of the frunk and the top case on this bike, along with the dct, makes this easily the most convenient and comfortable bike I’ve ever ridden.
    dduelin and Melensdad like this.