Returning to riding after heart angioplasty and stent

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by MotorcycleWriter, Aug 5, 2018.

1. RoadRdr

RoadRdr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    1 stent in 2011 LAD 95% blocked placed via femoral artery. Placed on Effient and 81 aspirin. If I recall correctly, no riding for two or three weeks due to femoral artery heal time. Returned to all normal activity. I do some gym time, home weights, tried yoga (discovered I’m painfully inflexible) , rollerblade 8 to 12 miles when weather permits. Teach MSF classes that can require 5 to 8 miles of walking. I was only on Effient for 6 months.

Had a follow up Cath through the wrist this past October. All clear!!! However this time it was through the right wrist. I thought I was following the instructions, carrying nothing heavier than a half gallon of milk for two weeks. Wrist problems persisted and still have some. But doc says it from ulnar nerve and not my wrist.

Thanks for that article. I’ve recently decided to up my seriousness about reducing salt, sugar and add more daily activity. That article is a good nudge.
    To the OP good luck with your recovery.
  2. Petzl

Petzl Been here awhile Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Had a heart attack @42. Stent in the LAD (skinny/healthy normal BP and cholesterol)
    Had heart attack on a Sunday, discharged on tuesday, rode into work on Wednesday.

Moral of the story... Do what you feel is right for you.
    Berchunis and rustycager like this.
  3. chip8150

chip8150 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Good luck with your recovery to the OP!

My story...53 years old, no previous health issues...heart attack 11 days ago...RCA 100% blocked, Ramus 95% blocked...RCA stent installed through groin hours after heart attack...Ramus stent installed the following day through right wrist...during Ramus procedure the RCA stent discovered to be contaminated w/ towel fibers and 100% blocked again...RCA blockage partially cleared during Ramus procedure...third procedure two days ago with stent sleeve inserted into original RCA stent through right wrist...on blood thinner Prasugrel (Effient) & 81 Aspirin...planning to leave this upcoming Monday for a month long ride around NE Canada and US...Doc has no problem with this plan...live life.
    Mouse likes this.
  4. baka1969

baka1969 Veteran Bubblehead

Oddometer:
    IMG_20180910_070551.jpg 9 years ago I had a heart attack and 2 stents were put in. I had my 2nd this past Saturday. I had 3 stents put in the left side my heart. They want to do a quadruple bypass for the right side. Tomorrow or Thursday.

Hopefully I'll be riding within a month.
    DCrider likes this.
  5. TrashCan

TrashCan Scary Jerry

Oddometer:

Took me about 3 months after my quad bypass.
  6. baka1969

baka1969 Veteran Bubblehead

Oddometer:
    Don't tell me that!! LOL
  7. TrashCan

TrashCan Scary Jerry

Oddometer:

When they open the chest...do the pt.
  8. tarbaby3

tarbaby3 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Have read all the posts and have had my own cardiac adventures with a failed mitral valve repaired in 2009 , Hodgkins Lymphoma in 2002, Stroke in 2017, pacemaker in 2017. I am now on Eliquis , the blood thinner, since my stroke in May 2017. I have continued to ride and try to limit risks on the road. If you want some interesting reading about diet and heart disease , hear are a few reads for you , The China Study by T. Colin Campbell, Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease by Caldwell Esselstyn M D , or Dr. Dean Ornish. All of these people are advocating a plant based diet. It is definitely food for thought , especially if you have already had blockages. There is some new evidence that you can even change some of the genetics. I am a Dentist with a long interest in diet and health for my patients , and the role of inflammation in the body. I am still on the path , but did 2200 mi. solo ride from NC to Arkansas to ride the curves of the Ozarks. Good Health to my fellow riders.
  9. Hootowl

Hootowl Long timer

Oddometer:
    Genes can't be changed. But the way they "express" (turned on or off) their characteristics can be.
    Its called Epigenetics.
    https://www.whatisepigenetics.com/what-is-epigenetics/

Systemic inflammation is a big component of all the major diseases that are affecting people today. Heart disease, Cancer, Arthritis, Auto immune, etc etc
    If you're eating the Standard American Diet (SAD) your eating a pro inflammatory diet.
  10. HappyPlace

HappyPlace Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For me it was a heart attack at 48. I had to be hit with the paddles twice on the way to the hospital. Really the first thing I remember afterwards was lying in the bed and the Doctor came in to tell me what was going on. First question: Am I going to live so that I can be with my family? Answer Yes! Second question that I had, will I be able to ride again? Answer – It’s up to you.

I was back on my bike 3 weeks later, no wrist problems, they went through my leg. I had 4 stents done that day. I did have problems for 2 years after that with a stent that kept closing up with scar tissue. I would start to feel tired and winded and head back to the cath lab. 5 trips total with them trying to fix it, never worked long term, every 3-4 months I would start feeling the same again. Finally after 2 years I had a bypass to fix things right. Watch out for that, if you feel something isn’t quite right go have it checked out!

One thing that it really opened my eyes to is how much I love riding and what a huge part of my life it is. I ride more than ever now. I make the time to get out there vs only riding when I have time. I decided that I wasn’t going to let this change how I ride or where I ride but I have added to my kit.

I when I’m heading off road I always wear a GPS locater (spot 3) in case something happens. I have added to my first aid kit (due to blood thinners) extra bandages; blood clotting spray and powder, nitroglycerin tabs or spray. I also keep an emergency contact and medications I’m on in my wallet.

For me I think the stress reduction that riding brings outweighs the added risks if managed properly.
    Berchunis, DCrider and Mouse like this.
  11. yobuddy

yobuddy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After I received my artificial aortic valve, I was unable to ride for about 8-9 weeks. When they open you up like a walnut, that wound takes a while to heal. Couldn't even drive a car for almost 4 weeks. You can't turn your upper body to look when changing lanes.
    Your body will let you know when it is ready to ride again.
  12. HappyPlace

HappyPlace Adventurer

Oddometer:
    8 to 9 weeks isn't all that bad. I made the mistake on having "minimally invasive" surgery for my bypass. They went in through my side / back not through the sternum. Almost 2 years on I still have severe nerve pain and numbness on the right side of my chest forward of the incision. I wish I had been "cracked like a walnut" LOL...
    rick danger likes this.
  13. TrashCan

TrashCan Scary Jerry

Oddometer:

I had the AAA aorta repair a couple of years ago, goes with the stents already in both legs.

Haven't stopped riding yet...got hit from the rear Friday by a hit and run driver at a red light.
    I didn't go down but took a wild ride.
    Bar None likes this.
  14. Bar None

Bar None Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    TC, Sorry to hear that. Gotta thread on it?
  15. ghedunk

ghedunk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Triple bypass back on the bike in 3 weeks .
  16. galejt

galejt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't ride alone...
  17. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    Only way to ride...

and no way I'd let a pillion on my bike, way too risky for them.
  18. fredgreen

fredgreen let's take it apart....

Oddometer:
    I didn't read every post, but I'll chime in with my 2 cents worth. I had a stent in my LAD last December, was told to take Plavix for a year, a baby aspirin a day, and prescribed a statin for cholesterol. The statin was chucked in the bin as I have always had low cholesterol, doc thinks the blockage is a hereditary thing as my brother had the same thing. Most stents these days are made of a metal compound which will not allow platelets to clot onto, so I'm not sure of the need for a year of anti-coagulants( in Europe it is 6 months ). I was told the day after the stent to get back out and do whatever I enjoyed doing, so I'm thinking that docs don't have a playbook to read from after heart procedures and just give you their opinion, not really based on medical facts. Whoever said alcohol is good for the heart should get the facts straight, it isn't. I'm not saying that to stir the pot, I love beer, and plenty of it, but the bottom line is that alcohol is bad for the heart if you go for much over a drink a day. As for riding, the anti coagulant would be the only thing to be of concern, and then, only if you crashed. I think I took the Plavix for about 3 months, then binned it. A smarter man than myself (he's a doctor ) told me that it's main use was for preventing clotting where the angio plasty had pushed against the artery wall and if it took three months for that to heal you have bigger issues with your health anyway. My advice; get back out there! Life is to be lived, you never know what's in store for you even 5 minutes from now, so enjoy every second. I know this painfully well as I lost my wife at 37 years old when a cage driver hit her bike head on while she was coming home from work. I now enjoy every moment of life regardless of what I'm told I should or shouldn't do.
    Mouse, DCrider and MotorcycleWriter like this.
  19. sandsman

sandsman Shut up and ride!!!!

Oddometer:
    I had the same thing in 2014, I returned to riding after the soreness wore off. maybe like 2 to 3 weeks. But right now I am waiting to get scheduled for a 4 bypass surgery and a leaky valve fix. I am going to ride this week (been riding up to this point) and fill up the bikes with non ethanol gas and some fuel stabilizer. I will be off the bikes for 3 to 4 or more months. Mainly remember that your body will tell you not to do something, unusual pain or something just doesn't feel right, then don't do it.
  20. MotorcycleWriter

MotorcycleWriter Vis ad locum

Oddometer:
    I definitely have the ego to injure myself in whatever activity. Time to grow up a little... but I’m only 53!
    DCrider likes this.