Returning to riding after heart angioplasty and stent

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by MotorcycleWriter, Aug 5, 2018.

1. sandsman

sandsman Shut up and ride!!!!

Oddometer:
    I was 55 for the angioplasty in 2014, now getting ready for the 4 bypass surgery and valve repair either Friday or Monday. I hope it's Monday as I can ride on Saturday (Heart cath was last Friday). Evidently when I rode to Alaska last year, I was probly clogged then too.
  2. MotorcycleWriter

MotorcycleWriter Vis ad locum

Oddometer:
    So is that open heart? That’s what it sounds like.
  3. sandsman

Oddometer:
    Yes, it will be. I am waiting on the scheduler to call as of right now. So the surgery will be either this Friday or next Monday. If they don't call by today, I figure next Monday is the surgery date. I will add, I'm riding this weekend if I am not in the hospital recuperating from surgery.
    Mouse likes this.
  4. sandsman

Oddometer:
    Well it's getting real up in here. My surgery is scheduled for next Thursday at 8 am in Dallas at Presbyterian Hospital. I'll be getting 4 bypasses and a heart valve repair or replacement. Surgery will take about 6 hours. I get to ride this weekend and then the bikes will all be put up on tenders and the gas will have stabile in the tanks. My sis is coming up from south Texas to be with my wife. I'm ready to get this show on the road as I am a bit impatient.
    TrashCan and DCrider like this.
  5. MotorcycleWriter

Oddometer:
    Good luck and God bless. I’m sure you’ll be back in the bikes in no time. Make sure you let us how it goes!

Hope your weather is good. We’re on 5 1/2 months of temperatures in North Alabama!
  6. sandsman

Oddometer:
    It's a possibility of rain (30-40%) in the 80's, but if you're a rider, that doesn't mean anything. Besides, this my last weekend to ride for a while, 6-8 weeks. I am not going to throw it out. I love riding.
    DCrider likes this.
  7. DCrider

DCrider Live from THE Hill

Oddometer:
    Man after reading all this next Tuesday I'm going to call my cardiologist to get a check up. I had A-flutter ablation procedure last February, it went well but they also discovered a leaky mitral valve. I've had some cholesterol issues and my BP is been creeping up the last 3 mos despite heart healthy dietary changes since last winter, I'm not over weight and only 53.
  8. baka1969

baka1969 Veteran Bubblehead

Oddometer:
    Unfortunately it looks like 2 1/2 months for me after mine. About another 6 weeks. It seems I was a bit optimistic. lol. But only another week or so before I can drive. That's something.
  9. baka1969

baka1969 Veteran Bubblehead

Oddometer:

Good luck!

I'm about a month past my heart attack and a little over three weeks past the quad bypass.

Don't be in a hurry. It takes at least a week before you don't feel like you've been run over by a truck.

The three things that suck the most post-op:

1) breathing tube
    2) chest tubes
    3) coughing

After those, the rest is a breeze! lol

Again, good luck.
    sandsman likes this.
  10. sandsman

Oddometer:
    That's what I hear. Since surgery is scheduled for next Thursday, I'm riding this weekend.
    rick danger and baka1969 like this.
  11. rick danger

rick danger The further adventures of

Oddometer:
    Good luck....OHS is in my future. 4.6 cm aortic aneurysm. Bicuspid aortic valve. Been keeping it stable for year and a half with BP meds. Minimal calcification of valve. Funniest thing is zero calcium score after a lifetime of eating fatty italian dry sausage and any other crap I wanted. Drank all my life. Thats what probably caused the high BP and resulting aneurysm. But maybe helped the cholesterol? Who knows. They said bad cholesterol was a little high, but good was high as well.
    sandsman likes this.
  12. rick danger

rick danger The further adventures of

Oddometer:
    Tip from a guy at work that had OHS...ask for morphine before they remove the drains.....he said that was the worst part. But the whole thing all in all wasnt as bad as he thought.
    sandsman likes this.
  13. MotorcycleWriter

Oddometer:
    Did you get some decent weather to ride? I worked up on my roof all weekend finishing up a chimney repair. Ugh. Up and down ladders and up and down a 7/12 roof. All I could think was how it would have all been impossible with my arterial blockage. All of a sudden I could not even climb stairs and now I have more stamina than I've had in decades. You'll come back stronger but you already know that.
    TRoberts likes this.
  14. sandsman

Oddometer:
    Yes and I'm riding around getting my errands done today, filling up with non ethanol gas and putting Stabill in them, and yes, one last little ride.
  15. MotorcycleWriter

Oddometer:
    No. Not one _last_ little ride. People in Wisconsin take much longer riding breaks every year than you are about to take. They’re already putting their bikes up for the winter. You’ll be back on yours before their snow has melted.
  16. sandsman

Oddometer:
    Well my surgery was moved to next week due to my blood sugar being a little to high when I went for my labs yesterday. I was told it was ok to have breakfast, then when we got there, I shouldn't have eaten after all. Oh well, the dr has the call on this.
  17. Berchunis

Berchunis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    After retiring from a very stressful job, I had a triple coronary bypass in August 05, followed by two stints in left leg, one in the right. Four weeks later I was back on the BMW R1150R. That December I bought a new 06' Gold Wing with NAV and ABS. In early 2006 I began to tour the county on the GW for over 7 years. West coast to East coast. Midwest, California PCH, Sturgis a few times, Daytona Bike Week, etc...

I've slowed down a bit. Sold the GW and bought a HD, then traded for a BMW R1200RLC which I now ride.

Don't know about you guys, but riding a motorcycle helps to keep me alive.
    sandsman and DCrider like this.
  18. sandsman

Oddometer:
    I am still in the waiting que, possibly late this coming week for the surgery. It's raining really hard here today, but I will get out tomorrow afternoon to go help out with some wiring/electrical help on a friends bike. Tomorrow looks fairly dry except late.
    MotorcycleWriter and baka1969 like this.
  19. Berchunis

Berchunis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just take it easy and get that sugar level down. Watch your food portions. My GF is a Diabetic 2. For her it's: No sugar/white flour/white rice/white bread/peanut butter and small portions of potato. No French fries.
  20. sandsman

Oddometer:
    Yeah, tell me about it...….if it tastes good......it's bad for you. But the good news is my blood sugar is down. Just got the call, back on the surgical schedule for 7:30 am this Friday..…..I'm ready to get this done!
    baka1969, Berchunis and TRoberts like this.